• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Le Cellier, ou Non?

mzadell

Mouseketeer
So my roomie and I are planning a trip to WDW for next May and are starting to form a game plan for the use of our table-service credits. The way our nights/days in parks work out, we have an extra credit so decided to choose one Signature Dining experience. I'm a huge steak fan and have always wanted to try Le Cellier but the price has kept me away (this is my first trip with the dining plan.) However, I've started to hear some not-so-great things about Le Cellier since they've changed the menu.

Anyone who has made a trip there in the last few months - is it still worth it if it's to be our only Signature Dining experience? The other that I've been interested in is the Hollywood Brown Derby at DHS, and I'm curious if a majority of you out there would recommend HBD over Le Cellier.

Thanks a bunch!

1) Why not try Artist Point, instead?
2) Our reviews of those mentioned above.

Our Ratings of Le Cellier - Lunch & Dinner: (*rev 6/6/2014*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: D
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Cheddar Cheese Soup
. . . entree:.. Spring Lamb Loin
. . . dessert:. Lemon Curd Torte

NOTE: The food quality has not improved greatly nor has the interior since it become
a "signature" restaurant, I expect top service, food and surroundings. I don't want dark
boding colors, and worn carpets. Dungeons have more warmth. The cooks aren't that
good in preparing "fine" steaks; they are still used to the medium quality steaks from
the staple of the old menu. This is a true disappointment for a "signature" meal. They
want an increased the price without increasing the food or experience. The reputation
has always been overrated. I liken it to either "Drinking the Koolaid" or "Lemmings to
the Sea". Due to hard-to-get-ressies, people always assumed it was better than it is.
Unknown to many is that the food taste is raised much like frozen foods through the
addition of sodium. This is true of many WDW eateries. As a comparison, Le Cellier is
about the same as an Outback restaurant for beef.

Our Ratings of Brown Derby: (*rev 2/24/2014*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Crispy Phyllo Napoleon
. . . entree:.. Herb-Roasted Rack of Lamb
. . . dessert:. Grapefruit Cake

NOTE: Declared a Disney "signature" restaurant, Brown Derby doesn't measure up to
the classification. Although a relaxing atmosphere, food quality is below average. This
is a Disney-owned eatery, not a true Brown Derby. BD made a licensing agreement with
Disney. Only the original Derby remains. In six states, there are the new "Brown Derby
Roadhouses" which were opened by Girves. They are no longer connected with Brown
Derby or Disney's Brown Derby. For Hollywood Studios, Girves should not have allowed
Disney to denigrate the famous Brown Derby name and reputation.

LeCellier is by far our favorite steak restaurant...and the carnivores in my house (DH and DS) won't settle for anything less than the bone-in ribeye. Yachtsman used to be our fave, but not last summer. The waiter even told us that the chef from when we were there in '11 went over to cook at LeCellier, which explained so much! Also, the maple creme brulee is not to be missed...might be the best dessert on property. Just my $.02...

I don't think any of the in-park signature places stand up favorably to the resort signatures. Use your credits at Artist Point or another resort signature restaurant.

Not sure what DDP you have but be aware that LC is 2 credits just like all other signatures. Having said that, I like LC and YS. I generally order a Filet and I have found the quality at YS to be slightly better. If you are getting a different cut of meat such as a strip I would say LC is your place.

Not sure what DDP you have but be aware that LC is 2 credits just like all other signatures. Having said that, I like LC and YS. I generally order a Filet and I have found the quality at YS to be slightly better. If you are getting a different cut of meat such as a strip I would say LC is your place.

We're on the standard DDP (1 TS/night) but we're there a night longer than we're in the parks, so we have the "budget" to do one 2-credit experience and still have a TS every day.

Definitely considering Yachtsman, and if I do, that brings up two questions:

1) What TS (single-credit) would folks here most recommend for the World Showcase, and

2) Using the DDP, is there way to book a package at the World Showcase that includes viewing for Illuminations, or is that just a matter of booking for the right evening time and hoping you can be seated outdoors, like at R&C?

We're on the standard DDP (1 TS/night) but we're there a night longer than we're in the parks, so we have the "budget" to do one 2-credit experience and still have a TS every day.

1) What TS (single-credit) would folks here most recommend for the World Showcase, and

2) Using the DDP, is there way to book a package at the World Showcase that includes viewing for Illuminations, or is that just a matter of booking for the right evening time and hoping you can be seated outdoors, like at R&C?

My favorite World Showcase restaurant is Via Napoli. There is just something about that pizza that I can't get enough of. As for a package, I know there are some things like the Spice Road table but I don't have any info on them and I don't know if it's during Illuminations. You could always try Rose and Crown Pub and see if you can get a patio seat for Illuminations.

I like Le Cellier over Yachtsman & HBD - but you should also really try Teppan Edo if your a steak fan. Something about their filet right off the hibachi grill - it's absolutely amazing! The pizza & pistachio gelato at Via Napoli is also a wonderful meal - and the house made pasta and Tutto Italia is also fabulous. pixiedust:

We love Le Cellier and have for years. The bone in rib-eye is amazing and my husband loves the filet. Yes, they've changed it but from reviews we've read the spinach risotto is better than the mushroom. We'll see if my husband agrees in November. I think the only place Le Cellier fails at is dessert. In the countless times I've ate there I've only had one dessert I've really loved. I actually don't usually order off the adult dessert menu because none of it appeals to me, I'll order the kids chocolate mouse. I recommend Le Cellier and say give it a try, it's a must do for us on every trip.

Yachtsman !!

We went to LeCellier in March for our Anniversary and I can say I regret it. Hostess staff is rude and while our Waiter was awesome! I just didn't feel the steak stood up to it reputation of the past, the current version is just okay.

I choose, Yachtsman!!

If you have a single TS credit to use in world showcase I highly recommend you try Tutto Italia. Their food is great and dessert is wow.

To my knowledge you cannot use a DDP to book the package with Illuminations. However, you could use a FP selection for the viewing area. Also, you could just stand anywhere around the lagoon. Sure there are better places than others but I don't feel it is worth the OOP expense nor the use of a FP.

Others may correct me if this has changed, but in 2012, this is what my group did: If you book Rose and Crown close to Illuminations, but not too close (7-7:30) you can sit anywhere and about 15 minutes before the show, they open a private viewing area for their patrons. It's in front of and below the people sitting in the good seats of the restaurant.

So my roomie and I are planning a trip to WDW for next May and are starting to form a game plan for the use of our table-service credits. The way our nights/days in parks work out, we have an extra credit so decided to choose one Signature Dining experience. I'm a huge steak fan and have always wanted to try Le Cellier but the price has kept me away (this is my first trip with the dining plan.) However, I've started to hear some not-so-great things about Le Cellier since they've changed the menu.

Anyone who has made a trip there in the last few months - is it still worth it if it's to be our only Signature Dining experience? The other that I've been interested in is the Hollywood Brown Derby at DHS, and I'm curious if a majority of you out there would recommend HBD over Le Cellier.

Thanks a bunch!

We love Le Cellier, but if we only had ONE signature dining meal to choose, it wouldn't be Le Cellier nor would it be Artist Point.

In order for what we'd prefer;

Jiko - Atmosphere, great food and the wine list.

Narcoossee's - Dim atmosphere, nice walk through Grand Floridian, great food.

Yachtsman Steakhouse - Lively atmosphere yet still more upscale dining, excellent meat preparations without feeling as 'stuffy' as Shula's.

Flying Fish - Awesome appetizers, entrees and dessert. A louder, more lively restaurant too.

We used to really enjoy Artist Point, until we visited more signature restaurants. The portobello soup is awesome, while the rest of the appetizers are weak. The buffalo strip is phenomenal, while the scallops, hen and pork loin were 'meh'. The berry cobbler is fantastic, but the other choices are bleh and everywhere has sorbets.

Don't put too much weight into the negative Le Cellier reviews. With being a signature dining, a lot of people want a 'nice', more formal atmosphere where they can talk and have a relaxing meal and talk. Le Cellier is loud and has a lot of kids mixed-in and park attire, as it's located in a park. If you're trying to conserve park time and not have to drive/transport to a resort, then Le Cellier would be a great fit. We've always had a great steak there. We dine at high-end steak houses back home and we've never been disappointed with the food at Le Cellier, ever. The place is LOUD, it's tighter seating and a lot of kids and park attire. That, mixed with the super hype of Le Cellier over the past years, people expect to be wowed with some elegant experience and it's just not the case.

We went to WDW this last May and we ate at Le Cellier for the first time. We budgeted for the dinner and decided that it would be about 250 for the 4 of us going. We all decided that we would get 2 steaks and just share them. My brother and I decided on the ribeye I think? It was great by the way, and my mom and her friend decided on another. I forget exactly which one. We also ordered to poutine fries and everyone got a salad. Both pairs of people also ordered the soup since it is one of the special items everyone always talks about. We ended up spending about 170 for everything and everyone got to taste everything. The fries were good but they were way too rich for me so I only had a couple of bites. The steaks were cooked perfectly and tasted fantastic. The cheese soup that everyone raves about was really gritty and didn't taste that great to me. Overall it was a cool experience and something that you should try once just to say you've had it, and the food is good but we won't be going back.

Don't put too much weight into the negative Le Cellier reviews. With being a signature dining, a lot of people want a 'nice', more formal atmosphere where they can talk and have a relaxing meal and talk. Le Cellier is loud and has a lot of kids mixed-in and park attire, as it's located in a park. If you're trying to conserve park time and not have to drive/transport to a resort, then Le Cellier would be a great fit. We've always had a great steak there. We dine at high-end steak houses back home and we've never been disappointed with the food at Le Cellier, ever. The place is LOUD, it's tighter seating and a lot of kids and park attire. That, mixed with the super hype of Le Cellier over the past years, people expect to be wowed with some elegant experience and it's just not the case.

thank you for this! we are planning on finally trying it on our next trip and I feel much better knowing what to expect.

Just to sum it up, Brown Derby is the only restaurant in Disney World we'd ever pick over Le Cellier...and sometimes not.
Wherever you end up, sure hope you have a magical time!

:goodvibes

We dined at LC last Friday evening. I had the filet which was fabulous. DH had the bone in ribeye which was not stellar. I tried it and it seemed more like a sirloin. Very stringy and tough. It had absolutely NO seasoning (not even salt it seemed). I was happy with my filet, DH not so happy with his ribeye. In fact, we dined at Narcoosee's the next night. He ordered the NY Strip there and it was heads above the ribeye at LC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter