Leading up to the trip....

4disney

Earning My Ears
We are planning our next trip to WDW in July. My family of 4, my parents and my brother, his wife and their two children. My brother went 2 years ago and had the worst time of their lives on a family vacation. Being a disney nut I was crushed to hear this. I actually cried. I didn't want this to be the memories my niece and nephew would have about the most magical place on earth. I have (along with my parents) convienced them to go again. I want to make this the best vacation ever. My niece is 5 and my nephew is 7. I am trying to think of ways to get them excited about the upcoming trip. I recently spoke with both of them and asked who was their favorite character. My nephew said Donald Duck and my niece said Minnie. I told them that I was very close friends with both of them and then sent them coloring pages in the mail, stickers and a short letter from Donald and Minnie. They were so excited. Any other suggestions? We are staying at the Swan and Dolphin and I plan on arriving before them and putting a stuffed Donald and Minnie on their bed. Any other ideas I welcome.

Thanks in advance! Hoping to make better memories for them.

Somewhere on these boards is a thread of people who are going ahead of you. They're willing to send a "can't wait till you can join us" postcard to kids from a particular character. Then, when you get there, you choose someone else from the thread and return the favor.

Let me see if I can find it.... here it is: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=842646

Well, to be honest I think my brother and his wife were overwhelmed. It was the kids first time on a plane so that was a little stressful, my sister in law didn't want any advise prior to leaving from me on how to approach the parks (she already knew what she needed to know as my brother told me), they went during spring break and they made no dinner or lunch reservations so therefor there were limited places to get a sit down meal. My niece and nephew are very reserved kids. They live in a rural area. It is pretty much just the 4 of them all the time. The don't get together with other children their age other than school. I love them all but they went about that trip all wrong. Even my mother and father, who have been to Disney with me 4 times, told them you need to listen to your sister. She knows how to get around at Disney. But they learned the hard way I guess. I just want this to be a special trip for them. I am the Aunt that will skip and sing with them in a parking lot and don't care who is watching and what they think. I was this way with my boys when they were young and they are happy kids. You just got to act silly sometimes!! My brother and sister in law are just too serious. They need to let loose!!! We are actually having the kids spend the night this weekend and calling it a Princess and Cowboy Party (Instead of Pirate Party, my nephew likes Woody also) to prepare for the trip in July. They are very excited to do this.

I think you are on the perect track.. It sounds like they didn't want to listen last time and that is the main reason that their trip wasn't want they expected. I would also go to a scrapbook store and make little scrap books so that they can have something to put their fav photos in when they come back. Also I would go ahead and make dinning reservations for atleast one family meal a day and then also have the kids help with the daliy planning with you before they go. That way they can just give it to mom and dad so it doesn't make them feel like you are telling them what they should do the little ones are. Also maybe a nice family thing for them to do is make a "disney dinner" the night before they leave with fun dishes like Mickey's mac and cheese and such. That would be a great time to give mom and dad their itins. I know that AAA also has books each year that have maps and such just for children that are really need. You might want to stop by your local office or I am sure that they might also have the guides at most book stores to give the children to get them more prepared this time too..

I am the Aunt that will skip and sing with them in a parking lot and don't care who is watching and what they think.

I have a 2 year old nephew that I am taking in 2009. I am that kind of Aunt too.. My nick name is pooh so all I hear as soon as he hits the door is this lound "POOH" .It sounds like you are exactly who your niece and nephew needs to round out their life.. My brother and sil are serious too so J loves to sing and jump and be silly with me.. But at the end of the day loves to go home and spend time with mom and dad too..

I just ordered shirts off disney shopping.com website where you can pick the character to put on the shirt as well as get their names on them. That might be nice. Little pricey though.

How about visiting our DISign board and seeing about making up some matching t-shirts for the trip? Even if you brother and sil won't wear them, th kids would enjoy them and the cost is very reasonable when you do them yourself. I have done them for all our trips.

Creative DISigns: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Here are some things we did before our first trip:

• countdown calender

• watch EVERY Disney movie possible

• Easter Bunny brought Disney trading pins

• watch Disney planning DVD religiously

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. We talked about it constantly, over dinner, in the car, anywhere possible.. rides they were looking forward to, meals they were excited about, ect... we built up the excitement.

Well everyone has taken my ideas, so I have very little to add.:goodvibes
I just returned from a trip with my great nieces (4 yr old twins and 9 year old). My niece did a great job of planning, we had 3 sit down character meals. Having been to Disney many times before I was surprised as to how different it was this trip seeing it through the eyes of 4 year olds. Something my niece did (that my sister didn't think was a good idea, but I thought was brilliant) was rent a stroller. it helped keeped the wandering to a minimum and gave them a place to chill when they were tired. I think one of their best times was running through the fountains at Ariel's Grotto. They had the best time doing that. My niece is kind of laid back so she let the kids get soaked and they loved it. I would set something up for the little ones so the older one can ride the rides they are tall enough for without upsetting the little ones. One of my nieces is a smidge taller than the other so she couldn't get on some of the rides and that caused a mini-meltdown until we found an alternate ride for her.
Have fun:banana: :hippie:

I think that you are an awesome aunt! One thing I would definitely take into consideration since it sounds like your brother and sister-in-law are going on sufferage, take breaks in the heat of July or you will never hear the end of it, no matter how wonderful the rest of it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter