Leaving in 20 days - getting worried

Cinderella822

DIS Veteran
I'm so excited that my trip is getting so close now, but with all I'm reading on here, I'm worried about the crowds. They sound so horrible. Am I wasting my money and my vacation by going in July this year. I went in August last year and it was crowded, but we managed to do all we wanted to. I understand there is an increase in the crowds this year. For people just back, was it really that bad? I'm starting to regret my decision to go in the summer. Are there ways around the crowds? What worked for you? :confused3

Have you bought the UG or TGM? Or any kind of plan?

I found that you can't plan too much. Spontaneity happens, but the real magic is in the planning ;)

Marseeya said:
Have you bought the UG or TGM? Or any kind of plan?

I found that you can't plan too much. Spontaneity happens, but the real magic is in the planning ;)

Well, if you ask my family, I've over planned! I've already had to change my plans once because some of the EMH days changed and I'm trying to avoid those! The info I've gotten off of this board has really helped, but sometimes it makes me even more worried. I guess no matter how much planning you do, in the end, you can't control the crowds. I'm so worried about getting to Epcot first thing and getting a FP for Soarin' as I've heard such horror stories about the long lines and FP's running out by noon. I'm afraid I'll be so hung up on getting to these rides early that I'll forget how to relax and just enjoy my trip.

I'm in the same boat as you (we leave in 22 days). I have been worrying over the crowds for weeks now. My youngest put things into perspective for me....he reminded me that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a bad time at WDW & that not everyone else knows all the "secrets" that we know. This might not be the trip that we are used to but, at least we get to go.

njziggy said:
I'm in the same boat as you (we leave in 22 days). I have been worrying over the crowds for weeks now. My youngest put things into perspective for me....he reminded me that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a bad time at WDW & that not everyone else knows all the "secrets" that we know. This might not be the trip that we are used to but, at least we get to go.

That's certainly a good attitude! I'll have to try to remember to think like that when I'm in the midst of panic. I guess I'll just have to take it as it comes and be flexible.

Ugh, I know what you mean. I have planned this trip so much (maybe too much) that I keep worrying. I've started the sleepless nights too and I have about 2 weeks left....

As long as you get up early get the important attractions done as soon as you can, and in my case....avoid all EMH(no hopper, but this can change). Don't forget the parks are still open pretty late even on non emh nights so you should be fine.....

Can you tell I am trying to convince myself?:rotfl:

My DH and I just got back from a short 3 day trip over the 4th of July holiday and the crowds were not bad at all in my opinion compared to other times that I have gone in July and August. We did follow the advice from others on this board to get a fast pass for Soarin in Epcot first which we did on the 4th of July at 10:53am and could not ride until 2:45, which at that point they had stop giving out FastPass.
Don't worry to much about the crowds and just enjoy your vacation. :flower:

Personally, I always love travelling off-peak, especially when going to touristy destinations. The lack of crowds and the lower prices are big pluses to me, and when dealing with WDW, I don't think I've ever missed out on an attraction I wanted to see/do. One time Typhoon Lagoon was closed, so I couldn't go surfing, but there was still Blizzard Beach if I wanted to go to a water park.

1. Get to each park 30 min. before rope drop.
2. Follow a touring plan (UG or TGM).
3. Always have a fast pass going.
4. Make PS for table service. Eat an early lunch if eating CS.

Follow these rules and the crowds won't bother you at all.
Yesterday someone who was at WDW almost the identical dates I was posted that the crowds were terrible and they had very long waits and hardly got to ride anything. We were in the parks 10 days (incl. Mem. Day weekend) and our longest wait was 17 minutes, in mid-afternoon, for a non-FP attraction.

Don't worry.

I think it is all up to you how your vacation is going to go. I love planning especially with the help of fellow Dis'ers but at the same time I want to just be there and I may not feel like doing a ride or seeing a show when I had planned it.

As long as you go with the flow and not worry about the "crowds". I think we should all be happy that the crowds are there. I remember when there was hardly anyone there in the summer. And that to me is 10 times scarier than having to deal with a longer wait time!

Don't Worry be Happy!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :grouphug:

missypie said:
1. Get to each park 30 min. before rope drop.
2. Follow a touring plan (UG or TGM).
3. Always have a fast pass going.
4. Make PS for table service. Eat an early lunch if eating CS.

Follow these rules and the crowds won't bother you at all.
Yesterday someone who was at WDW almost the identical dates I was posted that the crowds were terrible and they had very long waits and hardly got to ride anything. We were in the parks 10 days (incl. Mem. Day weekend) and our longest wait was 17 minutes, in mid-afternoon, for a non-FP attraction.

Don't worry.

::yes::

We leave in -- gasp! -- 10 days, for a two week stay.

Enter the park early, and then LEAVE early -- before noon, if you can. Plot some strategy, establish your priorities, and you'll be fine. And yes: from what I'm hearing, AVOID the parks on their EMH days.

And the advice on meals is very good: the earlier you can eat, the better. (And, fwiw, if you're doing buffets, it's much better to get there early anyway, before everything has been picked over and pulled apart!)

Take a deep breath and have a wonderful time. It's Disney, after all ::MickeyMo

I was so nervous and scared about the crowds right before I left too. You will be fine, I worried needlessly. My family and I had an absolutely fabulous time. Listen to Missypie and follow her advice. Remember the little things and try to enjoy something special just for yourself. For me, I got up early every morning and took a swim all by myself at our resort. Those moments before the busy day got started really helped me keep the magic going. Don't be scared, you are going to love it!!!!!

I want to go back...

Our family leaves in 24 days :cheer2: and I am not worried about the crowds :crowded: but the hurricanes!! :scared: - I get the feeling we will be at MK with ponchos on blowing around down main street - but we will be there :rotfl:

You'll be fine. Sure, there are long lines but when you talk about Disney, the first thing that a lot of people think of is long lines. They are unavoidable but if you do the right combo of rides at the right times, it is no sweat.

(Just do all major rides first, then work on down to minor ones, then back up to major during slow times)

We leave in 29 days for a week at POP and I don't care about crowds (our third Aug trip) or hurricanes (rode out Charlie last year at AKL) or anything else for that matter coz about a month ago we thought we'd have to cancel our entire 2 week trip.

I'll be in WDW so bring it on!!!!!!!!! :moped: :moped: :moped:

Thank you :flower: Thank you for asking and thank you for all the responses!! We too went last August and thought the crowds were fine. We were there between hurricanes - just lucky I guess. So we too are going in July (19 days to be exact!) We have research and check and cross compared. I have searched and read everything I can find. I too have probably over prepared but that's how I came :earsgirl:

So bring it on - we are ready for it!!

19 days to POP :mickeybar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter