Learn from each other's mistakes - Family Edition

GoldieLocks5

Mouseketeer
I have been reading through a couple "lets learn from each other's mistakes" threads on other boards... thought it would be nice to have one that is family specific.

Our biggest mistake i can think of - not having a rain poncho or rain cover for the stroller. We left it parked outside when we went in to see a show... came out and it was DRENCHED - dripping wet, as was anything on/in it. Next time we'll have a poncho or something to cover the stroller with :)

And a great tip I learned (thankfully didn't have to learn from our own mistake) was to take a photo of any photopass cards you get- RIGHT AWAY- in case you lose the card, at least you won't lose the photos. I also entered mine online every night back in the hotel- just to be sure :)

- Whenever you park the stroller, close the canopy.
1. If it rains, it's a little protection. 2. If it's super hot, it keeps the seat slightly cooler.

- Never underestimate the value of a drink of water. SO many potential meltdowns can be solved by keeping hydrated!! (Works on adults and kids).

Pack snacks. Not our mistake, but our previous trip we saw numerous preschoolers begging their parents for food. Parents had no food or drink and told kids to wait until lunch. A baggie of goldfish and a juice box would've made a huge difference in their park experience.

Pack snacks. Not our mistake, but our previous trip we saw numerous preschoolers begging their parents for food. Parents had no food or drink and told kids to wait until lunch. A baggie of goldfish and a juice box would've made a huge difference in their park experience.

I'll add to this pack snacks even if you plan to stop for some. And make sure you have enough. We had run out of snacks earlier in the day and I promised the kids a dole whip the last time we were at DL. They must have been having some operational problems, because we waited about 20 minutes with no one getting served. At the increased whining, we gave up on the Dole Whip and grabbed a popcorn at a nearby stand that was empty instead.

Which is my biggest rule, be willing to change up plans when necessary. Plans are awesome, but pay attention to when anyone in your party isn't having fun so that you can adjust, it's a lot more important to enjoy the trip than check off the whole list. We ended up with a popcorn at the hub instead of a dole whip, but sitting there munching with them is still one of my better memories :thumbsup2

- Whenever you park the stroller, close the canopy.
1. If it rains, it's a little protection. 2. If it's super hot, it keeps the seat slightly cooler.

yeah- we did that- but it poured so hard that the stroller was still dripping wet... even with towels covering it, etc :) The BJ City Mini canopies are not water proof! lol learned the hard way! We had to put dry towels on the seats the next day b/c it was still soaking wet in the morning :)

This is our 1st trip! I read to make sure to bring liquid soap for washing hands, since the bar soap is difficult to use at times with toddlers. Also, I read to bring a step stool so it is easier for smaller children to reach the sink. We are not doing this since we are flying.

This is our 1st trip! I read to make sure to bring liquid soap for washing hands, since the bar soap is difficult to use at times with toddlers. Also, I read to bring a step stool so it is easier for smaller children to reach the sink. We are not doing this since we are flying.

step stool would be great if driving. We piled the phone books up for the boys to stand on, lol.

step stool would be great if driving. We piled the phone books up for the boys to stand on, lol.

Exactly! They have those fold up ones but we don't have one and I am not going to buy one just for WDW (considering I am already buying so many extra things!). Plus, I do not want to pack it.

Phone books, good idea!

I bring a foldable portable potty seat for my toddler. That way I don't have to hold him on the potty and strain my back.

If it is hot and your kids want a Popsicle or ice cream, use a drink lid to put on the stick and then it will limit the mess!

I haven't been to the world yet, but the best advice I have read and think it bears being shared with others, is: Listen, listen, LISTEN to those who have been there recently, and have them tell you what works and what doesn't. Talk to as many people as you can, and take their tips seriously. A tip mentioned over and over again should raise a flag that says, "Hmmm, this could work for me!" Read trip reports and take note of the tips mentioned in them. Experience is the best teacher, and someone who has been there has learned and can be a wealth of information. Never shrug anything off.

Let's see....bring a raincover for the stroller and always put it in before you go into a show. Definitely bring snacks and a drink for your smaller kiddos. Don't push your children to keep going and going especially if they are tired. I have seen so many temper tantrums from children at the World that could have been avoided by taking the child back to the hotel to cool down and have some down time.

Know how to put the rain cover ON the stroller BEFORE it starts raining! Take it out and practice so you can do it without a problem!

- make it a point to take a midday break to go for a swim or a nap everyday
- bring rolls of quarters and pennies for the pressed penny machines, makes a cheap souvenir
- take a picture of your kid each morning in case they get seperated
-have cases of water delivered to your room, buy the single kool aid sticks to make up some quick juice for a quick snack
-keep bandaids on you at all times
-buy glow sticks from dollar store for at night. Bring extra to add some magic to another child.
-buy some closet orgaziner racks that hang up to from dollar store to help organize clothing each day.

We made this 'mistake' on our last trip...

We ate a counter-service lunch and were too full to eat the chocolate cake. We put the chocolate cake (in the little containers with the lid) in the kids backpacks and mine, to eat later. 2 hours later, in the line for IASW, we found that the frosting on the cake had melted and the leaked into one of my boys' backpacks... so we took out our cake and ate it while standing in line. One of kids got chocolate all over the front of his shirt... and I had an angry meltdown because he made a mess! Luckily, A close-by, sympathetic mother gave us a napkin and saved the day. After the ride, we had to go clean him up in a restroom.

Moral of the story: Don't save your dessert unless you have a stroller to store it in... and don't eat something messy while standing in line!

Great thread!

Pack the stuff you need for your kids in individual ziploc bags in your backpack. The security staff actually thanked me for doing so.
For example, I had diapers in one ziploc, and one with wipes, and then some first aid things in another one. That way, there weren't a lot of loose things rolling around in there.

The thing *I* learned the hard way, was to bring a change of undies and shorts for a kid that has been potty trained for quite a while, but might have an accident if the line to the bathroom is too long.
Also, if you drive, have a change of clothes for the littlest kids in an easy to reach place. (and ice cream pails with covers for the occasional bout of motion sickness.)

AND...use the bathroom BEFORE you eat at Liberty Tree Tavern, because their only bathrooms are all the way upstairs and tiny. See the tip above with the spare undies. :rolleyes2

I remembered to pack a change of clothes in a zip top bag when I brought my DGD. I did not remember to pack a pair of flippies or sneakers. I let her jump around in the dancing water in Epcot and her sneaks got soaked. She could not walk in them, there was not one shop that had anything for her feet. We carried her for what seemed forever. I carried an extra pair of flippies for her to wear in the water after that.

What we do right:

-Use your kids cues.

We don't take breaks by leaving the parks. It does not work for us. We're at rope drop every day and go, go, go, until someone acts like they need to leave. Hubby doesn't see the signs and I have to convince him that it's time. Always think ahead to the next day - do you really want your kids overtired the next day? (Unless you have the type who will sleep in the stroller or sleep in, mine won't).

What I learned:

-Bring post-it notes for the automatic toilets. I have one child scared of those and it slowed us down since I always had to go into the stall with her and put my hand over it. We'll take them the next trip so we can finish up in the bathroom faster with us each in our own stall and her not in tears thinking the toilet is going to flush on her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter