Leave tomorrow... help- 2 year old on flight etc

KarenAylwood

<font color=red>It wouldn't be the holidays withou
We leave tomorrow morning for our first trip as a family- DS is 2 and will be 3 in June but he looks older - many people think he's already 3 or almost 4. I've got a few questions...

Should I bring his original birth certificate? I just copied it at work and it's showing VOID all over it (pretty cool). Is it really necessary to have the original? We bought him a seat so I doubt the airline will care, just want to make sure Disney doesn't think I'm trying to sneak past their paying for 3+ rule. He's 2 I promise :rotfl:

We flew with him as a lap baby at 14 months and I remember bringing food and stuff for him but he was obviously a baby- had just started walking. He comes unglued without milk so I was going to bring a sippy with milk and one with watered down juice and then a little extra cooler bag (the free formula one you get at the hospital if you know it) with a bottle of milk and an ice pack in it. TSA online shows "formula, breast milk and juice" - but I remember bringing regular milk when he was a year. I know this is usually at the discretion of the TSA agent we're dealing with but I wanted to know other's experiences. I was also going to bring an apple sauce pouch or Gerber pouch since he still likes those.

I'm a DIS veteran who's been like 30+ times... think magical thoughts for me. For some reason I'm really nervous about going with a kid in tow!!

Assuming you're flying domestically (not sure how things work internationally), there's no reason to even bring a birth certificate. The airlines def. won't ask for it, many times they don't ask for it even for the under 2 lap babies, but if you purchased a seat, they absolutely won't need it. You won't need it for TSA either. They don't ask for a birth certificate to allow liquids (milk etc.) - they'll just test it as usual and I'm sure no questions asked with a 2, 3 or even 4 year old (not sure if there's actually a specific age cut-off). You can also absolutely bring regular milk. I've flown many many times (as recently as yesterday) with a toddler with regular milk and again they don't even ask, just test it. Disney also will never ask you for a birth certificate. -They operate on the honor system and honestly I highly doubt any CM would notice/care, but they certainly won't ask you to "prove" he's 2 via a birth certificate.

We typically travel with our passports, but to Disney, we weren't asked for them for the kids.

We were definitely able to bring milk and snacks on board for our 15 month old. No issues there.

Have a great trip!

As long as it's a reasonable amount of milk (ie, not a half gallon or anything), I'm sure you'll be fine at security. Just make sure it's pulled out separately and that the child is there with the milk. Of course, it is at the TSA's discretion though, so just be prepared if you get the uber-grumpy one who doesn't let you through.
As for BC, you won't need it. If bringing the copy makes you feel better, go for it, but I certainly wouldn't bring the original.

I brought a copy of my 2 year old's birth certificate on his first ticketed flight just to be safe - I definitely didn't need it.

I also brought two sippy cups - once with just water and the other with watered down juice. Both were fine in security. I took them out and put them in a separate bin to make it easier on TSA. I was fully prepared to have to dump them, however, because I had friends who said they were not allowed sippy cups with liquid, just bottles. It might depend on the TSA agent at the time.

Bring more snacks than you think you need just in case you are delayed. I also called the airline to make sure our flight wasn't peanut free, since PB & J is our standard take along lunch. I also brought those puffs he used to eat as an infant bc those are great to chew on the plane during takeoff/landing.

Have fun!! I was so excited for my son to finally have his own seat when we first flew with him at 2...but of course he didn't want to sit in it at all - he ended up being a lap child for most of the flight anyway. Having the extra seat for the ipad, snacks, and toys was wonderful though.

it is up to the TSA agent you get if you can bring with you. have been when seen parents have to throw out milk and juice and other times where they were allowed thru. no way of knowing. I would bring with but prepared to throw out if have to and but after TSA check point. remember he will not be allowed to carry a cup through check point, cup and any lovies will have to go through scanner

I brought a copy of the birth certificate (when he was 2) and no one ever asked for it. When he was 5 I didn't bother bringing it. And no one asked again. As for the milk - I just brought an empty sippy cup and bought the milk at one of the little stores once we were past security.

I always travel with DD's passport and birth certificate plus a letter from DH letting me travel with her if he's not with us. I kept my maiden name so my name is different than DH & DD's. I'm from Canada and on the domestic portion of our flights we still needed her passport. All passengers regardless of age require ID to board any flight in Canada whether domestic or international. They do it to ensure the passenger manifest is correct.

We had a problem with the juice one time, it was actually at MCO. And we couldn't dump it because we put medicine I. It for my so and he had to finish it. So they just did a pat down to my husband and he carried it through the side detector. It wasn't a big problem but I won't do it again because MCO is a nightmare. Good luck and have fun!!

I didn't need any ID for my kids last year, and I brought them each a sippy with juice. I don't remember if they wanded them or put them through the scanner but they sent them through.

My guy had his car seat on the plane and sat happily in it. He's kind of a nutjob and having him strapped in was a load off my mind. I brought tons of stuff to do and eat.

OP is probably on their way already but -

1. I wouldn't count on getting through security with any kind of liquid. It's very YMMV. They TSA agent might miss it, but if they don't, they usually make you empty it out.
2. Re: birth certificate - you should be able to order copies from the state/county where your kids are born. We ordered multiple copies when our last few were born. That way, the original can stay in a safe deposit box and we can use the copies for school/travel/medical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter