Leaving in 2 hours! Quick question regarding pins!

Rosebud123

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Do you think I can bring 4 lanyards covered with pins on my carryon? I'm sure the answer is yes and I'm just being paranoid, but I'll cry if I have to throw them away!!

Thank you.

Hi all,

Do you think I can bring 4 lanyards covered with pins on my carryon? I'm sure the answer is yes and I'm just being paranoid, but I'll cry if I have to throw them away!!

Thank you.
You wouldn't have to throw them away. Worst case scenario, take them back to your car.

IIRC, pins are fine in carry ons, but you might do better with them in checked luggage.

There is no need to call the airline. Why not check the TSA website and look at the list of prohibited items? Pins are fine in carry on bags.

I travel with my Hard Rock Café pin bag with around 300 pins in it all the time, and carry it on, I take it out of my bag, like a lap top, 1/2 the time they look at it, open it and look at the pins, say those are cool, and hand it back to me, MCO is use to pins, and never look at my bag.
Now Phoenix check it every time, never had any trouble in 20 years of carry pins on the plane.

Call the airline! We always put ours in checked bags just to be safe.

That's the best way to loose something, let the TSA and the airline baggage guys have it!

And the airline could care less what you do. It's the TSA who deals with this. What you get when you call the airline is some customer service agent who is clueless.

Seriously, bring them on. If you get the TSA "jerk du jour" just smile at him/her and ask for a supervisor. Pins aren't banned. People carry on tons of them to and from Orlando every day.

I really hope you didn't put them in your checked bags. That is a very bad idea. They are just fine in your carry-on. That is how I bring mine to WDW and I have never had an issue.

That's the best way to loose something, let the TSA and the airline baggage guys have it!

And the airline could care less what you do. It's the TSA who deals with this. What you get when you call the airline is some customer service agent who is clueless.

Seriously, bring them on. If you get the TSA "jerk du jour" just smile at him/her and ask for a supervisor. Pins aren't banned. People carry on tons of them to and from Orlando every day.
M
Good Lord, I should know by now that even a simple post can get snarky replies! I said to call the airline because it seemed like they were in a hurry - I thought the airline customer service would be familiar with TSA regulations and could give a quick answer. We have always put pins in our luggage and have never had any problems. You do it your way, I'll do it my way. Not your place to say my way is wrong. I will think twice before posting any more.

Last edited:
OCC wasn't wrong in anyway, or snarky IMO. She was totally correct.

TSA has a handy dandy app within their site to look up things that you can and can't take on a plane.

Helping people know that they will be wasting their time by calling someone (the airline regarding TSA issues, hitting the "front desk" button when onsite at WDW and thinking it'll get you to the "front desk" there at your resort, etc) isn't snark. It's useful.

M
Good Lord, I should know by now that even a simple post can get snarky replies! I said to call the airline because it seemed like they were in a hurry - I thought the airline customer service would be familiar with TSA regulations and could give a quick answer. We have always put pins in our luggage and have never had any problems. You do it your way, I'll do it my way. Not your place to say my way is wrong. I will think twice before posting any more.

Simply put, it is never wise to put anything that is of great value to you in your checked bags. Luggage gets lost, and unfortunately there are dishonest people working at the airlines. If something is important to you, then keep it with you in your carry on. If that is not allowed, then you best choice is to leave that item at home.

M

That poster was not snarky in any way. TSA is the authority here, not some uninformed airline rep and they have a website which could have been checked faster than calling.

I think you're a bit too thin skinned to participate in online discussion boards if you are so offended when someone disagrees with you.

being a pin collector and trader (sometimes) NEVER put pins in checked bags They are allowed in carry on
I put my pin bag in the bin alone I use it as my personal item actually and keep the pin trading logo face up and if its quite I just let them know I have a bag with lots of metal in aka pins most TSA agents wont be mad they are used to people flying to Orlando with lots of pins same for your departures from Orlando some are even traders/collectors them selves

Pins are VERY MUCH known for disappearing from checked baggage! If you want to risk having them go missing, put them in your checked bag. ;)

When traveling with my pins (usually back home after visiting the parks) I always put them in my carry on luggage. I don't want to risk any going missing! I have been collecting for over 25 years and have never had a problem with this. Also, take a picture with your smartphone of the pins that you are traveling with so you can account for them when you get to your destination.

Pins are VERY MUCH known for disappearing from checked baggage! If you want to risk having them go missing, put them in your checked bag. ;)

What are you basing this on? I would think if someone were going to steal items from checked baggage, pins wouldn't be a high value item; rather more likely to lose jewelry, money, and electronics.

What are you basing this on? I would think if someone were going to steal items from checked baggage, pins wouldn't be a high value item; rather more likely to lose jewelry, money, and electronics.
Ummm....maybe the fact that MANY PIN GROUPS I participate in on the internet....
People come back and post that they had pins stolen out of their checked luggage.
So they share in hopes of helping someone else avoid having happen to them what they experienced.

It would be so easy to sell the pins on line. Even at only $5 a piece one lanyard full can get you $100.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter