Le Cellier - anyone out there who didn't like it?

sdteacher

Mouseketeer
We ate lunch there during our recent trip. It was "ok". I did not care for my prime rib sandwich at all. My husband said his steak was just alright. I was disappointed as I had always read such awesome reviews. I definitely wouldn't rush back to eat there. Maybe it would have been better if we had eaten dinner there instead, but we were unable to get a reservation for dinner. Just curious if I am the only one out there who didn't care for it all that much.

I have to say I do not see all the fuss.. I know people love it, but to me it is mediocre and I have been there and done that. It is not one that I repeat, and yet I repeat many other Epcot and studios restaurants, just not that one.

I agree. We like it, and we have repeated it. It was better about five or six years ago - and each time we've gone since its been a little more disappointing. After the last trip we won't go back...my husband's steak was lousy.

Piggy backing on the two prior posts, we've been to LC twice and have not been all that impressed. There is no atmosphere. The tables are too close together. The steaks are no better than what I can cook at home (and my mushroom risotto is better ;) ). We had one average server and one good.

We have eaten at Le Cellier numerous times. It was one of our favorites, until our meal there last June. The steak was mediocre at best, the service wasn't that great either. Nothing we had stood out as "really good." It was a disappointment, and we are in no hurry to return.

We used to really love it, but the popularity has really had an effect. We used to book it twice for dinner on every trip and truly enjoyed both the meal and the service. But the last few times we've gone, it hasn't lived up to our previous experiences.

The service at the host stand has NOT been good. We have encountered a lot of snottiness and that hasn't set a good tone. The food is okay and our servers have always been very efficient and pleasant. However, on our last trip there, my nephew and I were still eating our entrees when the rest of our party not only had their plates removed, but were all handed dessert menus. There was a definite feel of "get 'em fed, get 'em out!".

So why do we still go? Sadly, because our DS loves the pretzel bread and has declared Le Cellier is his "can't miss" meal on each trip. Needless to say, I am searching for some place around here where we can get the pretzel bread so he can find another favorite at WDW.

So why do we still go? Sadly, because our DS loves the pretzel bread and has declared Le Cellier is his "can't miss" meal on each trip. Needless to say, I am searching for some place around here where we can get the pretzel bread so he can find another favorite at WDW.

OT, I guess, but that's something I just don't get (and my intention is not to single you out, because the "can't miss" thing comes up frequently). I have certain things I really love about WDW, but NOTHING is a "can't miss". Why? Because even if I miss out on a favorite (riding Splash Mtn., eating at Flying Fish), I can accept that because I'M STILL ON VACATION IN WDW. :) :)

We've eaten there tons of times, and it used to be my hubby's favorite as we always had good food and consistent service - maybe because we are Canadian - LOL!!

Despite this, on our last trip, we noticed a decline and were saddened by that. So, we are eating there for lunch next trip, to see if this was just a blip, if it's not up to standards, then unfortunately, we won't be going as often, which is sad.

It seems we are taking more and more restaurants off of our list as the food and service continue to decline, yet prices continue to rise. :(

Tiger

LeCellier is a good restaurant, just not up to the overblown reputation that it has. I suspect it's so highly sought after because its compared to some rather mundane competition from the other restaurants around World Showcase.

Really, its basically a good restaurant.

OT, I guess, but that's something I just don't get (and my intention is not to single you out, because the "can't miss" thing comes up frequently). I have certain things I really love about WDW, but NOTHING is a "can't miss". Why? Because even if I miss out on a favorite (riding Splash Mtn., eating at Flying Fish), I can accept that because I'M STILL ON VACATION IN WDW. :) :)

Good question! My meaning of "can't miss" in this case is that DH, DS and I each get one ADR favorite that we get to pick. DH's is Yachtsman, mine is Boma and DS's is Le Cellier. So perhaps a better way to say it is that Le Cellier is DS's contribution to the ADR list?

I agree with you - the only true "can't miss" is the WDW vacation itself!

I have to say I do not see all the fuss.. I know people love it, but to me it is mediocre and I have been there and done that. It is not one that I repeat, and yet I repeat many other Epcot and studios restaurants, just not that one.

I agree with Marsha. I don't understand all the rave reviews about this place. We had lunch at LeCellier and it was fine - nothing special. Personally, I don't care for the atmosphere. It struck me as dark and kind of dull. I have no desire to eat there again.

DH and I weren't head over heels in love with it either. I'm not a big meat eater, the chicken dish didn't sound good to me so I tried my first steak and got the filet. It tasted good, but as I don't have a taste for steak, I just thought it was ok. I also didn't really like the soup :-)eek: shocking I know!). DH said his steak was ok also, he was also feeling really nauseous that night so he wasn't a good judge. It's one place we won't be rushing to make ADRs for the next time. I did love the pretzel bread though!

Interesting.:scratchin I thought DH & I were the only ones who 'lost the lovin feeling for this place'.
This was DH's only 'must do' place 3 years in a row. We went this past Sept and we didn't love it. It wasn't bad but it wasn't fantastic. We both still loved the soup and the breadsticks, but the steaks were not outstanding. We were just talking about our Sept 09 trip and he said he wanted to take a break from it this year.

eta: we both MUCH prefered the steak at the Coral Reef - go figure.

I think everyone is posting these negative reviews so it will be easier to get a reservation..............just kidding! I've tried to get a reservation a few times in the past but never could for dinner. I'm going again in July so I'm going to try at the 90 day mark to see if I can get in. I guess if I can't, I won't be too heart broken based on the reviews!

Totally disagree with you all.....
We had a party of nine in October and it was by far the most amazing meal we had anywhere in any of the parks. Now granted, we didn't eat at the signature restaurants, but we ate at Boma, WC, CP, 50s PT, and many others, but everyone in our group agreed that it was incredible. I can honestly say that my filet was the best steak I have ever eaten in my entire life....dh said the same. The dessert (creme brulee) however, was not so good. I loved the pretzel bread, and the cheese soup was good, but not something I would have to have again. We were super disappointed in others, like Coral Reef, but definitely not leCellier. I say go and order the filet...I don't think you will regret it.

Good question! My meaning of "can't miss" in this case is that DH, DS and I each get one ADR favorite that we get to pick. DH's is Yachtsman, mine is Boma and DS's is Le Cellier. So perhaps a better way to say it is that Le Cellier is DS's contribution to the ADR list?

I agree with you - the only true "can't miss" is the WDW vacation itself!

My kids liked this place for years more than my husband I and did...because of the chocolate moose. But first the tongue changed, then the cookie went. Each subsequent trip the moose had gotten less cute. The moose you get now looks nothing like the adorable moose that we got when they were four and five. This last trip my now nine and ten year old looked at the moose and said "this isn't nearly as cute - and it tastes like jello chocolate pudding." We knew then we were pretty much done with it being a request from them.

The pretzel bread and cheese soup are really good.

We liked it the first time we ate there but the second time it was just okay. We were on DDP both times. We felt crowded in, the floor had food (french fries ) all over, our waiter forget my DM's wine, and the pasta was too spicy. It's now off of our list of places to eat. :confused3

On the other end of the spectrum for us is Kona Cafe. We usually eat dinner there twice eat trip.

We were very excited about it, but definitely didn't love it. My steak was so-so and the mushroom risotto was VERY salty and pretty flavorless. In fact, all I really remember about the meal was how salty and bland it was :sad2: We also didn't love the Cheddar soup that is raved about. Different strokes and all that.

The desserts were good. Surprisingly (to me) the smores-like dessert was my fave.

For us it was just ok. It did not meet the superior status that we expected after reading everyone's rave reviews. But I did learn a lesson from that. Our service was not great and we were practically sitting with the people at the table beside us. The food was just alright. We'll probably go back but our expectations are quite lower than when we went the first time

Totally disagree with you all.....
We had a party of nine in October and it was by far the most amazing meal we had anywhere in any of the parks. Now granted, we didn't eat at the signature restaurants, but we ate at Boma, WC, CP, 50s PT, and many others, but everyone in our group agreed that it was incredible. I can honestly say that my filet was the best steak I have ever eaten in my entire life....dh said the same. The dessert (creme brulee) however, was not so good. I loved the pretzel bread, and the cheese soup was good, but not something I would have to have again. We were super disappointed in others, like Coral Reef, but definitely not leCellier. I say go and order the filet...I don't think you will regret it.

I totally agree here, we went our first trip last september with a party of 6 late dinner reservations, and it was amazing the food was awesome and the server was out of this world awesome, he was doing magic tricks for us...we had such a great time..I as well had the filet and my mouth is watering for it right now..I am going back to DW this may and September and plan on eating there both times..hopefully anyways..I think you should next time try and get the dinner reservation not the lunch...:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter