Leaving for Disney on 1/5; Not feeling excited

katmu

Mouseketeer
I kept thinking as our trip approached that I will feel more excited about it. Well I'm not 3 days out and I'm still a bit apprehensive. I received an email from Touring Plans this morning indicating a change (to a higher number) on the crowd levels for 4 of our 5 days so maybe that isn't helping. Plus with the FP+ changes, I felt that it was better for us to be at the parks for RD evem though on vacations (non-Disney) I usually want to sleep in a little.

I want to find a way to enjoy this trip and relax and not feel like I'm running myself ragged. The kids (21 and 22 so not little kids) and my mom have been no help in planning so I feel like it's all on me if they don't have a good time. Things at work have been crazy hectic so I'm trying to tell myself that might be a big part of it.

On the plus side, it will likely be about -20 when we fly out from Minneapolis so I'm happy to be getting out of this weather for a while.

Any tips would be appreciated. I need to get myself psyched up, and soon.

Don't worry, just relax and have a good time. If you have touring plans just use that during your trip to plan out your daily route as it will really help.

In the end Disney requires a lot of fake planning as likely it all changes once you get there. The only thing you need to worry about with Disney is just looking at touring plans and picking your parks based on when its rated one of the lower park.

Also if all else fails go to Epcot and get a couple drinks in the international area of the park.

We leave tonight and some of our days have changed dramatically (one up to a 9). But, I know it will be fun anyway, as long as we just stay chill about it all. :)

The best thing you can do is adjust your expectations. Hey, as you said, look forward to some milder weather if nothing else! You're not responsible for your adult children and mother having a good time...They will be fine. You've done your best to plan it and if they don't have a good time..well, they don't have to go again. You will have a great time, and even if the parks stink (which they won't), soak up that nice weather :)

The kids (21 and 22 so not little kids) and my mom have been no help in planning so I feel like it's all on me if they don't have a good time.

That definitely has a lot to do with it. I've always been the Disney planner in the family and they've told me before that they can tell we have a smoother trip because I research and plan well, so the pressure is on to somehow produce a good trip out of this testing mess Disney has going on. I felt it even in October when the change wasn't as bad yet.

Are you just looking at Touring Plans?

I've been checking WDWEasy and I'm not seeing any changes. We're there from the 5th to the 11th. I've heard that WDWEasy is more accurate than Touring Plans.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have both the weather and home and Orlando weather setup on the weather app on my phone so if nothing else that should be enough to cheer me up.

And I think I've done the best job I could do with the planning given all the changes.

And it's not like when the boys were little and I would have felt disappointed if they didn't get to go on Dumbo or something.

I'm the planner for my family of 8, as well. Everyone else is pretty much only in charge of packing their own clothes. :) So, I know what you mean. There have been times that I have gotten irritable in anticipation that others weren't going to be happy, which is not the most useful response (or "presponse"). If we can both just roll with the punches it will be ok.

I just returned from a trip Dec 14-21. My kids are now 14, 18, 20.
I did VERY LITTLE planning.
I planned where to go each day and bought tickets, but that was it!
We had no reservations, no FP+ (we were off property).
We had a great time.
At this age, the kids were much more flexible!
It was so freeing for me, when at Magic Kingdom, DD18 took the map and planned each next stop!

She really wanted to eat at Belle's new restaurant and got us in line early.
All in all it went well. At this age, they are much more chilled out about what they see and don't!

It was a relaxing trip and we loved it!!!

Enjoy!

I kept thinking as our trip approached that I will feel more excited about it. Well I'm not 3 days out and I'm still a bit apprehensive. I received an email from Touring Plans this morning indicating a change (to a higher number) on the crowd levels for 4 of our 5 days so maybe that isn't helping. Plus with the FP+ changes, I felt that it was better for us to be at the parks for RD evem though on vacations (non-Disney) I usually want to sleep in a little.

I want to find a way to enjoy this trip and relax and not feel like I'm running myself ragged. The kids (21 and 22 so not little kids) and my mom have been no help in planning so I feel like it's all on me if they don't have a good time. Things at work have been crazy hectic so I'm trying to tell myself that might be a big part of it.

On the plus side, it will likely be about -20 when we fly out from Minneapolis so I'm happy to be getting out of this weather for a while.

Oh you poor thing. Sounds like you're anticipating an absolutely horrible vacation. How about you come up here instead, and shovel my driveway every other day when the wind chill is -25. I'll be happy to go in your place and guide your mother and sons around the parks.

WDW (IMO) is NOT a place to sleep in and be lazy if you plan to see most of the attractions in the parks. If I want to sleep in, I go to a beach resort. And RD at the parks has always been recommended, loooonnnggg before FP+ came along. There's a good reason why that afternoon break at the resort has been so heartily recommended.

Try to adjust your expectations. NOBODY has a perfect vacation. Don't let the little things mess with your mind. And you might want to ditch Touring plans and take a look at easywdw.com and Josh's cheat sheets.

What days did you see a jump? I am looking at the other crowd calendars and I did not see a jump. We will be in wdw the same time as you.

We leave for our "surprise" trip ( not telling the girls until we get to the airport ) on Saturday. I am super excited and am comfortable that the crowd levels will be very manageable.

Planning for RD and hit the big ones then going with the flow after that.

We leave for our "surprise" trip ( not telling the girls until we get to the airport ) on Saturday. I am super excited and am comfortable that the crowd levels will be very manageable.

Planning for RD and hit the big ones then going with the flow after that.

same as us, "surprise" and all. I looked at touring plans and they seem to have a more dire outlook than the other calendars, giving the 5th and 6th a "7" for overall crowds and increasing a few other days to around 5 or 6. I am wondering what they found to warrant these changes and why have the other calendars not followed with updates.

What you are feeling is SO NORMAL! I wasn't looking forward to our trip AT ALL, but it turned out to be the absolute best WDW trip we have ever taken!

Just remember one thing: If at all possible, get to the parks when they open. With a predicted level 5 or even 6, the mornings will be awesome and you will find all the magic you can possible handle!! We were there from 12/16 to 12/23. The parks were predicted to be 7 to 9. On some days we didn't make it to the parks until 10:00am, but it still felt perfect!

You will have a wonderful time!! :hyper:

"I want to find a way to enjoy this trip and relax and not feel like I'm running myself ragged."

You can--they call it Hawaii.

However, since your trip is only days away, rent a car and go over to Daytona Beach for your vacation.

same as us, "surprise" and all. I looked at touring plans and they seem to have a more dire outlook than the other calendars, giving the 5th and 6th a "7" for overall crowds and increasing a few other days to around 5 or 6. I am wondering what they found to warrant these changes and why have the other calendars not followed with updates.

I've been watching WDW Easy and I'm not seeing a jump on there. Anybody know what's up?

You have adult children who want to vacation with you and enjoy your company

You have a relationship with your mom

You are going on vacation to a place where even the worst day will be magical and fun

You need to get your head out of planning mode and into vacation mode!
Choose JOY!!

I don't see it on the other calendars, but Touringplans did adjust theirs up quite a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter