Late May, June, or July?

freckles04

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about a week-long summer trip. DS's summer vacation will be May 23 - August 1. If you had to choose out of that timeframe, which week would you go and why?

(Also, I see that room discounts have been offered during summer historically, but are there ever any blackout dates to watch out for? That info is not included on MouseSavers! Thanks!)

Definitely late May. It's hot but not miserable yet and lots of schools are still in session so crowds aren't as bad.

kastoney said:
Definitely late May. It's hot but not miserable yet and lots of schools are still in session so crowds aren't as bad.
Definately!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I vote May! A little less crowded, and a little less hot! I've been during all 3 months, and it's never a bad time to be in Disney!

Just something to keep in mind, but I believe Gay Days are usually in and around that last week in May and first week in June. This is just something to consider depending on your view of things.
We have been the first week of June and the first week of August. Hot on both, equally crowded on both, but from what I have read they are both better than the time in between due to the crowds going through the roof.
Star Wars weekends are typically going on in May, and we actually caught the last weekend on our June visit, this may be something your child is into, so it can be an added bonus to consider.

Late May is good, it's hot but not as hot as late June through July. I'm from New York and schools here (and in other states around here) don't close until mid-late June, so there should be less crowds. Memorial day weekend can get crowded, but the rest of the week shouldn't be too bad!

DGF and I went late May this year. It wasn't too hot and the crowds were only bad for 24 hour MK. You do run into star wars weekend if you're into that.

I don't know what people consider "not too hot", but we went the last week of may/first two weeks of June in 2011 and the heat indexes were 105+. It was high 90s with I don't even know how much humidity. We were prepared for the heat, but not that kind of heat. We drank a lot of water, tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible, and took afternoon breaks. Still had fun and really enjoyed Star Wars Weekends.

opt for the first week of June if I had the flexibility. Memorial Day is the 26th next year so the last week of May will probably be a little heavier than the first week of June. A number of Southern school systems get out before Memorial Day and parents take advantage of the day off (and usually lower crowds and better room discounts). Our kids go only a half day on the 23rd of May.

I don't know what people consider "not too hot", but we went the last week of may/first two weeks of June in 2011 and the heat indexes were 105+. It was high 90s with I don't even know how much humidity. We were prepared for the heat, but not that kind of heat. We drank a lot of water, tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible, and took afternoon breaks. Still had fun and really enjoyed Star Wars Weekends.

:)

It is hot! It is hotter in July.

I was shocked at how hot it was in mid-late October. That sun is intense then too.

We have been end of May and the end of June and honestly to us it is just as hot and crowded at both times.

I think Star Wars weekend would be a consideration. Would you like to attend this event? Then, I would go the last week of May.

Do you want to go during 4th of July week? There are special fireworks.

In my opinion, it is crowded this time of year because of summer school breaks. There is not a time in the range you specified that is not crowded. So I feel this is not a factor in your decision. Other than the 4th of July, which will be extra busy.

Good luck and Happy Planning :)

I would go late May/early June. We are going from June 7-21 and it is later in the summer than I want to go...but we have no choice:faint:
It will get hotter, more humid and more crowded the farther into summer you go:scared:

Definitely late May. For most of the country, schools are still in session, and the crowds at WDW will be low compared to the other two options. Plus it will be a little cooler - June and July will definitely be hotter and more humid!

I always recommend checking a crowd calendar. Waiting for Josh's recommendations (www.easywdw.com) but Touring Plans (www.touringplans.com) are currently available. Both the end of May or the first week in June have mostly 5-7 crowd numbers except Memorial Day which is a 8. I am going the first week in June but getting out of there before Gay Days/Star Wars weekend June 6-8. Not expecting terrible crowds...

I know it seems impossible to believe but it gets worse. Much worse, lol.

My vote is late May as well - if DS is out of school May 23, I'd plan on May 24. :thumbsup2 Star Wars is the only big event you have to work around & since that is limited to the weekends we found it highly doable to see everything we needed to & not get tied up in those crowds. (not SW fans)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter