Laundering Duffy (stuffed animal)?

flyingdumbo127

DIS Veteran
Happy Sunday, everyone. I was given a Happy Birthday stuffed animal Duffy a few years ago that I would now love to give to a sweet friend I met at Church for her 90th birthday! Duffy needs a "bath." He looks like: http://www.yourwdwstore.net/assets/images/1/10000/3000/500/400001703120.jpg His hat is not removable. I am wondering if it would be okay to wash him? I would put him inside a mesh laundry bag and wash/dry on gentle. Thank you!

Last edited:
I throw my "Duffy" in the wash and dry and he comes out really nice. I have the original Duffy or rather Duffy before he became Duffy.
tigercat

Mommysaurus, such a cute username :) My hesitancy was only because of Duffy's hat. I am thinking the twirl at the tops is stiff ribbon? I wasn't sure if this was plastic or not and therefore not such a good idea to launder. I could also, always cut that part off as it is separate from the bottom of the hat. I don't think there'd be a hole if I did that is what I mean. I appreciate all of your suggestions. :)

Mommysaurus, such a cute username :) My hesitancy was only because of Duffy's hat. I am thinking the twirl at the tops is stiff ribbon? I wasn't sure if this was plastic or not and therefore not such a good idea to launder. I could also, always cut that part off as it is separate from the bottom of the hat. I don't think there'd be a hole if I did that is what I mean. I appreciate all of your suggestions. :)

Thanks...that's what my dinosaur loving little boy likes to call me :)

I wish I could post a picture of my "Duffy" although we call him AK because we picked him up at Animal Kingdom. He is slightly darker than the new one but in every other way he is the same. Right after we bought him we looked for him the next couple of times we were there but they never had him again until they rolled out Duffy. I had heard that he had not been selling so he went to Japan. They all went crazy for him over there and the name Duffy came about. They then brought him back to Disney World with clothes and they sell.

I have washed and dried him with no trouble although I do a light dry and they hang to finish drying.
tigercat

^I'd love to see a picture of your Duffy, Tigercat. I never knew he wasn't always "Duffy."

I do remember last year, I had contacted Disney sharing that I was (still am) in the process of writing my first book (of short stories). I had asked them if it would be possible (once the book was completed and specific story finalized) for me to include Duffy's picture. I would have, of course, said he was property of Disney, etc. They replied that there were future plans for Duffy in the works. As for my request, not a flat out no, more of a contact us again when all is finished. Since then, my idea for that tale has changed but am sharing because this thread reminded me that Duffy just might come back sometime. I do love the story about Minnie making Duffy for Mickey :)

And now they have a girl for Duffy. When we were there in Jan. I hoped to get a piece of clothing for him but they didn't really have much to chose from. There were more double clothes than single. An outfit for Duffy and one for his girlfriend. I forget what her name is.

I remember the first time we had our Duffy in the backpack looking out. They had not released the new Duffy. Some young girls from Japan saw him and got really excited and wanted to see him. At the time I couldn't figure out why they were so excited to see him until I was told by a CM that he had been redesigned and had been released in Japan.

I'd go ahead and toss it in the mesh bag and put it in the washer and dryer. I did that with all my kids stuffed animals, and only ever had one explode in the wash.

And now they have a girl for Duffy. When we were there in Jan. I hoped to get a piece of clothing for him but they didn't really have much to chose from. There were more double clothes than single. An outfit for Duffy and one for his girlfriend. I forget what her name is.

I remember the first time we had our Duffy in the backpack looking out. They had not released the new Duffy. Some young girls from Japan saw him and got really excited and wanted to see him. At the time I couldn't figure out why they were so excited to see him until I was told by a CM that he had been redesigned and had been released in Japan.
ShellieMay is her name. She and Duffy are an obsession in Japan. More popular than Mickey, I'd say.

I wash my daughter's in a net bag in the washing machine. They've all survived. :)

I really do learn something new on here every day! I had no clue Duffy had a girlfriend or that her name is Shellie May.

Thank you, sailorstitch for the cleaning spray link that would have come in very handy when I was little and had a ton of stuffed friends of all sizes. :)

Hug to all and thank you and from Duffy, too. As a P.S. I forgot to say his actual hat is soft. What I was referring to as possibly being hard ribbon or plastic are the decorative curls at the peak of the hat. I will get mesh bag for him today and let all of you know how his bath goes.

Duffy is happy to report he is all nice and clean. I put him and some other small stuffed animal friends inside a mesh bag with a pull tab from Dollar Tree. Lol, the animals probably enjoyed a "bath" today as it was 90 here in LA. Thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

ShellieMay is her name.

Or as I call her, SmellyMay :P I wonder how many people know not only does he have a girlfriend, at TDL he now has an official friend called Gelatoni the Cat.

I'm a bit Duffy obsessed, I got my 17-inch Duffy 5 years ago at DCA and he has so many outfits now... I always try to get the limited edition costumes plus whatever looks cute, and also tend to get the 12-inch pre-dressed Duffys as well (eg. Chef Duffy for F&W, Sailer Duffy from DCL, Mechanic Duffy from DCA). Love the My Friend Duffy show at TDL, even if hearing him speak is quite unnerving. I was so sad that he's no longer a meet-and-greet character in the American parks. Yeah I'm a bit of a freak lol

Or as I call her, SmellyMay :P I wonder how many people know not only does he have a girlfriend, at TDL he now has an official friend called Gelatoni the Cat.

I'm a bit Duffy obsessed, I got my 17-inch Duffy 5 years ago at DCA and he has so many outfits now... I always try to get the limited edition costumes plus whatever looks cute, and also tend to get the 12-inch pre-dressed Duffys as well (eg. Chef Duffy for F&W, Sailer Duffy from DCL, Mechanic Duffy from DCA). Love the My Friend Duffy show at TDL, even if hearing him speak is quite unnerving. I was so sad that he's no longer a meet-and-greet character in the American parks. Yeah I'm a bit of a freak lol
Don't forget TippyBlue, Duffy's seagull postman. Lol.

I thought the whole Duffy thing was so bizarre and swore I would not be wasting any money on it at Tokyo Disney, even though he's the quintessential TDS souvenir. And then I got there... Duffy Mania rubs off on you after a few days. :blush: We came home with the 17" Duffy AND ShellieMay. (My DH was ready to drop $200 on the giant ones and I had to talk him off the ledge.). I may have even posed them in the park and taken a picture... But just once! :blush::blush::blush:

Last edited:
I eyed Duffy my last few trips...and just now ordered him and his Stitch costume and his Mickey costume from disneystore.com

There are great videos on youtube of TDL shops with Duffy outfits... so many outfits, so little $$$!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter