Le Cellier for just soup?

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
I really want to have the cheddar soup and we have lunch reservations. Would it be wrong to just have a bowl of soup and something to drink for lunch? I feel like that would be strange but I don't really want anything else on the menu.:confused3

Kristine

You can obviously order as much or as little as you like. It's so dim in there no one at another table is going to notice how much is or isn't on your plate.

That stated, depending on how hungry your are the vaunted cheddar soup (which I found O.K, not life-changing - the beer in it added a bit of "flatness" I didn't care for) may not fill you. There's actually nothing else on the menu that appeals?

You can obviously order as much or as little as you like. It's so dim in there no one at another table is going to notice how much is or isn't on your plate.

That stated, depending on how hungry your are the vaunted cheddar soup (which I found O.K, not life-changing - the beer in it added a bit of "flatness" I didn't care for) may not fill you. There's actually nothing else on the menu that appeals?

Not really, We are already ordering steak at a few other places and I really only want the soup. I am more of a snacker, not a big meal eater. My DH on the other hand can put food down like a champ!:eek:

If we end up keeping the reservation, I think I will just get the soup and hope that I like it.:lmao:

Kristine

Not really, We are already ordering steak at a few other places and I really only want the soup. I am more of a snacker, not a big meal eater. My DH on the other hand can put food down like a champ!:eek:

If we end up keeping the reservation, I think I will just get the soup and hope that I like it.:lmao:

Kristine

Good luck! I hated the soup, I could taste the beer and it had a horrible after taste. It was such a left down but the steak, pretzel bread and mousse more than made up for it.

I love love love beer cheese soup. But there is a place that I get it here that is amazing and I hope I am not dissapointed in Le Cellier. Maybe soup and a dessert is in order!

Kristine

When we went in January I loved the mushroom fillet but I did not care for the soup at all :sick:

But if you are going for lunch I'm thy will let you order just soup! But the desserts were great too :love:

I would go just for the soup and pretzel bread again anytime!! We really loved it. If you like the taste of beer, you will enjoy the beer cheese soup. If you don't care for the taste of beer, you might not like it.

Have a great time!

I would go just for the soup and pretzel bread again anytime!! We really loved it. If you like the taste of beer, you will enjoy the beer cheese soup. If you don't care for the taste of beer, you might not like it.

Have a great time!

but just like any restaurant, you order what you want. no pressure. there are enough people walking up hoping for a reservation that if your table turns over quickly, it's a little pixie dust for someone else (including the waiter!)

It's so dim in there no one at another table is going to notice how much is or isn't on your plate.

Why would anyone care what someone at another table had on their plate??????

I have tried the soup 2 times and honestly- I'm not sure what the "hype" is.... Both times it was incredibly salty.. In fact, everything at Le Cellier was. But the soup was such a disaappointment for me.. I was so excited about it and it became the one thing that was inedible for me the entire trip... ( This was last July.) I tried it again at F&W in Oct thinking it was a fluke and again it was so salty , it was inedible for me.

You can order whatever you want, and how much of whatever you want. My mom wants us to take a trip together next summer but doesn't want to do the dining plan, because she doesn't eat that much, and never orders desert. If anyone has a problem with you just ordering a bowl of soup, then that is their problem, because it is perfectly okay with Le Cellier if you just order soup.

I don't know on the lunch menu if you can order just the steakhouse caesar salad but I know for dinner I have ordered the salad and soup. It was great and no one said anything about me not ordering an entree. I normally love the mushroom filet but that night I just wasn't very hungry for some reason.

Is this the very same "cheddar cheese soup" that everyone raves about ??
Is there 2 different kinds? You mean it's made with beer ?????
For me - I can't even kiss my DH if he's had a beer. Oh Yuck! I REALLY dislike the taste of beer. I was thinking of getting a reservation just to taste the cheddar cheese soup that is raved about.

For me - I can't even kiss my DH if he's had a beer. Oh Yuck! I REALLY dislike the taste of beer. I was thinking of getting a reservation just to taste the cheddar cheese soup that is raved about.

Only one kind of cheese soup on the menu, it has beer as an ingredient. I thought it was okay, but not something I would make a special trip for.

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
Le Cellier Steakhouse
serves 4-6
Ingredients:
3 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
6 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup fnely diced red onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups shredded canadian white cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoons tabasco sauce or to taste
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sause
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
fresh chives
1. In a 2-quart saucepan heat the milk and the chicken broth over medium-low heat.
2. Meanwhile in a 4 or 5 quart dutch oven cook the bacon stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Add the red onion, celery, and scallion and cook, stirring until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
4. Remove the dutch oven from the heat, add the heated milk mixture and whisk until well blended. Return to the heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minutes or until thickened.
5. Remove the dutch oven from the heat and stir in the cheese, tabasco sause, worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chives.

Why would anyone care what someone at another table had on their plate??????

You never know - in smaller restaurants with tight seating (ergo, LeCellier setup, although the seating there isn't "super tight" like in many urban spots I 've been to) there's always some peeping going (oooo...that looks good...OMG, that's the souflle?" etc.)

My point again is in LeCellier that risk is lowered because it's dim. So no one dining there needs to be particularly self-conscious about how much or little (or what) they are eating. 180 degrees away from that is the outdoor seating at Big River over at Boardwalk, where you, the big beer mug and the meatloaf mass on your plate are closely examined by every other passer-by!

One soup and it is made with beer. I too HATE beer and will dodge my DH's kisses if he has had one. I didn't think much of it being an ingredient because I cook a few dishes with beer and I've never tasted it but I could really taste it in that soup. DH tried it and he commented on how odd it was to actually taste it too. Granted he liked the soup but he would not have traded his appetizer (some sort of chipotle sausage) for it.

I usually steal a taste from my DD's to remind myself, and to make sure I just didn't have it on an off night. Now the mussels appetizer....mmmmmmmm :thumbsup2! DH always orders the soup.

They should really put it on the menu as beer cheese soup, if you can taste the beer that well. It is something that is very popular here in the north, so it is expected in that kind of soup. But I can see if someone who is not used to it saw cheddar soup, they would not expect it to taste like beer.

Kristine

Thanks for the clarification .. this was on my "to eat" list, but bleh! No beer cheese soup for me!

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter