LeafsFanNL "Will We get to Swim in Stormalong Bay" TR

LeafsFanNL

Mouseketeer
Introduction

This is a Trip report on a trip that my wife and I took from December 8th-12th from our home in Newfoundland to the Beach Club. I first went to Disney World as a grade seven student in 1979, when we stayed at Holiday Inn in the Downtown Disney area. DW had a similar trip when she was a little older around the same time. After we were married and had twin boys in 2001, we started thinking about returning. We have had four trips over the last four years, each trip a week at Easter. In 2007 we stayed at POFQ. In 2008 we stayed at the Vistana. In 2009 we stayed at POR, and this year we stayed as part of a larger group at WL. We have been tossing around the idea of a adult trip for a while, but I did not think it was forthcoming.

Briefly my wife surprised me with this trip in late September. The two of us headed down to stay for four nights between Dec 8th and 12th at the Beach Club. This trip we would not get the dining plan mainly so that we would not feel obligated to dine at certain times and certain frequencies to get our monies worth.

Our touring strategy was in the main to recognize that we could in no way do everything, but to try to hit our highlights while maintaining a relatively relaxed pace. We wished to spend time in all parks, but I in particular wanted a fair bit of time in World Showcase

One change that happened to our plans since DW returned from NYC in early November was that she indicated that she would like to take a few hours away from touring to do some outlet shopping. Considering that this whole trip was her surprise to me, letting her perform her own Florida economic stimulus plan seemed the least I could do.

On Sunday before the trip DW bought me a new IPhone. I had been going on and on about WDW Lines all fall, and I guess she knew it would be a good early Christmas Present. I was very much looking forward to using Lines a lot.

One factor that was giving us some concern was that I slipped on some ice recently and had a sore hip and tailbone. When I am on my feet for multiple hours, I get some moderate pain.

In writing this TR I looked at the photos I took. They just show I am a lousy photographer, and how grey the World was last week. I’ll post a few.

Day 1 Wednesday December 8th

Finally our big day was here!! We both worked a full day, although probably not productively, before we got home, grabbed our bags, briefed grandmother on what the kids had over the next four days, and headed out the door to drive the twenty minutes to the airport. This time of the year weather can be a big concern, but it was fine this evening. At 5:30 pm we were on the way!

Our flight to Toronto was a little shorter than usual due to the absence of the typical headwind. I’d guess we were a little less than three hours in the air. DW and I watched “The Expendables”, which was expendable, and started watching “The American,” which was interesting at the beginning but became rather slow paced.

The typical Toronto mad dash to retrieve baggage and pre-clear US customs was made much easier by our early arrival, and by how few people were at Pearson Airport. I don’t think I have ever seen lighter crowds, it was almost deserted. It was very eerie. Imagine an empty Toy Story at 2:00 pm and you’ll get the idea. We then boarded our flight to MCO. We finished the movie we started the flight before. The movie turned out to be rather boring, with not much of an ending, (you didn’t know you were getting Siskel and Ebert, did you?) We landed on time at about 11:45pm, but that was 1:15 for us and we were getting tired.

The baggage collection process was long, and we waited about 20 minutes for the DME bus to leave. This wait was not unusual I guess, but the process was slower than we had experienced in previous trips, and fatigue probably made us less tolerant than usual. After dropping off a ton of people and baggage at the Caribbean Beach, and one couple at Yacht Club, we showed up at Beach Club. We checked in and headed up to our room. I forget the number but it was overlooking the lobby directly above the entrance on the second floor. It was a room with a King bed. It had no balcony, and from what we could see no way to open any windows and air out the place. This was needed as something must have happened in the room and there was a powerful smell of cleaner, which my wife is sensitive to. She went downstairs and ten minutes later, she came back with keys to another room 3615, which had two queens and a mini balcony. It was a little musty, but we were able to live with it. We went to bed about 2:15 am or so.

Day 2 Thursday December 9th

We woke up at about 7 am, rather bleary eyed and after freshening up, we headed down to get our park hopper tickets, and start hopping. We made it to the concierge desk and found out that the computer system still had us in the old room, and another family was still booked to go into room 3615. A very determined cast member took the time to let some person on the other end of the line know what was what. This fine lady asked us to get some coffee in the Marketplace, and she would take care of the issue while we were in the Marketplace and refund the room the price of the coffee. One of the reasons I love the World is the people who take the time to fix these issues that might otherwise dampen the fun.

This took only 10 minutes or so to sort out, and we then went out to the bus stop to get the MK bus for early EMH. The weather was rather cool probably 5 or 6 degrees, but pants, a light golf jacket, and a ball cap was fine. A young fellow was there reporting when the busses came, he was dressed for New Years Eve in the Yukon. It was funny. Our plan for this day had been to do MK for a couple of hours, hitting attractions we liked. The crowd calendar had MK at a low number due to the fact the there was a party that evening, and many people stay away from the park on a day like that.

Anyway the bus came very quickly and we were on our way. We made it with about 10 minutes to spare before rope drop. The ceremony to open the park is very nice and I liked it as much as I had in 2009.

IMG_1183.jpg

Not many people at rope drop. They look pretty cold as well

IMG_1182.jpg

I love the opening of the MK

IMG_1195.jpg

Me in front of toy soldiers in Main Street

When we got in the park I made my mind up that I was going to do Space Mountain. I had hesitated after my experience on Expedition Everest last April. I had done Space Mountain, but it was in 1979!! So we headed over there and while DW waited for me I got in a very short line maybe two or three minutes most. I spent more time walking under the ride to get there. It wasn’t bad at all, probably on par with Big Thunder. I’ll ride it again when we come back with the kids. EE is still the only ride which is on my, “thanks, but no thanks list.”

We then went over to Fantasyland. All those walls really change the feel of the place. We decided to ride a couple of attractions, Pooh, and Snow White which was a first for us. Then while waiting for Adventureland to open we went back over to Tomorrowland and rode Buzz, and one of our favourites the Peoplemover.

IMG_1198.jpg

Fantasyland crowds about 8:45 am. Look at the wall

It was time for the other side of the park to open. We headed over there and rode the Jungle Cruise and Pirates. It was too cool for Splash, and BTMRR was the one ride we had done many, many times. We were getting really hungry. It was now getting close to 10 am, and we considered Pecos Bills or Casey’s but both were not going to open for some time.

By now even though we had only been in the MK for two hours, we had done a lot of what we wanted to do, and we were both ready to get the EPCOT portion of our trip going. We decided to head over to the Poly where we had an 11:15 am ADR at Kona, and see if we could get in early. We took the resort monorail, and were seated, probably about 10:30 am. We both had the Tonga Toast, and Kona Blend coffee and I can see what the buzz is about. After eating we grabbed the EPCOT Monorail getting there just after noon.

The crowds here were also much lighter than I have ever experienced, and way lighter than last Easter. I went over to Soarin’ immediately and got fastpasses for 3:40 pm. I showed up and hour earlier on Holy Thursday this year and all fastpasses for Soarin’ and Test Track were gone. After getting the fastpasses it was off to World Showcase for the Tour I had so looked forward to. However fatigue was beginning to set in. I was so tired, I was almost sick. So after doing a very brief tour of Canada, which is one pavilion I have done well, and a very thorough tour of the UK, which I have always rushed through, we both decided we desperately needed a break. We walked out the international gateway, and up to the room about 1:15 pm. I set the alarm for 3:00 pm, and we had a good nap.

IMG_1208.jpg

Canada crowd at about 12:30 pm

IMG_1215.jpg

The Boardwalk Bridge from the International Gateway

After awakening to the “alarm” ringtone on my IPhone, we got up feeling a little better. I checked the outside temperature and swimming was not in the cards. We freshened up changing into shorts and t-shirts before heading back to EPCOT. We had a little time before our fastpasses for Soarin’ were useable, so we decided to get fastpasses for Test Track, and see the Jammitors. They were great as usual. Soarin’ has always been a favourite, and was fun. There were a few somewhat rowdy teens with Pop Warner attire on. They weren’t too bad, and were about the only indication we had that the event was occurring.

When we left Soarin’ we had some time before Test Track so we headed over to the Imagination Pavillion, and rode my guilty pleasure, Journey into Imagination. We then decided to see Captain Eo, which was interesting. I am still not sure what I think of it. We then headed over to Test Track, which my wife liked a lot.

After bypassing the GM commercial at the end of the ride we went outside and it was getting dark and cool. Shorts and tees were not such a good idea after all. We decided to exit and see about dinner.

We had a 7:45 pm ADR at Cape May, but the idea of a buffet didn’t really thrill either of us at that moment. We arranged a 7 pm at Captains Grille.

While we were waiting, we decided to get a beverage at Martha’s Vineyard. This is a very nice lounge, as nice as any I have seen on property, but it was always empty. Its location hurts it popularity I think. It’s closer to the Yacht Club which already has two bars of its own.

IMG_1220.jpg

A Gingerbread Carousel in the Beach Club Lobby

At Dinner we had clam chowder followed by strip steaks which were quite nice, after hearing about this flight or that flight over the past few years, I decided to try the Sam Adams flight and it was good. We were too full for dessert.

After dinner we dressed for the cool weather and headed over just in time for Holiday Illuminations. We managed to find a spot in France between the crepe stand and the wine stand which worked out well. The show was wonderful as usual, with the holiday tag something very special indeed. We the left the park, were back in our room at 10pm and asleep not long after that.

Considering how tired we were at the start of this day, I think we did fine. We did many of our favourites in two parks, did a little of the World Showcase, and had a couple of nice meals. We never made the pool, but it was too cold for that. DW didn’t get her turkey leg, or the funnel cake, or a Dole Whip, but we had two more days.

What a great getaway surprise! Kudos to your wife!

You really had an impressive first day, especially considering how tiring your travel day was. You managed to make it from open to close at the parks with a couple of awesome meals in between.

On our July trip, we had a late breakfast at Kona too! It is our favorite breakfast. Also a good call to skip the Cape May for Captains Grille when you did. Both restaurant are great but... In 2009, we went to the Cape May on our arrival night, and we were too tired to deal with the buffet, which were your thoughts exactly. This year we went to Captains Grille for our arrival dinner, and found the restaurant nice and quiet and it was great being served by the waiter. We did enjoy Cape May later in the week, though.

Isn't the location of the Beach Club fantastic? Sounds like you walked to and from EPCOT a couple of times. It doesn't get much better than that!

And thanks for the photos of some of the holiday decorations. Must be absolutely amazing to see in person!

Looking forward to hear more about your "highlights" trip.

There is a story behind how the trip came about.

Last summer 4 of the ladies on our street were planning a shopping trip to NYC for 4 nights over your Veterans day.

Right at the same time 11 of the 12 golfing gentlemen on the street planned a golf trip to Myrtle Beach. Only one person couldn't go and guess who it was. DW wanted to make it up to me I guess. It was a great surprise when she sprung this on me in September right before the boys went to Myrtle Beach.

Haha - it's so funny seeing people walk around WDW with coats and scarves!

We've stayed at the Beach Club before and really enjoyed it! Can't wait to hear more!

Day 3 Friday December 10th

So we were up at 7 am, this time feeling fine after a good night sleep. This would be our outlet shopping morning. We had some time to kill, so I decided to snap some photos from our mini balcony, not long after dawn. It also looked like this would be a slightly warmer day, with temps starting off about 10 degrees which would be nice for shopping, touring, but maybe not swimming.

IMG_1222.jpg

BWI at dawn from 3615

IMG_1224.jpg

BC rooms showing balconies and mini balconies

IMG_1226.jpg

BC beach volleyball pit

IMG_1221.jpg

BC grounds

When it came close to time to go, we grabbed some juice out of the fridge, and grabbed a taxi to the Orlando Premium Outlets. It was about an eighteen dollar ride, not bad I thought. The only comment I’ll make is that we kept our perfect two for two record for being at our destination for Rope Drop at 9 am!! Intense shopping ensued!! The next three hours were a blur. We must have hit a dozen stores.

After shopping, we returned to the hotel, and we entered the International Gateway at 1 pm. We were planning to have a counter service lunch, probably at the Fish and Chips stand. There was about a 20 person line for the fish and chips, which seemed a little long. I was beginning to think of alternatives when DW noted a table or two was available in the Pub. We went in and a nice feed of fee and chee as we say here on the rock. After finishing the lunch we finally went around the WS, mainly spending time in countries we have given short shrift in the past. So basically we skipped Canada and Mexico. We looked around Norway, and picked up Fastpasses at Maelstrom for around three hours in the future. We hadn’t been in Future World on this day, and we started to notice that was a busier day than Thursday had been as there were many more people in WS than the day before.

We concentrated on Germany through to Japan, which we had pretty much blown through in the past. It was a lot of fun. DW loved the Karamel Kuche, and picked up some goodies. We noted that at three pm people were already lining up for the candlelight processional. It should be noted that by now the crowd in the WS was getting very heavy, as many people as I have seen at Easter. By the time we bailed about 3:30 they were as big as I have seen at the WS. I think it was because of the evening EMH at the park.

As I mentioned above we bailed at 3:30 in an attempt to maybe hit the pool. Friday was warmer than Thursday, and it was worth the shot. By the time I was ready, it had cooled, and after dipping my toe in the quiet pool, a swim was out. However DW and I got in the hot tub which was nice.

After our tub, we went upstairs, dried off, and changed in time to head to the boat dock to go to the studios to see the Osborne lights. It seemed like it would be warmer, so Thursday night’s touque was put away and the ball cap came out. We did not make it on to the first boat as it was full but made the second, and we got to the park about 6 pm or so. We made it to the Streets of America and got to see the lights for the first time. I must say it was very impressive. We never stuck around very long, and within 45 minutes of entering, we were leaving to head back to the resort.

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

We arrived back at the YC about 8:20 and headed over to the Yachtsman for my B’day dinner. We were seated very quickly. We had a scallop appetizer, followed by the strip for DW and the Filet for myself, we had fancy Mac and Cheese as a side. Again no dessert was had.

After dinner we had planned to head back to EPCOT to do FW at the EMH, but we had so thoroughly done it on the day before, we didn’t feel the need. My hip had been acting up since we had headed back to DHS for the Osborne Lights, and it needed to be rested. We were also too full to eat or drink at BWI, so we decided to turn in for an early night and save our energy for our last full day.

I was very happy with this day. I had the sense that I had finally toured WS completely, even though the total time we had spent there over the past couple of days was at most 4 hours. The pool hadn’t happened, and it didn’t look like it would. DW hadn’t had her snacks, but we still had tomorrow. I had also had a great morning shopping, and I had enjoyed it more than I had expected. DW did some Christmas shopping for me and the deals were great. I especially liked the Sketchers Shoes she bought, and they were very well priced, $45 for what I would expect to pay at least $75 up here. Her shoes were half price because they were the second pairs purchased. Looking back we wished we got two pairs each. There is always internet shopping!

Day 4 Saturday December 11th

Once again we were up at about 6:30 am. This morning we were looking to have a nice breakfast before beginning what would be a busy day. To my surprise both Cape May and the Captains Grille did not begin serving until 7:30 am. We were definitely planning to go to DHS for rope drop at 8 am so we had to skip breakfast. It seems short sighted for Disney to open its breakfast places so late.

DW told me to plan this last day as I had wished as I had been such a good pack mule the day before at the Outlets. So the basic plan was this

1. EMH at DHS
2. Hop to AK about 11 am for one or two of the shows. We also have never walked the Asia Jungle Trail to see the tigers.
3a. If the weather was good swim at BC
3b if not, go back into EPCOT for a few more attractions, Ellen, SE, maybe Soarin’ again
4. MK for Parade and Wishes and maybe a few rides.

Hopefully DW could get a few of her desired snacks in there, and I would have done at least three parks in a day, and probably four. One thing that should be noted here was that I had looked at WDW Lines and this day which had been forecast as a six was now a nine!! I immediately checked the per park levels and the other parks were fine but MK was a 9.something. This was ok for us as we really only planned to view the parade and Wishes. I suspect that the reason for the upgrade in Crowd Calendar level was that there had been a MVMCP the last two nights. Anyone who wanted to see fireworks without paying for the party was stuck going on Saturday. Disney needs to reflect on this. We hadn’t purchased the MVMCP tickets mainly because we were trying to stay flexible for such a short trip, and we had never seen regular Wishes from inside the park, had only seen about half of SpectroMagic and had never seen the Electric Parade. We figured that we should see a regular evening before buying the $50 cookie.

So to start the day we took the boat over to DHS, were lead in to where Hollywood and Vine meets Sunshine Boulevard for rope drop. We were happy since we were three for three getting there at rope drop. This trip was progressing like our ’07 at POFQ and ’09 at POR trips, and thankfully not like ’10 at WL with the in-laws, where our travelling partners never figured out the value of early arrival on Easter week.

IMG_1237.jpg

The bulls are about to run. I don’t know if you notice the mist or not.

So when the rope drop happened, I joined in. I now no longer desire to travel to Pamplona because I have run with the bulls. We got to the standby line which read 40 minutes, but we were on the ride in about 10 with the walk and the short wait. I had lots of fun scoring about 150,000, not bad. When we came out we got two FP for about 1:15 pm. We had yet to eat, but I had made my mind up that I would ride ToT. We made our way down an empty Sunset Boulevard towards ToT which had a posted 5 minutes standby line. DW waited for me in the gift shop. The theming of the queue is Disney at its best. The ride was just on the edge of being too much for me, but I’ll do it with the kids next time. So EE is still the only member of the, “thanks, but no thanks list”. I briefly considered R&RRC, but decided not to push my luck.

The line at Starring Rolls was too much, as the park was just opening to the day guests. There was a sweet shop to the right of Starring rolls and we bought Danish and coffee there, and had our snack outside.

The weather wasn’t great it was misty all morning although it was warmer than previous days.

After our little snack we headed over to the Star Tour Shop. We needed to bring back something to the kids, and they are on a Lego and Star Wars kick. So we picked so Star Wars Lego items. After that we went looking for Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose’s. In our travels we had never noticed them before.

A quick trip to the Backlot Tour was followed by one of my favourites the Great Movie Ride. We all have our favourite parts, mine is the Alien scene. Every time I go through, I can’t help yell Riiiiiiiiipleeeeeeey!!!!!!, wrong movie I know. My wife cringes when I do this.

After we left the GMR we exited the park going very much against the way most people were moving. Now it was about 11 am, and the crowds weren’t too bad at all. FP’s for TSMM were all gone however.

IMG_1239.jpg

I was hoping to do this in all four parks Saturday

We left the park and saw an AK bus waiting, and we jumped on just before it left. One forgets that it is a bit of a run to AK. At any rate we arrived at AK at 11:20 am. We had time before the 12 noon FotLK show, so we walked the Asia wildlife trail. It was now starting to get sunny and warming up, so maybe Stormalong Bay would take the place of EPCOT this afternoon, but only if the sun stayed out. It was a win win either way. The crowds weren’t too bad, although we never did any rides so I don’t remember what the wait times were like.

IMG_1244.jpg

Hello AK

IMG_1249.jpg

I wasn’t bored like this fellow

IMG_1252.jpg

On my way to meet up with Ed Viesturs

We saw FotLK for the first time since our first family trip in 2007 and DW suggested that she preferred this version to the Broadway version she saw in November.

After the show we were hungry again, so we went over to the turkey leg stand in Dinoland. We split one, and ate it to the bone. The taste reminded me more of ham than turkey. It tasted ok, but to be honest, we wouldn’t try it again. To be honest, The pile o meat sort of sat there all afternoon, which mildly unsettled my stomach.

After eating we decided to skip Nemo which we have seen three times, and skip EPCOT and head back for a swim. After a short wait, the bus brought us back and we went to the room to change. The dreaded DME envelope was on the door. Anyway we changed and we were at the pool for around 2 pm. We spent about two hours here. We sat facing the sun and it was plenty warm. I really enjoyed the pool, DW was less impressed, not really seeing much difference between the pool at BC and the ones at WL and POR. In talking to other guests we heard that MK was absolutely blocked with people that day. One positive of the pool area is that there is wait service which can be nice if you desire a beverage while sun bathing.

We returned to the room, and sadly began started sorting out our stuff and packing for our departure the following morning. Before we left I snapped a couple of pictures at dusk.

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

We decided to stick to what had been planned all along for our last evening and we caught a MK bus at 6:10 pm for a 7 pm ADR at GFC. The bus came quickly as all the busses did all trip, and the ride was uneventful until our arrival at MK. We got off the bus and headed over to the resort monorail. The crowds were huge. Multitudes were heading onto and off of the express monorails. Many were leaving, and more were entering MK. It gave us pause about our plans for the evening. We just missed the resort launch, so took the monorail. They waiting area was packed and we were only able to catch the second one that came along. It was a very crowded trip to the Grand Floridian.

We arrived at the GF at 7:10, and proceeded to check in at the GFC desk. We waited about tem minutes in the most crowded GF lobby I have ever seen. I hadn’t seen such crowds on any of our three previous visits.

I had the onion soup followed by, gasp, a strip steak. DW had a strawberry spinach salad, and a shrimp pasta meal. Everything was very good. We finished, and headed to MK about 8:30.

I noticed as we entered the park that I did not have my camera, so sorry, no more pictures. Upon entry, we noticed Main Street was maggoty with people waiting for the early parade, so we grabbed the Train to Toontown. I entered a bunch of wait times on our way to Liberty Square. We had decided to catch the early parade and try to ride some things after Wishes.

We ended up under the portico of Hall of Presidents watching the Electric Parade. I only have limited experience with Spectromagic which it makes it harder for me to compare the two. I enjoyed the visuals of the parade, but after a while the music started to get to me. It’s like the kind of mind control stuff that you’d expect in A Clockwork Orange. Just writing about it has the tune back in my head. Arrgh. I think I’d prefer the Spectromagic parade if I had to choose between the two. We managed to get over by Sleepy Hollow before Wishes began. It was a spectacular show, although the spot is not good, the angle to the castle is wrong, and there is a tree or two. We enjoyed ourselves in spite of our location. As soon as it was over we went to the Haunted Mansion and rode with minimal wait. When we came out the line was back to the Steamboat! It was getting close to 11 pm and we were tiring. It was getting cool, but over to Aloha Isle we went. After we got our Dole Whips we decided to call it a night. We headed out of the park and we were on a bus by 11:20 pm. When we got back to the room it was off to bed.

This was a very long but in my mind a very good day. Looking back on it we never rode anything in AK and only one thing in MK, but this was not our goal. We set out what we wanted to do and we did it. DW got her turkey leg and Dole Whip, and we got our swim in December. Imagine if we had gone to BC and not swam?

Great job fellow Canuck!

We are headed to WDW in 4 days and your pics of the people are making me rethink some packing...few long sleeve shirts I think.

Thanks for sharing:thumbsup2

Its kind of crazy, the temp got up to 16-19 every afternoon, but it was 2-6 at night. You need to pack a fleece, and as much as I was gung ho about wearing shorts they are only practical from say 10 am to dusk.

Great pic of the tiger!!! Everytime we walk through the jungle treks, we have very specific goals for each trail......1. - hope to see the Tigers awake! (And get a good pic) and ...2. - hope to see the gorillas doing something cool. (And get a good pic.) We love both of the jungle treks!

If you read any of my TR from July, you know how I feel about the Electrical Light Parade! :love: But my love for it comes from a very nostalgic place - when I hear that music, I'm immediately 8 years old again (and it's Disney in the 1980's, haha!) - such a wonderful feeling. :goodvibes

Glad you guys had a chance to make it to SAB!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter