Leap Day updates

Thanks for sharing your pics!! I bet it is so much fun spending the whole day/night there!! Keep the updates coming!!

Thanks for the updates and pictures. Any pictures of "ImTooExcitedToSleep" aka "Tom" spinning round and round? :upsidedow:tink:

i want to be there so bad! Hopefully in four years my husband will not be overseas!
Or by then my kids will be almost-teenagers. Maybe i will drag them out!

i want to be there so bad! Hopefully in four years my husband will not be overseas!
Or by then my kids will be almost-teenagers. Maybe i will drag them out!

If it is any consilation (typo), you don't want to be there now! They just closed the park, it is at capacity. We went back around 10:30pm. The line for the security check point is almost at Harbour blvd. The lines to the gate reaches California adventure.

No one is being allowed in, unless it is for re-entry. The cars going up and down Harbour is bumper to bumper, and intersections are gridlocked.

We are back at the hotel. Crazy. Hopefully everyone will be beat and exhausted tomorrow and we'll have small lines tomorrow.

While there were reports of just moderate crowds during the day, it looks like things got much busier in the evening--probably many locals arriving after work or school.

I'm following several Disney-fan twitter accounts (MiceChat, Mouseplanet, DisneylandLive) and they are reporting conflicting accounts of closure levels. About 10:45pm, a couple of these sites tweeted that entry was closed to those arriving for the first time, but re-entries were allowed--i.e. if you had been in the park earlier and had gotten a handstamp, you could come back in. At around 11pm, two sites tweeted that stage 3 closure was in effect: no re-entry or entry at all. Even Disneyland's official Twitter account sent this at 10:58pm:
UPDATE: "One More Disney Day" @Disneyland continues to be very popular. Disneyland park is currently full. Updates to follow. #Disney24
Then around 11:25pm, a couple sites tweeted that they were seeing an occasional re-entry allowed. But everyone is in agreement that there are large crowds just waiting at the turnstiles, until the closure levels ease up. I think the situation is very fluid and the front gate managers are trying to adjust the closure level based on the amount of people leaving--especially after the 10pm parade finished. I think we'll see a mass of people leave after midnight, with another significant exit after the 1am Fantasmic!

Anyways, it sounds like it did get pretty crowded tonight. There will be plenty of stories and posts about how it went tomorrow or later this week, I'm sure. :goodvibes

(edited to add)
I just tried launching Mousewait on my phone to get wait times, but it won't open. From my computer, I get a "server too busy" message on their website, but they did just tweet that Space Mountain is at 120 min. and Big Thunder Mountain is at 80 min. I opened the Lines App by TouringPlans, but no one has entered any wait times since 9:37pm (Space at 90 min.). Yup, it sounds like it's crowded.

We headed toward Anaheim about 9:30pm. Freeway warning signs were flashing that there was a traffic jam at Harbor Blvd, and they weren't kidding. Traffic around the resort was insane!

It looked like they were still letting people park at both Mickey & Friends and the Toy Story lot, but cars were lined up for blocks in every direction trying to access M&F, and the sign at TS said Disneyland was closed.

I don't know if they were just trying to discourage some of the multitude of people trying to head to DL (it worked on us - we left and went with plan B instead) or if DL actually reached capacity. Either way, I have a feeling it got much more crowded late tonight.

I know I'll be watching for more reports from folks who were there.

I was on Katella heading west at about 10:30, and the traffic update sign just past Haster read "Disneyland full, some tickets available for California Adventure." I muttered a lot of words that can't be printed in this forum and turned the car around at the first opportunity. Kinda bummed because I had today off work and slept until 2 today in preparation of an all night Disney trip, then finished most of an energy drink before I saw the sign. I guess I'll look at what's on HBO tonight.:confused3

Oh look- Pulp Fiction is on! Looks like I'll be hearing a few of those words again!:rotfl2:

We left the park at about 9:15. It was controlled chaos. I've never been in the park when so many people with awful behaviors were there. We weren't interested in rides or anything, just wanted to people watch and get a bite to eat and look in the shops. After two hours of fighting crowds and seeing people treating each other like it was the longest Black Friday ever, we were done. My husband and I can handle a lot, but we felt completely unsafe with the amount of people let into the parks. When the guests are all adults/teens and the kids are gone, there's just a really weird vibe to the whole place. People were yelling/screaming at each other, the line cutting was crazy, one poor old woman in a wheelchair couldn't move because things were so thick and a man stuck behind her told her to "move it, or I'll flip your crippled ***."

This was the saddest Disney experience we've ever had and agreed that leap year once every four years is too much. I feel awful for people that took a special flight to attend. I hope others had a more positive experience and that we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.......all night.

The upside? Downtown Disney was pretty quiet and we were able to return to our hotel and relax with a drink next to the pool with heat lamps warming us up. That hour was worth the five hour drive alone ;)

For those of you still thinking of going, just turn around and go home. It's INSANE. As crowded as you will ever see Disneyland. My wife and I flew down from Seattle for one day and I really hope I don't regret it. We're just holding out until 2-3AM to see if it clears out and we're holed up here in Disneyland Hotel.

I wish we would have chosen Florida instead. Looking at the lines at Magic Kingdom there at 3AM it looks like things are so much smoother there.

Oh no!! What terrible reports!! This isn't the way it was supposed to be. Breaks my heart for all of you there that are having such bad experiences!! :(... This should be an unbelievable 24 hours of wonder, magic and excitement, not the other way around. I'm so sorry. Well it's what, about 12:30 now (it's 10:30 here) so I hope things are getting better. Everyone, don't give up! People are going to leave, they have to. Just rest now, get your energy and mojo back and be ready for fun in a couple of hours!! You are going to have a blast at some point, just hold out alittle longer. People are going to get tired and leave so just hang in there. Hugs oxoxox

When the guests are all adults/teens and the kids are gone, there's just a really weird vibe to the whole place.

I whole heartedly agree. While we couldn't make it into the park tonight, it didn't have a Disney feel at all tonight. While I was walking down Harbor Blvd, I lost track of how many times I could smell pot in the air, or alcohol.

Tonight Disney had more of a Six Flags feel to it, minus the presence of extra police and security. I am sort of glad I couldn't make it into the park with my family, because I am not entirely sure this would have been the place where I would want small kids for tonight.

Fortunately this isn't the usual Disney experience, and it will continue to be a magical place for my kids. But I think I'll be sure not to accidentally schedule our future trips near any 24 hour events.

YMMV, and I can't speak for how things were inside the park. But outside the park, it certainly had a different vibe.

Aw! Thanks, Kailuagirl :) We're definitely done for the night but we're holding out hope that things will go smoother tomorrow. We love Disneyland and I hate to give a negative report, but I want people to know what they're in for I guess. I have to wonder if Disney was simply unprepared for the overwhelming response this event received. I was so excited to be a part of it but we really felt unsafe with the insane crowds seemingly unchecked. Even the cast members were especially curt and grouchy this evening but honestly? I can't blame them.

Creampuff, I'm so glad you understand the "vibe" I'm talking about. I would hate to be perceived as a "negative nancy" when we have thoroughly enjoyed the parks during our previous visits. Disney will always be a magical place for our family, but an event like this will be something we never again attempt.

I will not necessarily agree that it was a funky vibe, I will agree it was different certainly. I was texting my buddies about how much success we were having early in the day; crowd seemed very manageable early. Went over to DCA until 130ish and it was certainly busier, but not awful. We hopped back to DCA for WOC, but after that DLR was awful. There was a point where we were stuck at the entry of Adventureland for almost 10 minutes because NOBODY could move. I've never seen anything like it here. Ever. We left at 1245 and took a couple vids of the mass of humanity in the esplanade and buying tickets. Harbor was a joke.

Much like the D23 Expo, I think Disney has big ideas, but underestimate the Mouseheads that come out of the woodwork for events like this and fail to plan accordingly. This was evidenced by filming a tv show on the day of a special event such as this, causing delays all over the park throughout the day. They sold out of merchandise by like 2-3 and had to have more made snf shipped. THERE WAS A LINE AT THE EMPORIUM OF AT LEAST 80-90 PEOPLE TO HAVE A CHANCE TO PURCHASE THESE INCOMING ITEMS. It was nearly impossible to move at all after 8. They easily could have sold this as a specially-ticketed event and sold out. I dunno. Glad I came, but a bit bittersweet quite frankly.

BC

It definitely reached capacity tonight...during and after the 10pm parade you couldn't move anywhere...i picked up my leap day items and left around midnight and they weren't letting anymore people in...took me 40 minutes to get out of the parking structure.....popcorn::

This is so interesting how quickly something can build.

Here's my crowd experience from 2/29/2012.

My plan: Arrive at 10am, stay until 3pm, leave to go to a physical therapy appt, return around 8pm, make sure to be in position to get in line for Disney Parks blog "Midnight Snack" (and Fantasmic!), DIS meet at 2am, take a photo by the clock on Main Street at 3am, drive home.

Impt note: I wasn't sure if I could attend at all given that I am recovering from a foot injury and recent tweaked my back. However, since my doc just told me, "Start to push yourself," what better chance than OMDD? :cheer2:

Given my current state of being, everything takes longer than planned. This was my first time going out by myself in three weeks. I arrived at the Park only a mere three hours behind schedule: 1pm. :upsidedow There was a brief (2-3 minute) wait to get through the checkpoint and about the same wait to get through the turnstiles. Upon entering, I was greeted by

photo-26.jpg

Let the fun begin! :cool1:

When I went under the railroad and into Town Square - L@@K! A giant line to get into "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" only means one thing: a VERY crowd park. Except I was completely wrong. It was a giant line IN FRONT of Great Moments... to see Goofy! And next to him was a not-so-often-seen Disney father

photo-27.jpg

It was moderately busy, but too bad. There were maybe 20-25 people waiting for Goofy, about 10 for Gheppeto. Then I spotted more characters: Mickey and Minnie were by the Showcase. It was a gorgeous, odd day. The clouds were making it chilly, but when they allowed the sun to peek through for a moment, it was really warm.

I went into the Emporium to buy some OMDD merchandise. They were out of hoodies, but expecting to get more in before 6am. They were making more watches "because more have sold than we made." Went to the Jewelry Store. It was very easy to move about, not claustrophobic at all. Back out to Main Street.

2:18pm

c8b4249e.jpg

It was very manageable. I worked my way up Main Street without any maneuverability issues, well, except for that recovering foot. :goodvibes There was plenty of open space. I took photos from right in the middle of Main Street without a care in the world. And - gasp - I did not get a single stroller or wheelchair on the heel! :cool1:

Talked to CM at Info Board about the Disney Parks Blog "Midnight Snack" to try to get more information. Lots to share on this, but trying to keep this to crowd observations, etc.... If anyone attended this, I would LOVE to hear how the lining up went and how the overall event was.

Pin trading, photos, take a break on a bench between Frontierland and NOS. Plenty of benches available. Lots of space to move about. 4:30-5:00pm-ish. Watched the Columbia go around a few times. Saw a couple get engaged in a creative way that was cheered by those around. Crowd level felt like a Saturday afternoon -- not even really summertime crowds. - insert quick potty break here - Lots of open stalls. No line. :woohoo: Saw all sorts of supplies roll by for "Modern Family" shoot, accompanied by lots of crew and "a plaid."

Head back out to main entrance. General busy, but nothing massive. Stop in Jewelry Shop. Less than five guests needing assistance. Off to Showcase. One lady in front of me (who took F O R E V E R, sorry, OT). Off to the exit I go. Time to zoom to appointment and get back to OMDD.

Ummm.... hmmm... interesting. Lines at ticket booths. All of them. Quick pic for DIS peeps. :hug:
8fbaeeb7.jpg

Go out beyond screening checkpoint. Hmm, that seems "holiday busy." Pic for DIS peeps.

5:16pm
026a0f5b.jpg

As I walk across Donald level at the M&F parking garage, I realize I am sore and might not be able to return. Maybe some rest will help. I really want to go to the Disney Parks blog "Midnight Treat." Decided it wasn't the best decision for my health. Bummer. I really really really want to go back.

Then again, maybe I just unknowingly swam to safety and avoided getting eaten by a shark!

- Dreams

Made it to Disneyland at about 7:45 pm. Just in time to see the rush of people from DCA flooding the gates to DL. The entire open area between the two park gates were completely full of people. I waited for about 30 minutes and got in the park around 8:15pm.

Was able to slowly make my way to Pirates. Only had to wait about 20 minutes. Pirates is definitely great value for quick line and long ride and the atmopshere was friendly and people were in good spirits. I then waited 35 minutes for the Haunted House and about 15 minutes for Splash Mountain (around 9:45pm so people were probably avoiding getting wet and cold). I was feeling pretty jovial then as it was crowded but I was still getting on rides and having fun with friendly people in line. Then I walked back towards Pirates and it was a madhouse. Couldnt even move. The whole area was basically one solid line. It took me about 30 minutes to walk from Splash Mountain (past Thunder Mountain -90 minute wait) towards fantasy land. I kept slowly making my way through the crowds (Peter Pan 50 minutes), and got in line for Small World. This line went fast (10 minutes) and I enjoyed a leisurely cruise around the world.

Then I decided to make my way out of the park around 10:30. HUGE MISTAKE. It was impossible. The parade finished and it was a solid wall of people from the Castle to the Main Street train station. I tried to cut through the shops but the wall of humanity was completely impassable. I could see people starting to panic and get restless so I turned around and found a small corner by the lockers and basically hid. Waited it out for 30 minutes and then Disney opened a back entrance that allowed people to funnel out of the park towards the exit gates. It was really insane. Then when I got to the gates I saw a thousands of people lined up to come inside??? When we were basically shoulder-shoulder inside of the park and couldnt even get out, thousands were waiting to come in??!! It was an unbelievable sight. Finally made it out the gates, every entrance gate was lined up with hundreds of people wrapped around passed the DCA gates. Hundreds more were lined up at the bag checking point before the entrance gates. Almost shoulder-shoulder all the way to Harbor street.

I really enjoyed the first few hours (8-10:30) but from there the crowd seemed to almost double and Disney just simply let way to many people inside. The entire park had become one solid line of people. The lines for rides extended into the lines of people just trying to walk and it became pretty hopeless. I didnt witness any fights or hostility but you could see that with the crowd size, it wouldnt take much for it to become completely unmanageable. It was scary not being able to leave the park via mainstreet and basically huddling in a corner near the lockers to avoid any potential stampedes.

Disney definitely far exceeded their own manageable capacity and with thousands upon thousands more waiting to enter it was only going to get worse. I finally made it out of the park around 11:30 (about 1 hr of trying to get out) and walked back to the hotel seeing the masses of people still walking and driving towards Disneyland. Insane amounts of people.

It did have a graduation night feel to it, and many in the crowds seemed to be college kids. I did the grad night when I was in highschool and it was great fun and it definitely reminded me of that except 3x the people. Hopefully tomorrow will be back to normal although I bet it will be busy. I am sure enough people will have come and stayed for 2 days. Even if 1/10th of the crowd comes back tomorrow, it will be packed.

Welcome to the DISBoards! Given that this is your first post, I am not sure if you have been reading here for a long time or just searched out DIS to share your experience tonight. Either way, welcome!

I just wanted to answer one concern you mentioned.

...Then when I got to the gates I saw a thousands of people lined up to come inside??? When we were basically shoulder-shoulder inside of the park and couldnt even get out, thousands were waiting to come in??!!

The crowds that you described are exactly why all those people you saw outside were outside the gates and not inside. Disney has a few levels of "capacity," with the last being that no one (new or returning, AP or ticket, staying on-site or not) is allowed in the Park until the Fire Marshall decides that they can come in. So, based on what you described, that's the stage of capacity it was at during the time you observed. I read on Twitter that people were being allowed to ENTER the Park once again about an hour ago. The fire marshall only allows that to happen once s/he determines the crowd level inside is manageable (well, below that actually).

- Dreams

I wanted to add my sour experience to the pile.

I flew down today from Seattle. My flight landed just after 10PM. I left the Annabella for DLR at 12AM. When I got to security, there was a mob of people there. There were no lines, just a sea of people. It wasn't moving. We just stood there for awhile. A CM was yelling something, but I couldn't hear him over the hoots and hollers of drunken college students. Yes, I could smell the alcohol and pot. After a few minutes of pushing and shoving, I got through to the esplanade. And there I waited in line for about 40 minutes. I feel like the lines took so long because large groups of kids would go meet there friends at the front of the line. It drove me crazy. It's a queue. You wait in it for your turn. Unless your 20 and just downed two energy drinks and won't stop swearing as loud as possible, you have to wait in line.

Ugh. Killed the magic. Can't wait until tomorrow. It will definitely be better than today.

Please excuse typos. I'm on my iPhone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter