• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Learning a new musical instrument as an adult

MushyMushy

Marseeya Here!
Have any of you taken up a new instrument as an adult? I have the desire to learn something new, maybe guitar or mandolin. I'd like to at least be able to back up a singer (my hubby) and strum along to songs.

If you have, what instrument did you learn and how good have you gotten since you started?

Sort of--in college we had what was called J-Term. It was a 3 week "fun" course in January designed to expose you to different things or many of them were trips to various points around the world. One J-term I took a band class. I grew up playing the violin so I wanted to learn another instrument so I took this and learned to play the trumpet. In 3 weeks we could all play fairly proficiently-certainly not college level playing but most probably could have played in a high school band. You had to know how to read music to take this class though.

I was thinking the same thing - that I want to learn a instrument as an adult. What I'd love to learn is the bagpipes however I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it. I wonder if you can get some type of silencer for them???

Sort of--in college we had what was called J-Term. It was a 3 week "fun" course in January designed to expose you to different things or many of them were trips to various points around the world. One J-term I took a band class. I grew up playing the violin so I wanted to learn another instrument so I took this and learned to play the trumpet. In 3 weeks we could all play fairly proficiently-certainly not college level playing but most probably could have played in a high school band. You had to know how to read music to take this class though.

That sounds like fun! I'd actually majored in music when I first went to college, playing flute/piccolo. So I'm still fairly fluent in reading music, just not reading tablatures, and I'm pretty rusty with knowing chord structure. I can pick up my flute and mess with it -- I'm still okay, but definitely not where I was when I was majoring in it.

Do you still pick up the violin? I just want to learn something that I can take with me to parties and play along with my hubby. I feel so left out.

I noodle around with guitar. Wifey bought me an acoustic guitar in 2005, but I didn't do much with it. I wasn't interested in acoustic, I'm interested in electric.

So, Wifey bought me an electric for Christmas last year. I'm not really "learning" the guitar or music, but just noodle around learning how to play songs. I'm a huge David Gilmour fan and don't do a whole lot other than Pink Floyd songs. I have done quite a lot more with the electric in 10 months than I did in 5 years with the acoustic.

No, I'm not good. I can sit and learn a song over months and months time. I use various sites and many youtube videos to learn what I want to do. I don't take lessons. I'd like to, but there is both the money and the time issue, mostly the time since my wife works evenings and I have to be home for the kids.

Oh, I'm 38, so I started messing around with the acoustic when I was 33. I would love to learn how to play the guitar rather than just how to play song X on the guitar, but don't have the time for lessons as I've said. There are some good sites online though.

That sounds like fun! I'd actually majored in music when I first went to college, playing flute/piccolo. So I'm still fairly fluent in reading music, just not reading tablatures, and I'm pretty rusty with knowing chord structure. I can pick up my flute and mess with it -- I'm still okay, but definitely not where I was when I was majoring in it.

Do you still pick up the violin? I just want to learn something that I can take with me to parties and play along with my hubby. I feel so left out.

Every once in a while I play my violin when no one is home. I lost most of my hearing about 15 years ago so I don't have a clue if I sound good or not unfortunately. I played all through college and up until I lost my hearing though. I played in the pit orchestra for a lot of local musicals after college.

I learned to play the harp as an adult. I don't know if I'm that great at it anymore, but for a while I was fairly passable. I let it go for a few years when both children were baby babies - now that that they're slightly older babies (4 and 2) I'm slowly picking it back up.

I have taken piano lessons off and on all my life! I just got my piano tuned 2 weeks ago and now I'm thinking of starting again. The last time, my teacher moved out of the area and I never got another one.

I'm just trying to decide if I really want to commit to it at this time. Although I play for my own enjoyment I struggle with reading the notes now that I'm older and I have to have good light & my bifocals on! ;)

TC:cool1:

It's definitely easier if you had already learned another instrument. I played trumpet and guitar for years and when I was around 30 some friends needed a bass player for a new band. They pestered me until I went out and bought one and since then I've become more of a bass (guitar) player than the other instruments. I now play with 6-8 bands at any given time and get to play with some really fantastic musicians on a regular basis. I know a lot of people who got into playing late in life and they find a lot of enjoyment in it.

It's definitely easier if you had already learned another instrument. I played trumpet and guitar for years and when I was around 30 some friends needed a bass player for a new band. They pestered me until I went out and bought one and since then I've become more of a bass (guitar) player than the other instruments. I now play with 6-8 bands at any given time and get to play with some really fantastic musicians on a regular basis. I know a lot of people who got into playing late in life and they find a lot of enjoyment in it.

Let me ask you your advice then, since you've been playing for so long. I'm a little leery of trying guitar because I have super short, fat fingers. I can barely reach an octave on a standard size piano keyboards. Do you think guitar would be a decent fit for me, or should I look into mandolin? Is mandolin a decent instrument to back up a singer (classic/contemporary rock)?

We have two guitars and a dulcimer at home, so I would have the guitar already. We'd have to purchase a mandolin, but I'm sure I could just get it as an early Christmas present.

I am a music education major, and we have to learn how to play most of the instruments. I am currently taking Keyboarding I (even though I know how to play the piano, my skills just are not up to the proficiency test level) and Strings in Class I, where I am currently learning how to play the violin. In a few weeks I'll be playing the viola, and next semester will be the cello and bass.

I am finding learning how to play the violin easier than when I tried the first time at age 13 at a camp.

Let me ask you your advice then, since you've been playing for so long. I'm a little leery of trying guitar because I have super short, fat fingers. I can barely reach an octave on a standard size piano keyboards. Do you think guitar would be a decent fit for me, or should I look into mandolin? Is mandolin a decent instrument to back up a singer (classic/contemporary rock)?

We have two guitars and a dulcimer at home, so I would have the guitar already. We'd have to purchase a mandolin, but I'm sure I could just get it as an early Christmas present.

For a guy, I have small hands, plus arthritis. Guitar selection can be an important factor. I would look for a guitar with a slender neck, what I call for me as more "playable" with my aging hands and fingers. I do the same when looking for a new bass. They are not all created equal and there are a number of decent guitars out there that are very playable for people with hands like ours. The difference may not seem like a lot, but you'd be surprised how much a fraction of an inch can make. Action (the distance of the strings from the neck) is another factor. On just about any decent guitar the action can be adjusted. Two acoustic guitars with necks and actions suitable for smaller hands are the Taylor 110 and the Alvarez MD 90. I found the Alvarez to be slightly better of the two. Classical acoustic guitars all have wide necks so stick with the steel stringed acoustics. Electric guitars tend to have better necks and actions. In any case, go to a music store with a large inventory and try a bunch to see what feels the most comfortable for you, as well as what fits your budget. Note that guitars with the better necks and actions will not be the inexpensive starter models, but you can still get something decent for less than most of the more expensive models from the same company. Also, don't rule out a bass guitar. The 5-strings are popular these days, but I stick to the traditional 4-strings.

A mandolin really doesn't fit into any rock style of music.

For a guy, I have small hands, plus arthritis. Guitar selection can be an important factor. I would look for a guitar with a slender neck, what I call for me as more "playable" with my aging hands and fingers. I do the same when looking for a new bass. They are not all created equal and there are a number of decent guitars out there that are very playable for people with hands like ours. The difference may not seem like a lot, but you'd be surprised how much a fraction of an inch can make. Action (the distance of the strings from the neck) is another factor. On just about any decent guitar the action can be adjusted. Two acoustic guitars with necks and actions suitable for smaller hands are the Taylor 110 and the Alvarez MD 90. I found the Alvarez to be slightly better of the two. Classical acoustic guitars all have wide necks so stick with the steel stringed acoustics. Electric guitars tend to have better necks and actions. In any case, go to a music store with a large inventory and try a bunch to see what feels the most comfortable for you, as well as what fits your budget. Note that guitars with the better necks and actions will not be the inexpensive starter models, but you can still get something decent for less than most of the more expensive models from the same company. Also, don't rule out a bass guitar. The 5-strings are popular these days, but I stick to the traditional 4-strings.

A mandolin really doesn't fit into any rock style of music.

Led Zeppelin used it in a few of their songs, as did Rod Stewart and REM. I'm not sure who else, but I know I've heard it in a good many classic rock songs I listen to.

But I think it would still be entertaining to pull out at parties!

And thanks for the idea about the bass guitar. I know nothing about bass, but it's something to consider!

DH plays a guitar quite well and is trying to learn the mandolin and a bowed psaltry (sp). I can play the piano and am trying to learn the hammered dulcimer. We are 58 and 57 and like I said we are trying. :yay:

I learnt piano when I was younger and am quite proficient at reading music. I've kept tinkling on the piano off and on for the last 20 years.

I've recently gone back to picking up a new instrument. I've been learning classical guitar (suzuki method) for the last 10 months. It is easier being able to read music. If you're familiar with the suzuki methodology, I've almost finished Book 2 and my guitar technique is reasonable.
I don't strictly just play the suzuki pieces and have also been spending some time looking at guitar chords and messing about on it.

I learnt piano when I was younger and am quite proficient at reading music. I've kept tinkling on the piano off and on for the last 20 years.

I've recently gone back to picking up a new instrument. I've been learning classical guitar (suzuki method) for the last 10 months. It is easier being able to read music. If you're familiar with the suzuki methodology, I've almost finished Book 2 and my guitar technique is reasonable.
I don't strictly just play the suzuki pieces and have also been spending some time looking at guitar chords and messing about on it.

That shows how much I know about the Suzuki method! I thought it was just for kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter