Leaving our DVC room

Broker

Mouseketeer
Just got back from our first trip. Didn't know what to do. We didn't know what to clean and put up. I asked the front desk folks and they said they will do a thorough cleaning when we left. Was this the right info? What I mean is dishes, trash etc.

But the experience and the room were incredible.

Yes, they thoroughly clean the rooms between guests. That's why the check in time at DVC resorts is 4pm instead of 3pm, and I've rarely been able to get into my room before 4pm at that. I try to leave the room in organized chaos, to make it as easy as possible for the housekeepers, but that's about it.

This is what we do:

Strip beds
Remove all towels and put them all in a pile
Load up dishwasher and start it as we walk out the door
Pick up all trash and put it in the trash room
Empty refrig and throw away food, if any ice cream or good stuff, we leave it just in case they might want it
We don't vacume!

When we stay at other TS, this is what they tell the occupants to do, which I think is a good idea.

You are not required to do anything but I usually empty the fridge, get all trash into the can (sometimes take it out if the room is close), load the dishwasher if not in studio (in studio leave dishes in sink), straighten up a little.

If we use the sleeper sofa, we leave it open so that they know it has been used and can set it back up accordingly.

We start the dishwasher because the cycle takes so long. If the Mousekeepers wash the dishes, it delays the room being released for the next Guest.

Okay, DW and myself have an ongoing debate about this. I always kind of tidy up the room and even pull the covers up and straighten the bed. I know they will change the linens, but I just like to leave it neat. Just as soon as I do this though she comes behind and messes the bed up saying the housekeeping will just strip the sheets, etc. I don't see what the big deal is about not leaving the place tidy :confused3. But she does for some reason.

We strip the beds
put all the towels in the tub
put dirty dishes in the dishwasher and start it
empty the fridge (including the ice maker)
Gather up all the garbage and tie the bags (throw away used soaps)
clean the stove and microwave if we have used them
call or notify housekeeping when we leave

We strip the beds
put all the towels in the tub
put dirty dishes in the dishwasher and start it
empty the fridge (including the ice maker)
Gather up all the garbage and tie the bags (throw away used soaps)
clean the stove and microwave if we have used them
call or notify housekeeping when we leave
:goodvibes
We do the same although I cry the whole time! Not because we're cleaning but because it means the end! We all chime in what are favorite parts of the trip were as we clean.

Okay, DW and myself have an ongoing debate about this. I always kind of tidy up the room and even pull the covers up and straighten the bed. I know they will change the linens, but I just like to leave it neat. Just as soon as I do this though she comes behind and messes the bed up saying the housekeeping will just strip the sheets, etc. I don't see what the big deal is about not leaving the place tidy :confused3. But she does for some reason.

Save the argument and the house keepers some work and strip it!:goodvibes

I do not strip any beds or pile up towels anywhere. I also do not take the trash OUT but I try to leave it all consolidated for them in one spot. I DO leave the sofa bed open so they can see it was used and I DO empty the frig. and I DO wash up the coffee pot & any dishes we've used. We only use studios so I don't have a dishwasher to run or stove to clean...or lint to clean out of the dryer or anything like that...

this may be a silly question - but in the studios, what dishes do you have to do?? (I thought it was all paper plates etc??)

Sorry I have probably missed something as I am new to all this!!:lmao:

this may be a silly question - but in the studios, what dishes do you have to do?? (I thought it was all paper plates etc??)

Sorry I have probably missed something as I am new to all this!!:lmao:

The studios provide you with a limited amount of paper plates & bowls and plastic silverware (like 4 plates & 4 bowls & 4 sets of the plastic silverware) but there's also a coffee pot and glass water glasses and ceramic coffee mugs. I know they changed to disposables for awhile last year but I think they've gone back to "real" glassware in all of them now. They had to install dishwashers in the freestanding DVC resorts so they could be sure everything is washed properly inbetween guests. (They don't trust that some people don't just do a rinse off. Personally, I always WASH our stuff in hot water tho...)

The studios provide you with a limited amount of paper plates & bowls and plastic silverware (like 4 plates & 4 bowls & 4 sets of the plastic silverware) but there's also a coffee pot and glass water glasses and ceramic coffee mugs. I know they changed to disposables for awhile last year but I think they've gone back to "real" glassware in all of them now. They had to install dishwashers in the freestanding DVC resorts so they could be sure everything is washed properly inbetween guests. (They don't trust that some people don't just do a rinse off. Personally, I always WASH our stuff in hot water tho...)

thanks Annie - thats great info!!:thumbsup2

I put all the towels in the bathroom, collect all trash and bag it. Tidey up the counters etc. Here's a quetion I've been wondering, are we expected to tip? I have been but don't know if that's customary in timeshare.

We empty the fridge, take the trash to the trash room and start the dishwasher on the way out.

I put all the towels in the bathroom, collect all trash and bag it. Tidey up the counters etc. Here's a quetion I've been wondering, are we expected to tip? I have been but don't know if that's customary in timeshare.

From reading on these threads, housekeeping positions are non-tipping.
However, you will find many threads that go back and forth as to what people personally do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter