• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Latest Virgin possible strike info

Obi Wan Kenobi

DIS Veteran
From the Union:

"Following the recent rejection of the Company's pay offer, I can now inform you that Unite will be conducting an Industrial Action Ballot. As this falls under legislative requirements, the Ballot will be administered from our Legal Department, and distributed by the Electoral Reform Service. We have informed the Company of our intention to carry out this process, and the timescale for distribution should be within the next 14 days. After distribution, the ballot will have a 3 week return period.

We will be meeting with the Company on 19th and 20th September in the hope that they may improve their current offer. If they are able to do so, you will be asked to vote on whether or not you wish to accept an improved offer. As this will be contained under the Industrial Action Ballot, any rejection will automatically invoke the need for Industrial Action. If the Company do not improve their offer, the Industrial Action Ballot will be a straight vote for Industrial Action in pursuit of the original wage claim, with any items negotiated to date in all probability being withdrawn by the Company.

At this juncture, It is not our intention to have a further consultative ballot as you have quite clearly signalled to Unite, that the substantial majority of members wish to participate in Industrial Action as a means to secure a wage offer that reflects the dedication and professionalism of Virgin Atlantic Cabin Crew.

Finally, as we are now entering a crucial period in the current dispute, I would stress the importance of ensuring 'all' work colleagues join Unite, and support the efforts being made on behalf of Virgin Atlantic Cabin Crew members. Your continued support is necessary if we are to bring an amicable conclusion to this matter. "

Five weeks would take it to the October Half term week, if it gets that far. :mad:

We fly four weeks on Saturday, the week before the half term starts! This has really put a dampener on my excitement, I've been worrying ever since I saw your post last weekend. I don't mind being stuck out there, just want to get there!

Wendy,
I woulkd imagine that if a strike occurs, it won't be an all out until we get our demands met, rather pinpoint strikes.

Virgin would probably run a reduced service with suitably trained mangers etc to crew the cabins and also join up flights with space, i.e. possibly put VS27 and 15 together.

Also, they would put some passengers on other airlines servicing the same routes.

Some might have to wait 24 hours, but until the vote comes back and the Union informs when they will be and what action is to be taken, it can only be speculation I'm afraid

Wendy,
I woulkd imagine that if a strike occurs, it won't be an all out until we get our demands met...

Ah! So now we know Obi.;)

I've always chosen between BA and Virgin to fly to Florida. Virgin normally "edge" it for me because they don't suffer from the legacy of militant unionism as do BA. With Virgin's recent (and hopefully only a short term blip) bad performance when it comes to delays I'll be watching the outcome of this very carefully.

Obi, thanks for keeping us informed, will you continue to do so please, although I have been keeping an eye on the Amacus site. Is it just the Heathrow/Gatwick flights affected? We are flying from Manchester.

Ah! So now we know Obi.;)

I've always chosen between BA and Virgin to fly to Florida. Virgin normally "edge" it for me because they don't suffer from the legacy of militant unionism as do BA. With Virgin's recent (and hopefully only a short term blip) bad performance when it comes to delays I'll be watching the outcome of this very carefully.

No, no.
Misinterpretation. I should have put quotations around it, thats the Royal "we" no the Obi "We" :goodvibes

I think a lot of people will consider their future options if the strike goes ahead.

I am afraid with younger crews, they don't remember the problems we had in the seventies with walk outs and strikes in all industries, its all new to them.

Obi, thanks for keeping us informed, will you continue to do so please, although I have been keeping an eye on the Amacus site. Is it just the Heathrow/Gatwick flights affected? We are flying from Manchester.

Its all cabin crew in the Union, so its all sites.

We fly out on the 10th and return on the 30th Oct - don't mind getting stuck out there (after all the schools already fining me £100 for taking DS12 out for 10 days - so another £50 wont hurt) but will really have a hissy fit and throw my toys out of the pram if it happens on the outbound flight ...................... that said, can understand the crews view, appears to be one of those jobs where the "glamour" outweighs the wages - hope they get a fair wage without the need for industrial action

We fly out on the 10th and return on the 30th Oct - don't mind getting stuck out there (after all the schools already fining me £100 for taking DS12 out for 10 days - so another £50 wont hurt) but will really have a hissy fit and throw my toys out of the pram if it happens on the outbound flight ...................... that said, can understand the crews view, appears to be one of those jobs where the "glamour" outweighs the wages - hope they get a fair wage without the need for industrial action

We also fly out on the 10th Oct, all I can say is lucky they can strike, or least have the option to say such and make their feelings known.

Claire ;)

We fly out Oct 12, I hope...... That said I have to agree with the above posts hoping that VA staff get a fair resolution to their issues.

OMG I had NO idea !!!!!!

we fly the 11th and we can only pray that they get it sorted !!!

we have a meal booked that night, that I sooooooooooooo dont want to miss. and a character meal on the first day ( making use of waking up early 1 ;) love that jet lag ! )

please keep us updated !

and we fly out on the 26th oct for a wedding, so i'm hoping that we will get there

Just subscribing to this thread - we go 13th - I soooo hope they dont strike:sad:

My itinary is really tight already without losing any more hours or days

Having contacts with various BA cabin crew, I can certainly sympathise with Virgin's flight and cabin crew, as airline management seem hell-bent at the moment on squeezing more and more out of their most important asset, with less in return, and cutbacks in staff, routes and benefits. Some of these management teams should really be ashamed of themselves, as they are the first to put their own wages up and yet demand more of the staff who keep them in jobs :mad: It's obviously no comfort to passengers caught up in potential strike action, but I do believe there is a very real basis for industrial action at the moment.

It's exactly the same in the banking industry (and undoubtedly many others). Those of us on the ground work our socks off for relatively little return whilst the shareholders and the big cheeses at the top enjoy all the fruits of our labour.

I was watching "How We Built Britain" a couple of days ago and it reminded us that, during the Middle Ages, we were all peasants serving the Lord of the Manor. I started to think that we've got it good these days (and, of course, we have in comparison), but, fundamentally, not much has changed.

Of course, I wouldn't want my holiday plans disrupted, but I do sympathise with the cabin crew (and middle management who are in an equally uneviable position) - on the whole they do a very good job in difficult circumstances. It certainly isn't the glamourous career it once was. Virgin invests millions in providing a first class product (refurbished planes, state-of-the-art clubhouses, IFE), but that needs to extend to an investment in its people. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

I think you need to look at the full package the Cabin Crew get, not just the basic.
they get a basic salary, plus flight pay, plus expenses for staying downroute, they get heavily discounted fares for them and their family, they also get "Mates rates" for their friends.

Some of the Senior Flight Managers are on up to £60,000 a year.

One of their major niggles is the removal of one post on some of the airbusses. This is something that has happened in other industries time and time again, with the rest of the teams having to pick up the slack.

This seems to be a situation where we are seeing the return to the militant days of the seventies, not just in the Airlines, but in the Post office, Trains and tubes and other Public industry sectors.

Winter of Discontent anyone??

What happens if they do strike?
Do we get compensation? just I have booked into Hard rock ( paid extra as this wasnt part of the virgin holiday)

Will we be VERY late flying out?

Will bags be bumped off ? Yikes !:scared1:

sorry thick questions, guess no one knows, just trying to think abit to ensure we are as prepared as can be.

There must be thousands of people who have booked 'holidays of a lifetime' who have this to worry about but lets face it there is always a worry with a big holiday (hurricanes/illness/terrorism/crime etc.) I'm another who hopes it doesn't happen and affect my holiday but lets face it those who work in the industry will take action if they feel hard done by.

As a pre-school worker who looks after under five's (allegedly our most valuable commodity) and whose staff earn the minimum wage even with the required 'A' levels and NVQs at the age of 30-40 and having given up careers such as banking when they had their families I find it very hard to pity others in a 'good job'. Equally I do know its hard to do any job and not feel appreciated, lets hope the bosses at Virgin (and others) pay a fair wage for a fair days work. Wouldn't life be easy if everyone did?

Having contacts with various BA cabin crew, I can certainly sympathise with Virgin's flight and cabin crew, as airline management seem hell-bent at the moment on squeezing more and more out of their most important asset, with less in return, and cutbacks in staff, routes and benefits. Some of these management teams should really be ashamed of themselves, as they are the first to put their own wages up and yet demand more of the staff who keep them in jobs :mad: It's obviously no comfort to passengers caught up in potential strike action, but I do believe there is a very real basis for industrial action at the moment.

No sorry i dont agree with you,if the cabin crew dont think they get a fair wage then yes they should take it up with their management teams but if they are still unhappy they should leave. NOT STRIKE. Why should i have my holiday spoilt. lets face it if they do strike it could reduce the amount of flights booked in the future and in turn less cabin crew so some could lose their jobs and no one wins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter