Latest Dog rules/regs

owners don't always know that it is happening. there are polite ways to tell them

Also true. We try and meet our neighbors and tell them to let us know if our dogs are causing a ruckus.

That being said, for repeat offenders or dogs that simply go on and on and on, the front desk should be notified.

we had to learn how to leave our dogs in our new camper... after a couple trips we learned which shades need to be closed. the tv is always on to drown out any noise of dogs walking outside.

Same here! We have 2 active border collies, and our camping routine at Disney consists of a good, tongue dragging romp in the a.m. (a tired dog is a good, QUIET dog!) and then giving them their breakfast stuffed inside a kong frozen the night before. Gives them something to "do" for a while, so they're not just bored and deciding barking is a fun way to pass the time. They get safe chew toys also. Our dogs are crated in the camper (safer for everyone in our case) we pull the blinds so they can't see out, turn on the fan or A/C for white noise, and leave the TV on. Seriously, my dogs watch TV. :lmao:

We do test runs the first day or so to see if everyone is ok before we know they're solidly into the new routine. We'll pop out for an hour, and sneak back... you get the idea. Three 2 week trips so far (3 weeks coming up in 7 days!!! :banana: ), and no problems or complaints. Actually last year our smoke detector went wonky and a neighbor called my cell to let us know (we have a pet sticker on the door with my cell # on it). The thing was beeping and he was poking all around the camper to see if anything was actually wrong. Neither dog ever made a peep! Hmm... now I'm not so sure that's a good thing. :rotfl2:

Point is that some people seem to thinking camping with their dog is a good idea (which of course it is!) but don't really put much thought into what their dog's day is going to be like while they're out park hopping. And if their dog isn't used to traveling (or being leashed much of the time), it's more likely to not be a good thing.

Thankfully our dogs spend about 1/3 of their lives in the car/camper and are old pros at this point. And it doesn't take a ton of extra work on our part to make sure their vacation is fun too. paw: paw:

Seeing dogs tied up really upsets me..... you see.....our newest pup Callie was rescued and had also endured the same kind of abuse...... I found out that her pervious owners also tied her to a tree for a full year! Then they moved out of the house and left her there to die! WEll, she chewed the rope and eventually escaped......We heard the story about her on the internet (the French Bulldog rescue Website) and were so saddened by the abuse that we decided to adopt her and give her a new life......so we rescued her back in SEptember! Jim drove 18 hours to Texas from Florida to pick her up!

What a nice story. I am glad there are people like you guys out there. :thumbsup2

Very well said. if you don't like something, you need to say something.

i don't think it will be a big deal for most dog families. but, i am sure there will be 10-20% that will bark when their owners are gone. owners don't always know that it is happening. there are polite ways to tell them with out having to go through the front desk.

we had to learn how to leave our dogs in our new camper. we discovered they could see out the front window and they would go on the couch to look out the side window. so, after a couple trips we learned which shades need to be closed. the tv is always on to drown out any noise of dogs walking outside.

like i said some folks just don't realize it and maybe a person needs to tell them (in a polite way) so they can figure out what they need to do.

I agree completely.

We had to learn the same thing with our dog. Turn on music or the tv and keep the shades down.

I have a rescued baby who is a BIG cry baby. After living in a very abusive situation she has become very dependent on me.... nice to be loved!!! BUT she cries when I'm out of her sight even at home at times...I'll let her out into the back yard to play and if she thinks I'm gone she goes nuts...like when I go to the mailbox...work in the front yard or on my car....doesn't matter if she has a full belly and has been playing games prior to her being kenneled....I'm worried she is going to disturb others on our trip to WDW.. I've tried her in and out of the kennel in the TT....doesn't matter...she cries! suggestions...and don't suggest a sitter...tried that too...she was even more unhappy and didn't eat! I'm really puzzeled on this one!!! She does eventually quiet....just takes a bit..

goingtoseethemouse

goingtoseethemouse

goingtoseethemouse

I thought you all wouldn't mind if I showed off Callie! She is the one in the lobster costume! Did I mention that Callie won 3rd place in the Fort Wilderness Halloween Pet Costume contest?!! I am one proud momma! :cheer2:
You know...just a couple months ago she was being abused....and now.... she is the queen of the Fort (WEll...3rd place aint' bad!) ShhHH dont tell her it was 3rd place in a costume contest though...she thinks she won a beauty pagent:cutie: !

WE will be at the fort next week! Stop by and say hi to the puppies- and us of course! Love meeting other animal lovers! :love:

I have a rescued baby who is a BIG cry baby. After living in a very abusive situation she has become very dependent on me.... nice to be loved!!! BUT she cries when I'm out of her sight even at home at times...I'll let her out into the back yard to play and if she thinks I'm gone she goes nuts...like when I go to the mailbox...work in the front yard or on my car....doesn't matter if she has a full belly and has been playing games prior to her being kenneled....I'm worried she is going to disturb others on our trip to WDW.. I've tried her in and out of the kennel in the TT....doesn't matter...she cries! suggestions...and don't suggest a sitter...tried that too...she was even more unhappy and didn't eat! I'm really puzzeled on this one!!! She does eventually quiet....just takes a bit..

Put a radio outside the TT, so not to bother the dog,
crank that radio up loud enough and no one will hear her. :rotfl2:

Goingtothemouse, awesome pictures! How old is Angler? The golden. He looks alot like my Maggie even his nose! Maggie is 2. How good does the outdoor kennel work? Are the really worth it? I'm think she might knock it over and get loose. She is on a leash everytime we go camping when she is ouside. I know at Disney they have the play area which is a blessing so she can get out and actual run!
Cindy

Does your pup have a crate ? Our pup actually stayed in one from when we got her till 1 and a half years old. She had separation anxiety also. We called it "her room" it was actually a place where she felt safe when we weren't home and sometimes she would even just go in there to sleep. One thing when using a crate never use it as punishment, make it their safe place. Also the metal open ones are recommended over the plastic more closed ones.

goingtoseethemouse

goingtoseethemouse

goingtoseethemouse

I thought you all wouldn't mind if I showed off Callie! She is the one in the lobster costume! Did I mention that Callie won 3rd place in the Fort Wilderness Halloween Pet Costume contest?!! I am one proud momma! :cheer2:
You know...just a couple months ago she was being abused....and now.... she is the queen of the Fort (WEll...3rd place aint' bad!) ShhHH dont tell her it was 3rd place in a costume contest though...she thinks she won a beauty pagent:cutie: !

WE will be at the fort next week! Stop by and say hi to the puppies- and us of course! Love meeting other animal lovers! :love:

Thanks for sharing the photo's of Callie...if I see you and Callie I'll be sure top say "Hi." :)

I've tried her in and out of the kennel in the TT....doesn't matter...she cries! suggestions...and don't suggest a sitter...tried that too...she was even more unhappy and didn't eat! I'm really puzzeled on this one!!! She does eventually quiet....just takes a bit..

Separation anxiety is a REALLY tough issue to deal with and there aren't any easy fixes. You might want to try and find a good animal behaviorist/trainer that can walk you through a good protocol that would help her (and you) out greatly in the long haul. You might want to check this book out to point you in the right direction... http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=dtb687

As for camping... if she really will settle eventually, instead of feeding her before you leave, try stuffing her meals inside a kong type toy and give it to her on your way out the door. The hope would be that she is more concerned about eating than you leaving, and by the time she realizes you're gone she might be ok.

If her SA is more severe, unfortunately that probably won't do the trick. If that's the case, I'd probably recommending running the fan or A/C and a TV/radio. It might help her a bit, and moreover it will help mask some of the whining from your neighbors.

If you try the kong route, I'd actually practice it at home before you try it in the TT to see if it's even going to work, and to get her used to a change in her routine. My dogs are SO routine-driven, and we find it so much easier to get them to accept the change in their normal routine on vacation, if we kind of ease them into things at home. With our younger dog, I start giving her a little crate time during the day (even though I'm home) just to get her used to the fact that she'll be in there more at FW than she's used to. She gets chew toys and the TV when she's in there, so it's not a big deal for her at all.

If your dog is not super keen on the kong to start with, you can try mixing a little "extra" in with her regular meal before you stuff it in - a little bit of cheese or peanut butter, liver (yuck - but dogs love it)... something that would entice her to check it out.

Our dogs eat kibble with a bit of yogurt and canned mixed in, and when we're at FW we mix their breakfast up the night before and freeze it. Gives them at least a couple of hours of something to do to pass the time.

Good luck! paw:

Interpretation of "dog speak"....

Bark bark bark bark bark HOWWWWLLLLL!!

"I want to be with YOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!"

Believe it or not, my little girl kittie hollers at the door when I go to get the mail or go to the garage, or leave to go to work. Kitties cry too....just not as vocal as our canine friends. I can't stand to hear a dog whine or howl. It breaks my heart.

We had a neighbor that had a staffordshire terrier that was petrified of thunderstorms. When we had a storm & I knew Bosha's mom & dad were gone, I'd go over and sit out the storm with her. I'd never seen a dog shake so violently before!

When we had a storm & I knew Bosha's mom & dad were gone, I'd go over and sit out the storm with her. I'd never seen a dog shake so violently before!

Aw, that was so nice of you! :hug:

Thunderphobia can be as bad or worse than separation anxiety. My inlaws old collie mix broke through almost every window in the house at some point. Once we were there during a storm and he crawled behind me on the couch and I just leaned on him while the poor thing shook like a leaf.

The only good thing about it is that it's isolated to just during storms, where SA is 24/7... and we all have to leave the house sometime. The rescue group I volunteer with has a foster dog now with absolutely HORRID SA. It was so bad at first that her foster mom couldn't even leave her sight for a second and she'd whip herself into a frenzy and spin and bark nonstop.

Her foster mom has been doing a ton of work with her and with the vet behaviorists at Tufts in MA, and she's come a LONG way, but there's still a lot further to go. We've been trying hard to find her a home where someone is home all of the time or can take her with them, and who is willing to keep up with the protocols that have been working for her, but as you can imagine that's really hard.

Sorry... didn't mean to turn this thread into Dog Behavior 101. :rolleyes1

Believe it or not, my little girl kittie hollers at the door when I go to get the mail or go to the garage, or leave to go to work. Kitties cry too....just not as vocal as our canine friends.

Our kitty that we just lost meowed all the time. He would be waiting for me with his front paws up on the window sill meowing his head off when I came home. He'd meow to let me know he wanted water from the sink or tub. He'd meow a funny meow when he was bringing one of his mice my way for me to throw to him. He was very talkative. He would also let out this pittiful meow when we were going out the door. Like, please don't go!
It is so quiet at our house now. :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

BTW- what a nice thing for you to do for your neighbor's dog. One of our dogs usually shakes during the first few but then she is fine unless it is really bad.

BTW- what a nice thing for you to do for your neighbor's dog. One of our dogs usually shakes during the first few but then she is fine unless it is really bad.

Thanks. I'm a wuss when it comes to animals. I know they understand more than we humans give them credit for...but...I'm still a wuss. The one and only time I ever hit and killed an animal on the highway was a raccoon. I literally wailed and sobbed for an hour or so and prayed there were no babies that were orphaned by the demise of the one I hit.

Goingtothemouse, awesome pictures! How old is Angler? The golden. He looks alot like my Maggie even his nose! Maggie is 2. How good does the outdoor kennel work? Are the really worth it? I'm think she might knock it over and get loose. She is on a leash everytime we go camping when she is ouside. I know at Disney they have the play area which is a blessing so she can get out and actual run!
Cindy

The outdoor fencing is AWESOME! It gives my pups a chance to watch all of he action. In the picture, only 2 sets have beem joined to make a yard. But for this trip (leaving today) we are bringing 4 sets. Never had a problem with the dogs knocking it over- even when they play rough! WE let them in it only when we are out hanging out though......

Angler is a 5 year old Golden. We like to keep her fur trim- less shedding. Plus it gets hot down here in South Florida.

We took our rat terrier with us to WDW in 2007 for the first time. He is crate trained and is a good dog. We had a pop-up and paid to be in a pet loop. He slept in the camper at night. In the morning, we would sit around and have coffee and would have him on a lead so he could explore (while we were there), then he got a walk and then off to the kennel for the rest of the day. It was very hot and so by the time we got him to the kennel (10:00-11:00 each morning), he was ready for the A/C. We would then visit him 4-5 hrs later to walk and feed him.

The kennel closed at 9:00 each night, however, so if we needed to take a shower or leave him for a short time, we always put him in his crate with the fans going ... for both coolness and the "white noise." We also would leave a note on the camper with our cell number in case he started barking. But this was just in the late evening and for a short time ... never had a problem.

We considered taking him again, but because of the additional cost for the pet loop and the kennel (additional $500!!!), decided to leave him home with my college-aged daughter. We'll miss him, but have come to realize that the disruption to his routine is more stressful than us being gone.

We sometimes take our dog to Disney in our popup camper but we take him to the kennel when we're gone. It would never occur to me to leave him alone at the campground, I would be too afraid something would happen or he would be dog napped ~grin~, or what if the A/C quit? Plus-I wouldn't be able to stop and see him during the day while we're at the parks.

He's not a barker but we had already planned in advance to put him in the tow vehicle (camper van) if he did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter