Leave Friday, woke up sick :(

SassyCat

DIS Veteran
My hubby, mom, and six month old are supposed to be leaving for our trip on Friday. I woke up today with a very bad sore throat (definitely of the sick not allergy variety). I can't believe this - I haven't been sick in two years, and I hardly leave the house. :( we are flying, also. Of course I'm not going to be able to go right now. We bought trip insurance. Our ws tickets are the wanna get away ones. I'm just in a panic. May is basically the only time we can go this year. I'm worried if we try to move it till a couple of weeks from now there won't be any availability because of the present discount and Star Wars weekends. Ugh, we were going specifically now for my husband's bday and my first Mother's Day. And my dining reservations - I had CRT beast on Mother's Day and bog breakfast. I am about to start crying. I'm sorry for the dramatics but after all the planning, excitement, money, etc I just can't believe this. I don't know what we are going to do. Any advice of info about similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

Don't panic, go to the doctor. It could be as simple as strep throat. If so, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics and you'll be better in a day or two. Unfortunately, someone in my house gets strep a few times a year typically over a birthday or holiday. As much as I hate strep, I know within a couple of days everything is back to normal. If it's not strep, your doctor may still be able to alleviate some of your concerns or give you a better idea of whether you should reschedule.

It's only Monday. Sounds like you're going to get the usual progression of a cold. If that's the case, the throat should let up in a couple days...of course, you'll have to deal with the congestion that follows. Anyway, you'll probably be stuck with a cold, but that wouldn't stop me from a Disney trip. Go to the doc and see what he/she can do and start packing. Cook it out walking around Disney. (And travel insurance might not let you off for a cold)

Thanks for the post. I'm worried if it is a cold, about flying with congestion. If I am not in any shape to travel in a couple of days, would it be possible to move the trip a couple of weeks? Whenever I have been sick with colds, they tend to be long lasting and intense (this could be different but that is my prior lifelong experience lol).

I second the opinion of going to the doctor. If it's strep and you act now you can be on the mend by Friday. Most doctors can do a strep test in the office. Antibiotics then can be given if it comes back positive. I have no problem with antibiotics being used for illnesses they can actually treat. If its a cold, lots of rest and fluids in then next few days should help. A good decongestant for the plane.

Everybody's advice here is very sound. Start at the doctors to make sure if it can be treated with antibiotics then it will be treated as such. You definitely have time to nip this in the "bottom". Ricola drops and honey in your tea, humidifier, water water water. If the nose starts use Afrin to flush things out. I also find propping my pillow up can help reduce lengths of cold by having gravity help fluids moving downward instead of increasing congestion. I wouldn't jump the gun and cancel. Trudge through and make magic happen! Hope you push through and have a great trip.

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to do everything I can to keep it from getting worse. I am gargling with salt water, taking vitamin c, and doing the apple cider vinegar drink. If I do end up being congested, I'm not going to be able to take a decongestant be caused I'm breastfeeding (they will dry up your supply). I'm drinking tons of water and will try to get rest (hard with lo). I'm going to see how I'm doing tomorrow - if I still just have a sore throat I'll go to the dr. I hope lo won't get it! I'm crossing my fingers everything will work out

I swear by Zicam! If it's just a cold, and not strep, the worst of it should be done by Friday!

Don't wait until tomorrow. You are wasting precious time on antibiotics if you do need them. 24 extra hours on medication can make a huge difference. Not to mention that if it is more than a cold then the longer you wait to get medication the longer your child is exposed to your illness.

I don't have any way of getting to the dr today. :( I'm trying to do as much as I can to not expose lo - washing hands frequently, continuing to bf (passing on my antibodies), and trying to not get any of my fluids on him. If it is strep, I just read that babies don't catch it very easily - so that's something.

Don't wait until tomorrow. You are wasting precious time on antibiotics if you do need them. 24 extra hours on medication can make a huge difference. Not to mention that if it is more than a cold then the longer you wait to get medication the longer your child is exposed to your illness.

I agree! When we went to Disney in 2011 for our Christmas trip I knew my son was getting sick (tired, sore throat, headache, stuffed nose). I got him right in to see our doctor and explained that we were flying out in 5 days and that I really needed to get a "jump" on whatever was bothering him. They thought it was a sinus infection and gave us antibiotics and told us to give him Mucinex for a decongestant. We started them and got 5 days worth of meds in him and took the meds with us and continued them on vacation. So glad we went right in. Going in today rather than tomorrow is an extra day to get better if meds are needed.

Couldn't you just take a decongestant once to get you through the flight? Are you pumping? You could (I know, gasp, and sorry if TMI, pump and dump) just that once to survive the flight without feeling like your head will explode...just a thought. And otherwise...maybe there are some natural remedies or a neti pot or something that you unclog you enough to fly comfortably...?

Is it because you don't have transportation? Or are they closed? Why don't you call the doctor's office and see what they suggest? They may start you on a z-pack and have you come in to be tested when you can. Also take pro-biotics, especially if you're breastfeeding.

I definitely understand y'all's point about getting to the dr - but I just don't have it as a possibility at all today. I will look further into the decongestant - it would probably be okay to take one if I do end up being congested.

I don't have a regular doctor, transportation, or anyone to watch lo (I really don't want to further expose him to stuff at the dr office). I have been taking the health and wellness culturelle for a while

If the doctor's office or an after hours clinic is out try to see if you can get to a Walgreens or CVS. I'm pretty sure their pharmacy can preform a strep test, Walgreens have 'health clinics' I believe, and I think they charge $17 for the test. If you really can't get anywhere then see if you can get some Zinc, vitamin C is nice but not useful for a cold, Zinc has been clinically tested and shown to shorten a cold. That's the main ingredient in products such as Zicam and Cold Eeze.

edited to add: If you do try and take the drug store route, call first to make sure they do the test. Wouldn't want you making your way there only to find out that certain location doesn't do it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter