• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Layover at Atlanta GA. Airport

antree

DIS Veteran
Leaving for Disney in 10 days, I have a 1 hr layover in Atlanta, GA. It will be just me and my son and I have never had a layover before. Has anyone been to the airport? Flying Southwest with change of plane. Are gates right there near each other? Is it just enough time to get off one and right on to the other? Will there be time for restroom and a beverage? Trying to get some info so I know what to expect. TIA...:)

I've never flown Southwest through Atlanta, but I've changed planes there many times. One hour should be sufficient if your first flight arrives on time. Remember that your next flight will begin boarding about thirty minutes before takeoff, so your hour layover is more like half an hour.

What I generally do is leave the first plane, find my next gate and THEN hit the restroom, concessions, etc. That way I know where I should be and am in close proximity when boarding begins on tight layovers.

The Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is huge. There are 207 gates spread across 7 different concourses. There's an underground automated people mover to help people get around.

The good news is that Southwest only uses half of one of the 7 concourses. You will not need to change concourses or have to worry about using the people mover. Southwest uses gates 1-22 in Concourse C. You will be able to easily walk between gates.

If you're a visual person, here's a map of Concourse C:
atl_concourse_c_360_wl.jpg

Source: http://www.travelnerd.com/airports/atlanta-airport-ATL/terminal-map/concourse-c/45
Link to the official website for ATL: http://www.atl.com/

You'll be fine. We change in Atlanta anytime we fly Delta. Flights out of our home airport are little puddle jumpers that go to 1 specific terminal at Hartsfield. We have to wait on our carry ons to be brought out and walk in. We have had to go from A1 to E37, the furthest 2 gates from each other and made it in under 30 min. We even had a minute to sit before boarding.

The Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is huge. There are 207 gates spread across 7 different concourses. There's an underground automated people mover to help people get around.

The good news is that Southwest only uses half of one of the 7 concourses. You will not need to change concourses or have to worry about using the people mover. Southwest uses gates 1-22 in Concourse C. You will be able to easily walk between gates.

If you're a visual person, here's a map of Concourse C:
atl_concourse_c_360_wl.jpg

Source: http://www.travelnerd.com/airports/atlanta-airport-ATL/terminal-map/concourse-c/45
Link to the official website for ATL: http://www.atl.com/
Thank you so much. This was a great help.

Thank you everyone. It helps knowing what to expect. I feel a lot better. ...:)

Agree with PPs, it's no problem. Do keep in mind, however, that Southwest generally begins boarding about 30 minutes prior to your flight time. You'll want to be at your gate area around that time so you don't miss your boarding position. I once had to board with the B's because by the time I got to my gate, my A boarding position had already passed.

You would have time for a rest room stop but depending on the time of day, the lines for getting a soda could be long so you might miss the start of boarding.
The little stores are usually get in and get out type things so you could always grab a bottle of water or soda at one of those if time is tight.

I just did this a few weeks ago on Southwest. Gates were next to each other. Had time to use the restroom and grab a quick snack. I had a 1 1/2 hour layover. Keep in mind that boarding usually begins about 30 mins prior to flight. Group A about 20-25 mins, Group C 15-20 mins prior.

I would make sure you are somewhat close to the plane as it could take 15-20 minutes to clear out, only leaving 10 minutes or so to get to the next gate and use the restroom before boarding. The first flight being on time is key. I had a Delta flight from Lexington to MCO with a 2 hr 10 minute layover in Atlanta. My first flight was delayed due to weather in Atlanta and I had to go to a completely different concourse. With the late arrival, concourse change, and a short bathroom and even shorter stop for a snack, I was one of the last to board the Orlando bound plane when I had planned on killing 2 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter