Layover at JFK

3monkeymomma

Mouseketeer
We are flying Delta and have an hour layover at JFK, both on the way to MCO and the way home. I have never been to JFK. Has anyone been there recently? Is this enough time?

It depends on what all you're wanting to accomplish and how bogged down you are with luggage/kids.

As long as there are no delays, you'll have time to get to your next gate and use the restroom. (May even be able to grab something quick to eat. Although I suggest if you're traveling with someone, have one person grab food, one person take any kids to the restroom and meet at the gate)

If I remember, Delta usually flies in to T2 or T4. There are 2 shuttle stops in Terminal 4 and 1 in Terminal 2. It's been a few months so I may be off.

ETA: Just realized you're coming in from Canada. oops :/ What time are your flights?

Spent 7.5 hours there on the way down after our connecting flight got cancelled in March. The 1.5 hour layover we had on the way back turned in to a made dash between gates after delays getting off the ground at FLL. So yes an hour is doable. Regardless look at the JFK website and get to know the layout of the terminals. If you need to change terminals you want to know where you are going and how to get there (better to know in advance then try and do it on the fly).

It depends on what all you're wanting to accomplish and how bogged down you are with luggage/kids.

ETA: Just realized you're coming in from Canada. oops :/ What time are your flights?

One flight arrives at JFK at 0720 am and the next one leaves at 0825 am

Coming home, we arrive at JFK at 1944 and leave at 2100.

I will be travelling with my husband and 3 kids. Usually each kid has a carry on luggage with wheels and a backpack. Maybe I will just give them their wheeled suitcase and leave the backpacks at home to make things flow smoother. I like the idea of me taking the kids to the bathroom and having DH get some food. I will also pack some snacks. Airports make me nervous!

One flight arrives at JFK at 0720 am and the next one leaves at 0825 am

Coming home, we arrive at JFK at 1944 and leave at 2100.

I will be travelling with my husband and 3 kids. Usually each kid has a carry on luggage with wheels and a backpack. Maybe I will just give them their wheeled suitcase and leave the backpacks at home to make things flow smoother. I like the idea of me taking the kids to the bathroom and having DH get some food. I will also pack some snacks. Airports make me nervous!

Coming back you'll be fine. It's pretty late-ish and you don't have to clear customs.

My concern is going to be your arriving flight coming in to the US. Only doing carry on will definitely help. But you're coming in pretty early so that might be helpful as well.

I would be sure to have all of your stuff ready to go, and as soon as you clear customs make a dash for food and restrooms.

At least if I understand correctly you'll clear customs and immigration between flights, but I think as long as you plan well, you can still clear it and get to your gate with food (Im talking fast food not sit down lol)

Would you be willing to pre-clear in Canada? I know it means arriving at the airport sooner, but it will make your layover a breeze.

Would you be willing to pre-clear in Canada? I know it means arriving at the airport sooner, but it will make your layover a breeze.

Yes, we will pre-clear Customs before we leave Halifax. So we should be ok then? Thanks for your input.

Yes, we will pre-clear Customs before we leave Halifax. So we should be ok then? Thanks for your input.

As long as you're not badly delayed you should be good. Even if you fly into T2 and fly out of T4, it will be hectic but you'll be fine.

One thing to be careful of is that JFK is undergoing a major runway refurbishment right now. We got an email while on vacation in March letting us know that JFK was doing everything possible to minimize delays. I believe that is code for expect delays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter