Leaving car at WDW resort while cruising?

rustyanchor

Mouseketeer
I have heard that if you're staying at a WDW resort before and after your cruise, they will let you leave your car at the resort while you take Disney transportation to/from Port Canaveral... can anyone tell me if this is true? I'm having trouble finding much concrete info about this online. Just wondering if anyone has done it before or knows someone who has. We are driving 10+ hours to Orlando, so we'd definitely appreciate a decrease in driving time by just taking a shuttle to/from the port. If we can't leave our car then I'm thinking we might just drive to Port Canaveral initially, stay 1 night there before cruise day, then drive to WDW when we return from our cruise.

I have heard that if you're staying at a WDW resort before and after your cruise, they will let you leave your car at the resort while you take Disney transportation to/from Port Canaveral... can anyone tell me if this is true? I'm having trouble finding much concrete info about this online. Just wondering if anyone has done it before or knows someone who has. We are driving 10+ hours to Orlando, so we'd definitely appreciate a decrease in driving time by just taking a shuttle to/from the port. If we can't leave our car then I'm thinking we might just drive to Port Canaveral initially, stay 1 night there before cruise day, then drive to WDW when we return from our cruise.

I've read reports where people who are staying at a WDW resort both pre and post cruise have been able to leave their vehicles at the resort. You'll need to contact the specific resort and talk to them about it. You'll most likely have to move your vehicle to an outer parking area at the resort.

How many people are in your party? I will point out that transfers to the port are going to cost you $35.00 per person each way ($70.00 each for roundtrip WDW-port-WDW). You might want to check into how much parking would cost at the port, it might be cheaper.

EDIT: I found this on the DCL website:

Parking at Port Canaveral
An outdoor parking facility is operated by the Port Canaveral Port Authority. Cash, Visa® and Mastercard® are the only acceptable forms of payment. Personal checks are not accepted.
The daily parking rate is $15.00.
Parking for a 3-night cruise is $60.00.
Parking for a 4-night cruise is $75.00.
Parking for a 7-night cruise is $120.00.
Rates are subject to change. A valid disability parking permit is required for accessible parking.

There are 2 of us, so I guess the Disney transportation would be $140 total. Not exactly a bargain, huh? The price might be worth it just to have the convenience of taking a shuttle... but maybe not. I will have to see what my boyfriend thinks (I'm not going to lie, he ends up having to do most of the driving on our road trips :)). Thanks for the info about parking too. We are only doing a 3-night cruise, so it would be $60. Probably our best option. Looks like WDW might have to wait until after our cruise.

I have stayed at the values pre and post cruise and have left my rental car on property while a local friend drove to port. Just inform your check in cast member.

Well this is interesting information. 3 years ago we wanted to do this because we were staying at a resort pre and post cruise and when I asked if this could be done they firmly told me that my car could be towed if I did and that it was not allowed. I told them that if their was any way I could get permission and they said it was simply not allowed, but apparently others have done it. I guess sometimes it all depends who you speak to and what mood their in.

Well this is interesting information. 3 years ago we wanted to do this because we were staying at a resort pre and post cruise and when I asked if this could be done they firmly told me that my car could be towed if I did and that it was not allowed. I told them that if their was any way I could get permission and they said it was simply not allowed, but apparently others have done it. I guess sometimes it all depends who you speak to and what mood their in.

We could not do it last year for our August cruise either so we stayed in PC instead and parked car at Park n Cruise

We left our car at the GF during our October 2011 3-night cruise. We asked and were told it was no problem. In retrospect, we would have preferred to drive ourselves. The shuttle makes stops at multiple WDW resorts, and the trip ends up being much longer than simply driving your own car.

People have done it but I would be a nervous wreck that the car would get towed plus I don't personally feel comfortable using a space even an "out of the way" one. I hate staying someone and not being able to find a place to park!

shburks said:
We could not do it last year for our August cruise either so we stayed in PC instead and parked car at Park n Cruise

If you have your own vehicle, it is much much cheaper than paying $35 each way pp? We park at Radisson for $4-6 a day and have never had any problems or you can stay at park n cruise which is a secure lot. Just remember your quarters for the tolls!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter