Laur’s & Andy do the Universe and the World – Day Five

arieljasmine

<font color=magenta>Who says these things pass you
Laur’s & Andy do the Universe and the World – Day Five

Me – Laur’s – 27
DH – Andy – 28

Day five – 25 September 2006 – wasn’t that just a movie set?

We were up at 7.55 am today for our trip to Kennedy Space Center. Andy was excited that we were finally going, we had planned to go a couple of years ago and never got there thanks to Hurricane Jeanne. We had our apple juice and coffee, and Andy brought froot loops for me from the concierge lounge, and rice krispies for himself.

We left the HRH about 9.15 am and arrived at KSC at 10.20 am, with only one wrong turn just before we got there. I was very impressed that we didn’t have to pay for parking! We bought our standard admissions and they handed us a flyer to say that there would be a lauch that day – no way! We couldn’t believe our luck, especially as we knew it wasn’t long since the last launch.

We went into the entrance building and went through a metal detector and they also checked everyone’s bags and mobile phones – security was better here than at the airport!

We decided to watch one of the IMAX films first as there was one getting ready to start. We watched Magnificent Desolation which is a 40 minute film and it was very interesting. We then listened to a talk in the launch status center which we just stumbled across by accident – also most interesting. The guy was talking about the international space station and did a demonstration whereby he set fire to one of the tiles that are used on the outside of rockets to show that it could withstand high temperatures and cool down very quickly.

We were hungry by now so we had lunch in the Orbit Food Court. We shared a ham and cheese sandwich which came with tomato, green beans, yellow beans (not sure what these were but they tasted nice, looked like dyed green beans) red pepper and onion, and had an orange fanta in a souvenir cup – very cool, it is fun to drink out of at home and remember the day.

After lunch it had got to 1 pm so we thought it was time we got started on the bus tour. On the way to the bus we had our picture taken against a rocket backdrop.

The first stop was the Launch Complex (LC) 39 Observation Gantry. On our way there the bus driver pointed out the biggest single storey building in the world where they assemble the shuttles – upright. There is an American flag on the side of the building, and each of the stars is 6 ft tall!

FloridaSept06076.jpg

When we arrived we watched a short film about getting shuttles from landing to taking off again, and then we looked round the exhibit outside the theatre. We started walking up the gantry but I bailed after two floors. There were holes in the middle of the landings!! For someone scared of heights this is beyond inconsiderate!! I was going woozy so back down I went. Luckily, Andy has a head for heights so went up to the top and took some great pictures of the launch platforms.

FloridaSept06066.jpg

We got back on the bus at 2.15 pm to go to our second stop, and arrive at the Apollo/Saturn V Center at 2.30 pm. We watched a film about the beginnings of space travel and then it was time to go outside to watch the launch. The rocket being launched was a Delta II rocket (payload: Navstar GPS global positioning satellite). We weren’t waiting long before someone shouted “There it goes!” There was much scrambling around and “where, where, where?” but we both saw the orange light in the sky as the rocket disappeared and definitely heard it.

We went back inside where we were shown the actual control center for the Apollo 8 launch and saw a film of the moments before the launch, and the launch itself. In the next room they had the rocket which was just amazingly huge, and several other exhibits, including a moon buggy. The final part of the tour in this area was a film about Apollo 11 and the first man on the moon.

We got back on the bus at 4 pm and headed back to the centre. We didn’t have time to see the international space center part of the tour because we wanted to get back for the last showing of the second IMAX film. We arrived back at 4.10 pm, purchased our photo and a sprite and got to the theatre just in time. This film was called Space Station 3D and was 45 minutes long. I liked all the human interest stuff shown in this film, like a man shaving and his razor was floating alongside him!

We headed to the shop next, and I bought some moon soup for my dad, and some freeze dried ice cream for us (untested as yet!) and some m & ms for us to eat on the way home.

Finally, we had a look round the rocket garden and took some pictures. We both had to have a picture in this one as we were so amazed to find out that two men had lived in this tiny space for 14 days!

FloridaSept06116.jpg

FloridaSept06114.jpg

We set off back at 6 pm. We both enjoyed this trip so very much. I am very much a girl and thought this would be very much a boy’s day out. I was wrong. I can’t wait to go back, there was so much we didn’t have time to do and I found it so fascinating. Strange, I thought it would be Busch we would want to go back to, but it’s definitely KSC. If you’ve been dubious about this like I was, I encourage you to give it a try. So, do I still believe the moon landing was faked? Hmm, the jury’s still out on this one, ask me after my next trip!

We got back to I-Drive about 7 pm and went to McDs for tea. I had a chicken nuggets meal with diet coke, and Andy had a Big Tasty meal with strawberry fanta (strangely revolting).

We went back to the HRH, got showered and then went to the shop. Andy had seen a leather jacket he was interested in so went to try it on. We talked him into buying it as he looks super fly in it. I bought a Harajuku Lovers jacket in green and yellow (my Dad says “I see you’re wearing your Pakistan football shirt”) as I just couldn’t leave it getting lonely there in the shop.

We took our purchases back to the room and then headed over to Citywalk. We bought a lollipop from the Margaritaville shop for my friend Kari who is a Parrothead, and then went to the Endangered Species shop to get a giraffe (not a real one) for my sister. We are adopting her a giraffe for Christmas, so the cuddly toy is an extra just for her to open on the day. We also got Andy’s parents a puffin fridge magnet in there.

We got back to the hotel about 10.50 pm and went to the Velvet Rooms for a malibu for me and a gin and tonic for Andy. Slightly more people outside tonight, some bloke mouthing off, obviously thought he was something big because he played back up (or more likely was a roadie) for Evanescence. Got fed up of the posturing after a while and headed up to bed at 12.15 am.

ArielJasmine princess:

Hi

Sounds like you had a great day. We liked NASA although we were bored towards the end. We did all the tours in 98. The IMAX films were so old. On one of our tours we went into a room where they replayed Apollo 11. We also the launch sites and we went into another building where you can see the space suits, saw Saturn B etc. The second tour we were looking at the future of NASA. It took all day to do these so we missed the Rocket field. We would go back, but I dont think we would do all the tours in one day again, but we agreed we would wait until the boys are old enough to go. They are only 3 when we go and Casey will be 7 she would love it. I am pleased you enjoyed it.

Is the HRH loud then? I hope it was not causing you too many problems. Lovin the concierge.

Another great report! I love KSC, You are so lucky being there on launch day too! As for the moon landing - I still believe it was fake! :teeth:

That's so nice adopting a giraffe for your sister! :teeth:

We enjoyed KSC aswell. We will visit again one day as we didnt see any of the films as we did an extra tour

:sunny:

Jodie

angel659 said:
Is the HRH loud then? I hope it was not causing you too many problems. Lovin the concierge.

Generally, no, the HRH was not loud. It just happened that on this night there were some obnoxious people there who seemed to want everyone to look at them. The hotel does have music playing pretty much everywhere (except in the room corridors) but that is one of the reasons I love it so much!

jockey said:
Another great report! I love KSC, You are so lucky being there on launch day too! As for the moon landing - I still believe it was fake!

Pleased to hear that I am not alone!

ArielJasmine princess:

Sounds like a great day out (I know DH has been but I think we'll need to wait quite a few more years to try it as a family)

Hope we'll get to see a photo of you both in your new jackets - bless your Dad, such a 'Dad' thing to say

You have just reminded me that we have some freeze dried ice-cream from KSC somewhere ..... if only I could remember where I put it :rotfl:

Great day at KSC,I bought moon soup for my dad too :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter