Leasing a car disadvantage

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
Full disclosure, I am not a fan of leasing.

Co-worker had her BMW broken into, passenger's side window broken.

She leases. Her car will be out of service for several days, if not longer because her lease requires she only use BMW glass to replace the window.

Her insurance only pays for factory parts if no aftermarket part is available. Aftermarket glass is available, and her car could have been fixed within hours. Factory glass costs three times what aftermarket glass costs. So she is out the extra cost out of pocket, and for a rental car, because her insurance won't cover a rental car if she elects to wait for the factory glass.

The kicker, parts guy at the BMW dealership says, as far as he knows, there is only one company that makes the glass, so the cheaper replacement glass comes from the same factory as the BMW glass, it just doesn't have the BMW logo on it.

She leases. Her car will be out of service for several days, if not longer because her lease requires she only use BMW glass to replace the window.

Her insurance only pays for factory parts if no aftermarket part is available. Aftermarket glass is available, and her car could have been fixed within hours. Factory glass costs three times what aftermarket glass costs. So she is out the extra cost out of pocket, and for a rental car, because her insurance won't cover a rental car if she elects to wait for the factory glass.

The kicker, parts guy at the BMW dealership says, as far as he knows, there is only one company that makes the glass, so the cheaper replacement glass comes from the same factory as the BMW glass, it just doesn't have the BMW logo on it.
I am not a big fan of leasing either, but I can't help but think that the issue here is that your coworker purchased the wrong car insurance. She should have paid more for insurance that covers factory parts since that's what her lease agreement required.

Due to too many miles a year commuting to work I have thus far never leased a car. But after reading the above, was wondering if there are separate or add-on insurance options for leasing situations?

Agreed, we lease from another European manufacturer and have had to have multiple windshields replaced. We do have to have special glass, but it's normally not an issue and the manufacturer requires we replace the entire windshield, not fill chips.

Point is, our insurance is no trouble, and has covered 3-4 windshields in just the past 3 years. The manufacturer has very specific insurance requirements for us to meet. It's not cheap, but we're covered for just about anything. Also, how is the dealer not providing a loaner car? Those are typically also not a problem to get from the luxury dealers

I own a BMW and I've gotten a loaner BMW every time my car has went in for service, never needed a rental car. In fact, my car is in today and I have a loaner car from them at no cost.

Sounds like an insurance issue and a BMW dealership issue, not a leasing issue. I lease and hit a deer last year. Our insurance insisted on factory parts, paid for everything besides my deductible, and also paid for a rental vehicle for the time my car was being fixed. They were wonderful and arranged everything for me. They contacted the bodyshop/mechanic. They arranged for the rental car company to pick me up at the body shop and drive me to the car rental place to get a rental. They made sure my car was fixed properly and in a timely manner (bumper, hood, front panel, radiator, and compressor all replaced and I had my car back 5 days after the accident). When my car was done, I drove the rental to the body shop, picked up my car, and the rental car company picked up the rental. I paid for my deductible, they paid the rest and made sure everything was done to my satisfaction and as quickly as possible.

Btw, my parents also hit a deer last year and were told by their insurance company that they must use factory parts also because the car was a fairly new car and they do NOT lease, they own their car. I forget if they were told under one or two years old they require factory parts. They have a different insurance company than I do, but were still required to use factory parts on theirs. This rule is made to protect the owner, not harm them.

her lease requires she only use BMW glass to replace the window.

She is 100% sure of this?

It is kind of weird to me that her dealership isn't giving her a rental car. My brother and his wife own a BMW and a Mercedes, and they say that part of the extra cost of owning those cars shows up when they take them in for service. Loaners instantly and at no cost, etc.

Sounds to me like an insurance issue and not the lease. She needs to find out why they're not getting the free loaner car. My Friend owns a BMW and gets loaner cars asap when something happens, same with my Mercedes.

I used to work for a car dealership with several lines, including BMW. BMW has an extensive loaner program. In fact, if all the loaners were out, they would get a car from National Rental which was next door.

Why is it taking several days to get the glass? Is it a parts delay or did it occur over the weekend?

I am on my 4th car lease in the last 13 yrs and never had that issue. I do know my insurance rate is calculated to cover a "leased" vehicle so as others mentioned it's probably an insurance issue (not a lease issue).

That's not a disadvantage to leasing a car. It's a reason not to buy car insurance that advertises during Maury.

Further, she's leasing a BMW, she doesn't need a rental car because BMW, like most luxury brands, provides free loaners.

That's not a disadvantage to leasing a car. It's a reason not to buy car insurance that advertises during Maury.

Further, she's leasing a BMW, she doesn't need a rental car because BMW, like most luxury brands, provides free loaners.

According to her, BMW does not do glass work. They are only ordering the factory glass. She says they only offer free loaner cars if they are doing the work. An independent glass company will install the BMW glass. Again, according to her, this is a BMW factory lease which includes the insurance.
Minor issue now, she crashed the rental BMW today. :eek:

According to her, BMW does not do glass work. They are only ordering the factory glass. She says they only offer free loaner cars if they are doing the work. An independent glass company will install the BMW glass. Again, according to her, this is a BMW factory lease which includes the insurance.
Minor issue now, she crashed the rental BMW today. :eek:

Sounds like she's a candidate for that other luxury brand---"Schwinn"

Now I'm interested in how the insurance comes into play for this latest incident:rolleyes1 She may want to chat with her local independent agent for additional insurance coverage 'cause what she has on the lease smells stinky!

People who drive expensive vehicles are assumed to have money and are viewed as "sue-able". At the very minimum she may want to consider an umbrella policy to protect herself and her assets.

I am not a fan of leasing either. I don't need to have a new car every couple of years and I hate the thought of paying for a car that at the end of the term I do not own.

IMO I might as well dig a whole in my backyard and throw the money in it for two years; at the end of the two years the results will be the same. I will be out the money and have nothing to show for it.

I am not a fan of leasing either. I don't need to have a new car every couple of years and I hate the thought of paying for a car that at the end of the term I do not own.

IMO I might as well dig a whole in my backyard and throw the money in it for two years; at the end of the two years the results will be the same. I will be out the money and have nothing to show for it.

Not a fan of leasing either, but you have 2 years of access to a car to show for your money. It's like renting a house. Sometimes it makes sense for some people but not necessarily for your situation.

Jill in CO

People who drive expensive vehicles are assumed to have money and are viewed as "sue-able".

One of the "perks" of leasing is that it allows you to drive a more expensive car than you can afford to buy.

DS's girlfriend is dealing with this. Her parents gave her a 1999 Lexus 6 years ago. Beautiful car, and well kept, but over 200k miles now, even a Lexus is prone to breakdown....alot. after that many miles...and then a minor fender bender, $800 damage, insurance has totaled it. That cars she wants new, she can only afford to lease. Or she can buy a good used car, which she is doing. If she leased, 3 years from now she would have to make another decision that would cost her money. With the used car, 3 years from now she will own the car free and clear, and it should have about 70,000 miles on it and have many years of life left with just a few repairs from time to time.

Wait just a second. Her insurance came with the lease and it doesn't fully cover the repairs required by the lease? The dealer sold her the lease and the insurance and now she is left to rent her own car and pay extra for the glass repair? I would be raising holy hell right about now and my hissy fit would be heard all the way to Munich.

I don't know if would raise a stink at the dealer... She signed the contract. Whether she read and understood it is another ball game.
It isn't the dealers fault. That's why you are supposed to read it before you sign it.

I would be upset too.

However, I think right now her mindset is, she doesn't care what it costs, she's telling her landlord HE's paying for it all. She lives in a "high" security apartment complex with a "secured" parking garage and 24 hour security on site.........but the car was broken into on a night the guard called in sick and the landlord elected not to call in a replacement. Doesn't hurt that her husband is a lawyer, and that the rest of the tenants are livid since they pay extra to live in a high security building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter