• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Late rent payment?

Disneylover79

<font color=darkorchid>I'm a cheap date!<br><font
DBF and I rent a condo (we have been here for almost 5 years and have always been on time with rent)...so now that DBF is out of work we are running short on money..so what do I say to my landlord (who is BTW very nice and has always let us live here as though it is our house and has always said just be up front with me)...she knows DBF is out of work..so how do I tell her to not cash my check until my next payday...should I email or call?

Thanks

I would call. It's not good to get bad news via email. In the phone call, you can explain when you expect to have the rent as well as your plans for paying rent going forward. It needs to be a dialogue, which can't happen very well via email.

We are landlords and I would appreciate a phone call AND if you are good renters I would certainly try to help you out. We had a renter that couldn't work for 3 months because of a knee injury and we let him stay there because he was a good renter (he shared the house with his brother). He doesn't live there any longer but still goes over and shovels snow and cuts the grass because we were so nice to him :lmao:.

We are landlords and I would appreciate a phone call AND if you are good renters I would certainly try to help you out. We had a renter that couldn't work for 3 months because of a knee injury and we let him stay there because he was a good renter (he shared the house with his brother). He doesn't live there any longer but still goes over and shovels snow and cuts the grass because we were so nice to him :lmao:.

I agree. We have a rental house and know that good tenants are hard to find and are worth keeping. We would definitely help a good tenant out if they were having financial difficulty.

Yes as a former landlord- please call. They may be depending on the $$ and anxious to cash it. I never had an issue with my tenant paying late as long as he gave me a heads up about it.

Yes as a former landlord- please call. They may be depending on the $$ and anxious to cash it. I never had an issue with my tenant paying late as long as he gave me a heads up about it.

My landlord is the same way. We've lived here for 5 years and this is the FIRST time EVER we've been super late on rent. Paid her $300 last Friday and will give her the rest plus late fee this Friday. She was SUPER about it though. She left it up to us what we wanted to pay, and I of course left it up to DH.

I have several rentals and understand the economy is bad.When one of my tenants are late I ask them please let me know,honesty is the best policy in my eyes.I'm lucky enough too own said propertys and almost eveyone has had problems paying.So I made them sign A two week payment,makes it alot easyier on me.All of them have at onetime or another asked if they could do some kinda work or repair to pay there rent.
Well DW and I are softy's and let them do this.I gotta say they put in alot of effort in the work too pay off there rent.I don't mind helping people that want to help there selves.My rentals look better now then ever before!!

Look at it in A landlords eye,most have A payment to make on said property.So if they are nice they may let you work it off like I said,just let them know ahead of time.

Sidenote-When people have rentals they are not rich and don't make much money renting.They are trying to pay the loan on the property.I am just lucky I owm mine..hope this helps with how to deal with landlords

We had to do that a few years ago when DH lost his job. I either called or spoke to the LL face-to-face when he stopped by. I offered to split a month in two payments and agreed to pay the late fee he would be charged by his bank. (IIRC) He was a super nice guy and I was very sad when he sold the place. The new owners just didn't "get it", in terms of mechanicals and such of the property.

I would call, that is the best way to break the news to her. Our landlord also let us know up front that our deposit (first and last months rent, plus pet deposit) was in the bank and untouched in case of any kind of problem like that, she could fall back on it in an emergency. There have been a couple times when we've had to do that, getting new checking accounts with bad timing on our part, and a few times when we've gone to Kansas City and mailed the rent from there, its gone to the wrong place, like somehow came back from military mail overseas, with the miltary and overseas stamping on it and everything. Because we called to check on things and let her know that it was mailed from a different place, and might be late, she has been very understanding.

Yeah, definitely just give them a head's up that it's going to be late. The one time I had to pay late here, in my current apartment, they were SO nice about it (especially since I'd never been late before). I think as long as the landlord knows what's going on and isn't just sitting there waiting for a check that doesn't show up when it's supposed to, they're usually pretty accommodating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter