Leaving Friday ? about food Shopping

THE RAT

Mouseketeer
We are Leaving Friday for FW and not getting there till Monday. Before I leave I am buying sandwich Meats for the ride down.and DH wants me to Buy our steaks and hamburg etc.down there How is the food stores down there for meats or should I just buy them up here. Thanks

We shopped on our way to FW. Getting in and out of the grocery store parking lot was tricky though. lol. Although the stores are fine, I personally like shopping for my meat at home. I repak and freeze the meat before I put it in the cooler. Then I don't have to mess with leaky store plastic wrap etc. It also helps the ice situation in the beginning.
Good Luck and do what's right for you!
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

There's a costco down there that has great ribeyes. I've never driven an RV in there so I can't tell you if the parking would be hard but I've definitely seen other rv's in the lot-the big honking ones, too.

THE RAT,

We live about 1.5hours north of you. We've only been to Disney once in our MH (so far). We did the bulk of our shopping in NH (tax free). We then only had to buy fresh produce and milk when we arrived in Florida.

I froze as much as I could and put ran the frig on the way down. I also pre-cooked some things to make food preparation easier. I made taco filling, meatballs (for subs) and froze them.

For the trip down I bought precooked Oscar Meyer bacon, precooked chicken strips (in the refrigerator section), a bag of salad (the lettuce only kind) and a few tomatoes (prewashed at home). I was then able to make BLT's, and chicken wraps (can use a different salad dressings for different tastes) using the precooked meat, salad greens and tomato. When we arrived all I had was a couple of butter knives to wash.

Have a safe trip down. We can't wait for our next trip.

We usually bring our meat from home. We freeze everything before we leave.You never know what quality you will get somewhere else. Then, when we get there we pick up all the fresh stuff. I

hi

We bring our meat from home. DH is the cook in our house :love: he has it tenderized and ready to go! we do stop at the local stores (last year I signed up for the in store cards you scan).. I just used our home address and they gave me one right at the customer service counter. I keep this card in the camper.. we usually stop and get local shrimp on our trips to the fort. Sometimes we drive to Costco too.(after we unhook)

Dh likes to see what's different in the grocery stores and if he finds a spice or something new he stocks up :)

Sam's, Costco, Publix and Winn Dixie all have good meat. Be careful at Kash n Karry and Albertson’s and avoid Walmart at all cost. They put something in the meat at the packaging plant to make it last longer and it really changes the texture and the taste as well.

I prefer to not freeze steak. We do sometimes but I would much rather buy it fresh.

Thanks everyone I did pick up a few things and I'll stop and get a few more thing on the way down Thanks everyone :flower:

Memph1s said:
avoid Walmart at all cost. They put something in the meat at the packaging plant to make it last longer and it really changes the texture and the taste as well.

Well, this explains something that the DW & I have been trying to figure out. We has a few steaks in the freezer with a "unique" texture and taste. We just couldn't figure it out. Now that we think of it we got som at a Super WalMart. Hmmm.......

Now, on th the question at hand. My favorite stores are the Florida based chain Publix Supermarkets. You can stop on your way in, as to go back out can be quite a drive. If necessary stop again if you make any side trips off Disney property. There are many other stores in the local area including Winn Dixie and Goodings (a bit high in prices). The closest Publix I have found is Publix Regency Village Shopping Center.

Driving Directions:

*Exit the Disney complex on Hotel Plaza Blvd (Lake Buena Vista) to 535, turning right on 535.
*Drive under I-4, turning left at the first light after you cross under I-4. This should be Vineland Ave.
*Continue on Vineland Ave, pass the outlet stores (nice center) and follow the signs to Publix.

This is about 5 minutes further than Goodings, but you save a bunch!

Super Walmart is really good/cheap for everything except meat! and we waited forever at their deli counter. It was really crowded and everyone was getting a million pounds of meat. Well, not really, but it was the slowest service I have ever seen anywhere. My local grocery store does a great job of moving people quickly through their deli (amazing sometimes) so we're spoiled. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter