Laugh or Cry....HS Senior Prom 2009 Long Sorry

I can't wait to see the pictures and how the makeup artist does her makeup.
What is the weather prediction? It's rainy, cold and raw here.

Boy, they graduate late. Where is she going to college?

Great googly-moogly! I didn't spend that much dressing for my wedding.

It's a good thing that I sew. When DD decides to go to prom and or get married, she'll be getting her dresses from Mom's Boutique.

ME TOO!! You're talking about over $1000 for prom! :eek: My wedding dress was $150 (bought it on Ebay). My shoes were $35 and I wore them out just a month or so ago - they were red Mary Jane's. :) I did my own makeup. My mom's friend did my hair (free.) I wore Grandma's pearls (free.)

For prom, my mom made my dress. Materials were less than $50. I wore shoes I had and my mom's jewelry; my mom did my make up and her friend did my hair. The ticket was $65 at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in San Francisco. The limo was $30 each. I had to go home after prom, so there was no after party or breakfast (!!) in the price. I graduated in 1996. (My parents NEVER would have let me stay out all night with my boyfriend!)

I'm glad to hear you've had fun with it, but I can't imagine spending that much for prom. My kids are 3.5 and 9 months, though, so I'm sure it will be ridiculous by the time they're old enough to go. I should start saving now!

I so look forward to the prom threads every year, it brings back such fond memories of when our kids were living at home and all the excitement of prom time. Altho I’m a Nana many times over now, with 3 DD’s and a son, I have probably been thru 10-12 proms and too many college formals to count. :flower3:

I was blessed to go to my own prom 45 yrs ago in 1964 w/my now DH, I so enjoyed and loved all the fan fare associated with pre prom activities. Once again I was lucky to recaptured the rapture with our own teens....the tri state gown shopping for that special dress with our DD’s, the shoes, hair, jewelry, flowers, limo, portraits, and the whole works…..including their Dad tagging along! I think the most expensive gown purchased was $200., which back in the 80’ies on our very tight budget was big $$$, but DH and I did what we had to to make it work for our lovely DD’s and DS. We never regretted it and would do it again in a heartbeat! Our children are our most precious jewels, enjoy every moment you can, they grow up in the blink of an eye!! :lovestruc

Thank you for sharing your photos of all your lovely children! You are all very blessed, each and every photos brings a smile to my face! I would love to post my kids prom pix, but first of all I don't have them scanned, second, they may frown upon it, so I'll leave you with ours from 1964! :goodvibes

MySrProm1964-1.jpg

My senior prom, 1964, with my now DH, ahhh...the cherished memories! :love:
DH wore a white sports coat w/a pink carnation and I wore a blue gown w/yellow orchids his Dad has raised. :hug:

I LOVE your dress! My parents had their proms in 1962 and 1964 (they took each other to their proms!) and my mom's dress from her prom in '64 was almost identical to yours. Hers was pink, though. She didn't save it or I would have worn hers to my prom in 1986.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Hi all,

I'm checking in again...prom is tomorrow and I will post pics.

First, I just have to say all of the pic posted of your precious daughters and sons are so wonderful and I have really enjoyed looking at all the gowns and tux's and the smiling faces!

Second, I want to (again) say that I appreciate all of the support regarding the snarky comments about money and "being a good mom"....I don't think what you spend is what makes you a good mom....I think doing your best (defined however it is for you) for your child is what makes you a good mom.

So we have everything all set....dress was picked up and so were the shoes.....for those that have been interested here are some cost tabulations...

Dress.....$229
Alterations.....$65
Undergarment for dress.....$80
Shoes...dyed.....$100
Jewlery......$20
Hair clips......$20
Evening bag.....$35

After prom dress.....$50
After prom shoes......$35
After prom evening bag.....borrowed from me

Makeup......$175
Hair.......$300 (included $150 for the highlights and updo)
Manicure, Pedicure, Eyebrow......$40
Perfume.....already had
Flower for BF......$15

Limo......$240 (per girl 5 couples.....12 hours)
Prom Tickets ..... $250
After Prom Comedy Club......$60
Pictures at the Prom......$30

Trip to Wildwood.....$700

I think that wraps up the cost...I haven't added it up and I dont want to! ;) Before the snarky attacks start...I'll say that she works at Stop and Shop and she has paid for quite a bit of this herself as she has been saving and it is her choice to spend her money in this way!

I'd also like to add that we HAVE HAD the BEST time with this. Again, we have gotten closer and we are really beginning to see and understand how we both think and feel differently on a variety of subjects. The time I have spent with her planning this has been invaluable to me.

So tomorrow it is off to the nail salon, then the hair salon, then the make up artist will come to our house and then she gets dressed....she's off to take pictures at the pre prom and then her prom gets under way.

This week is "Senior" Week in her school. Yesterday they went to Great Adventure and today they get yearbooks. Wed. of course is Prom. Thursday is the Sr. BBQ (although alot are off to the NJ Shore) and Friday they are off. Next Monday and Tuesday is graduation practice and then they graduate on Wed, the 17th. They are really celebrating four years of hard work!

I hope your DD has a wonderful prom. :goodvibesIt sounds she's having a great ending
to her high school years. :goodvibes Hope she enjoys Wildwood!!

My DD had hers Friday, rain and all then 2 nights in Seaside Heights.
It was a great weekend all around. With all the costs it was well worth it.:goodvibes

Why do so many schools go to Jersey??

I so look forward to the prom threads every year, it brings back such fond memories of when our kids were living at home and all the excitement of prom time. Altho I’m a Nana many times over now, with 3 DD’s and a son, I have probably been thru 10-12 proms and too many college formals to count. :flower3:

I was blessed to go to my own prom 45 yrs ago in 1964 w/my now DH, I so enjoyed and loved all the fan fare associated with pre prom activities. Once again I was lucky to recaptured the rapture with our own teens....the tri state gown shopping for that special dress with our DD’s, the shoes, hair, jewelry, flowers, limo, portraits, and the whole works…..including their Dad tagging along! I think the most expensive gown purchased was $200., which back in the 80’ies on our very tight budget was big $$$, but DH and I did what we had to to make it work for our lovely DD’s and DS. We never regretted it and would do it again in a heartbeat! Our children are our most precious jewels, enjoy every moment you can, they grow up in the blink of an eye!! :lovestruc

Thank you for sharing your photos of all your lovely children! You are all very blessed, each and every photos brings a smile to my face! I would love to post my kids prom pix, but first of all I don't have them scanned, second, they may frown upon it, so I'll leave you with ours from 1964! :goodvibes

MySrProm1964-1.jpg

My senior prom, 1964, with my now DH, ahhh...the cherished memories! :love:
DH wore a white sports coat w/a pink carnation and I wore a blue gown w/yellow orchids his Dad has raised. :hug:

I just have to say, you and your DH look just as much in love in your sig pics as you do in your prom photos :love: Warms my heart.

It all sounds WAY overindulgent to me. My kids have been raised not to waste money on frivolous things. Prom is great, but it can be a lot cheaper than that. Prom here was: $100 dress, $20 shoes from PayLess, jewelry she already owned (or borrowed from Mom), she did her own hair and makeup, $75 tickets, $15 corsage, $50 meal, and his own car for transportation. After-party was at a friend's house (yes, until 4 AM, but we knew where they were and it wasn't super $$$). For under $300 the same amount of fun was had, and there was really no stress involved for them OR me or the other mom.

Can I just ask what I said to make anyone think that they were a bad mom if they didn't do what I'm doing?

The cost of the Mac makeup I would believe is standard. And for the record she usually buys other types of makeup...but this is a special occasion.

Seriously, I didn't post this to offend or get anyone upset...just wanted to share something.

I think a lot of people might have gotten the impression you were bragging...

It all sounds WAY overindulgent to me. My kids have been raised not to waste money on frivolous things. Prom is great, but it can be a lot cheaper than that. Prom here was: $100 dress, $20 shoes from PayLess, jewelry she already owned (or borrowed from Mom), she did her own hair and makeup, $75 tickets, $15 corsage, $50 meal, and his own car for transportation. After-party was at a friend's house (yes, until 4 AM, but we knew where they were and it wasn't super $$$). For under $300 the same amount of fun was had, and there was really no stress involved for them OR me or the other mom.

Actually in many parts what you spent is overindulgent as well. I also congratulate you for raising your children not to waste money on frivolous things. I have raised my children to respect one and other.

I can't wait to see the pictures and how the makeup artist does her makeup.
What is the weather prediction? It's rainy, cold and raw here.

Boy, they graduate late. Where is she going to college?

The weather started out misty in the morning and by night it was not raining at all. It wasn't hot either.....turned out nice...although cloudy.

I have lots of pics and I'll post a few soon. The make up artist did a great job....she looked really pretty.

Why is everyone caring about how much money other people are spending on their childrens prom? To some kids it is the biggest thing in the world, to others not so much. If you have the money to spend, why not do it?

Why is everyone caring about how much money other people are spending on their childrens prom? To some kids it is the biggest thing in the world, to others not so much. If you have the money to spend, why not do it?

:worship:

I agree....

Amen! Daughter is pitching in and mom is happy to contribute what she can and wants to. Obviously mom has the financial means to do so.

I totally agree. I love hearing about all of it! This thinking can be applied to everything. Why on earth would you get a CAT 3 for a cruise when you can sail in CAT 12? Whatever... I can't wait to see pictures and I hope everyone's children have a fantastic prom!!

I didn't go to prom myself because they guy I was dating had a family obligation away from home that weekend. My DH didn't go to his either. I felt at the time like I was missing out, but 15 years later. I am fine! I think when I have kids I will probably help them have their dream prom, if they so wish...

Prom is tonight for my twin DD's. They have a junior/senior prom so we will be doing it again next year. Just like we did 2 & 3 years ago for oldest DD.

We haven't spent anywhere near what the OP did, but that's just my/our choice. We did their nails last night. $5.99 for 2 sets of press on nails from Target. Those things stick like they were put on with cement!!! :rotfl: Someone at school today told them they looked like they were professionally done. We'll do the toes right after lunch this afternoon.

Just got back from getting their hair done & getting the boys bouttenieres. Plain white carnation bouttenieres (sp?) $2 each!!!!!

Hair was $30 for one updo & $35 for the other including tip. They paid for that themselves, as I gave them a choice on what I would pay for........limo or hair. They chose hair as limo was $50 each!!!

Only had to pay for one dress which was on sale for $99. Other DD is wearing one of her older sister's dresses. One set of shoes & garter were free with gift certificate. Had the other pair from homecoming, but did have to buy a garter. Bought the charms for the garter at a craft store. (still not sure why they need the charm, but whatever.............)

I'm sure they'll have a great time. I hope all prom goers are careful and stay safe.

Actually in many parts what you spent is overindulgent as well. I also congratulate you for raising your children not to waste money on frivolous things. I have raised my children to respect one and other.

Sorry, the tone I got from the OP was that your daughter (and you) were stressing that things wouldn't be JUST PERFECT for the prom, and that the sky's the limit when it comes to expenses. I'm allowed to think (and state) that I believe it's excessive. You are allowed to be defensive about it, if you wish!

No reason not to do it. The bragging is a bit much, though. JMO and I am entitled to it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter