Late June/early July visit - how crowded?

esc38372

Mouseketeer
We are planning a last-minute trip to DLR. We are thinking about buying DAPs and entering DLR on Saturday 6/30 (a DAP blackout day, but should be okay for us since it would be our first day, right?)

We would stay at DLR through Monday, 7/2. We could possibly stay through Tuesday, 7/3, but I'm worried about the increasing crowds as we approach 4th of July. Or am I wrong and it will be the same crowd level that whole week? (Will Saturday 6/30 be less crowded than the other days because it's a DAP blackout day?)

How early will we need to get the park (we won't have early entry, but we will be staying nearby)?

Any thoughts/tips for our trip? We have two princess-loving DDs who are not huge Cars fans and who avoid roller-coaster-type rides. Their favorite ride is Peter Pan.

Thanks in advance!

We are planning a last-minute trip to DLR. We are thinking about buying DAPs and entering DLR on Saturday 6/30 (a DAP blackout day, but should be okay for us since it would be our first day, right?)

Are you buying a hopper, then upgrading to DAP when you are there? If so, then this will work. However, if you are buying DAP vouchers in advance (like though discount tickets and tours that are still $90 lower than gate price for another week maybe) the I am not sure that is the case. I believe not.

With the 4th being Wednesday, I suspect you are going those days becasue with 2 days of vacation, you get 5 day weekend.. (Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue/4th). Hint, if you are doing that, odds are, LOTS of people are doing that.

I would expect VERY large crowds.

Are you buying a hopper, then upgrading to DAP when you are there? If so, then this will work. However, if you are buying DAP vouchers in advance (like though discount tickets and tours that are still $90 lower than gate price for another week maybe) the I am not sure that is the case. I believe not.

With the 4th being Wednesday, I suspect you are going those days becasue with 2 days of vacation, you get 5 day weekend.. (Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue/4th). Hint, if you are doing that, odds are, LOTS of people are doing that.

I would expect VERY large crowds.

I was going to buy the DAP vouchers in advance. I thought I read here on the DIS that you can use the first day of an AP on a blackout day.

Yes, I'm guessing very large crowds too--just thought I would check and get some input--thank you for yours!

Saturday (as a weekend day) will probably be pretty crowded. Add in Carsland and the fact that crowds have already been higher than expected this year, and you may need to plan for some wait time in the parks. On past trips in late June/early July, the parks were not too terrible in the early days of the week, but I do not really know what this year may bring.

I was going to buy the DAP vouchers in advance. I thought I read here on the DIS that you can use the first day of an AP on a blackout day.

The way I have done it, and seen it described, is if you are upgrading a hopper. I have bought a hopper, used the hopper to get in on what would be a blockout day, then after that blockout day, convert the hopper into a DAP. They backdate the AP to the date the hopper was first used, but don't do anything about that fay you used the hopper having been blocked out for the AP you are buying.

I have never bought a DAP voucher in advance, nor heard if it can be converted from voucher to AP on a blockout day, and still gain admission to the park on that day.

Again, I have no info, but it seems to me that would not work.

The hopper is valid admission and is not blocked out, so you can use it, then convert it to AP after.

The voucher is not valid admission, so has to be converted. The instant it is converted into an AP, it is blocked out.

I hope someone with more solid info on this can give you a more solid answer than my "I have not heard that it works, and it seems to me that it would not."

Yes, I'm guessing very large crowds too--just thought I would check and get some input--thank you for yours!

This DOES, in fact, work. However, the strategy that dshimel is describing would allow you to have a Magic Morning from the hopper...THEN upgrade to the DAP and you're good.

On the other hand, if you get an AP right away on the 30th and you have Internet access at your hotel, you would be allowed to sign up for AP Early Entry at DCA on the 3rd. Sign ups for APEE must be at least 3 days in advance and space could potentially fill up, so this is more of a risk, but possible...

I am wondering about the crowds during this time too. We're celebrating my husband's 30th birthday on June 28th, so we were going to go to DL from the 28th to the 3rd, in hopes to get out of there before July 4th. I know the crowds will be high due to the opening of things, but I am hoping not capacity level high. I'll be watching this thread for answers as well! :)

The 28th is the last day for 2 months, that SoCal APs can get in. Having been to the parks on this "last day" situation in the past, all I can say is, expect crowds, especially in the evening.

The 29th, Friday should be much better. Saturday is likely to be bad. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday may be bad. I just do not know how many people will take M and T and make it a 5-day weekend. Could be pretty bad.

I went on the 4th a few years back, and I will never, ever, ever do that again. It was a Thursday. It was PACKED. After fireworks, it took 2 hours to get out of the park, to the car in the M&F garage, then out of the garage and onto the freeway.

This DOES, in fact, work. However, the strategy that dshimel is describing would allow you to have a Magic Morning from the hopper...THEN upgrade to the DAP and you're good.

On the other hand, if you get an AP right away on the 30th and you have Internet access at your hotel, you would be allowed to sign up for AP Early Entry at DCA on the 3rd. Sign ups for APEE must be at least 3 days in advance and space could potentially fill up, so this is more of a risk, but possible...

The issue is, that through discount tickets and tours, you can still get the DAP vouchers at the old prices, $90 below gate. If they get hoppers, use the early entry, then upgrade, they will have to pay $90 more per DAP than buying the DAPs now.

I'm also going to be in Disneyland during this period (june 28th to july 5th) so I'm curious about crowds as well....scratch that crowds don't bother me but my mom isn't a fan of crowds (however we got to WDW during every major holiday so she is obviously tolerant of crowds:confused3) which is why we planned so many days at the park she wanted to take a relaxing pace during....4th of july week.... and shortly after cars land opening:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: needless to say I'm planning for heavy crowds but on the plus side I'll be at Disneyland far far away from my house in Florida on a nice long vacation:thumbsup2

We will be there from June 19-June 26. We have a 2 day park hopper and are planning to do Disney the 20th and 25th. Hopefully those will be the best days to visit during the time we are there. We made our lunch reservations last week at the Blue Bayou on the 20th and at Carthay Circle the 25th. The times were wide open. I'm not sure where people are eating but, it doesn't appear that they are making reservations. Not yet anyhow!

Just from experience, seeing as how I go to DL all the time during the summer is that it is CROWDED and I mean really, really crowded in late June/early July up until the start of the school year here. There are a few things to remember: not only is Carsland going to be opening, but the Monorail Bobsleds which have been down for about six months now for repair and renovating will be working and I am 10000% positive people are going to be hightailing it for that ride because of the changes.

The majority of the lines are going to be longer than 40+ minutes, I actually know all the really popular rides during the summer, (besides the water rides) that will probably have super long lines.

I would say to get there at Rope Drop, but that may not really help any unless you want to run full force to the FP area or the line so you can experience it. (I personally would high tail it the the bobsleds because that ride is SO AWESOME.)

We're going to be doing Disneyland from June 24-30 and it'll be our first visit. I know it's going to be very crowded, but we will get 5 solid days in the parks and about 2 half days. What rides should we hit first to avoid crazy crowds? When should we use our one MM day while we're there?

We'd like to be more relaxed, but I realize we'll need at least a bit of strategy, especially with Carsland, E-ticket rides, and slow loaders.

We're going to be doing Disneyland from June 24-30 and it'll be our first visit. I know it's going to be very crowded, but we will get 5 solid days in the parks and about 2 half days. What rides should we hit first to avoid crazy crowds? When should we use our one MM day while we're there?

We'd like to be more relaxed, but I realize we'll need at least a bit of strategy, especially with Carsland, E-ticket rides, and slow loaders.

Who are you going with? Are you going with children? Are there any kinds of rides that you or whoever you are going with are not fans of?

The most popular rides I have found tend to be: Peter Pan's Flight (I love this ride even though I am an adult, it's one of my favorites), It's a Small World, PoTC, Matterhorn Bobsleds (it will be open when you are there, and since it's been closed so long a lot of people will want to ride that ride, I suggest you stop there first maybe), Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones (it also breaks down often, so I suggest maybe using a FP for this ride especially!), and Space Mountain. I also would count on Star Tours being crowded too. A lot of these rides are somewhat close together except for Indiana Jones which is on the opposite side of the park. Fantasyland isn't too far from Tomorrowland.

With DCA I suggest you try to hit California Screamin' Mickey's Fun Wheel, (Love that ride so much), ToT or TSM (unless you have no interest in going on it). You may have an easier time getting on some of the rides since Carsland is where a lot of people may congregate too. So maybe try to hit that place first, then go to the other rides. Since I haven't been to Cars Land yet (since it hasn't opened) I have found that the rides I have mentioned have a huge wait along with that Ariel ride. Since DCA is a bit of a smaller park, the lines tend to be longer imo compared to DL, but they may be the same during the summer.

This is all just my opinion though!

I would imagine since it sounds like it will be crazy leading up to the 4th due to people taking the extra two days doing so after would be just as popular, right? We're going 7/8 and 7/9 and I'm wondering if we will even be able to do the matterhorn (my favourite ride) and carsland rides twice :lmao:

You may be able to do the Matterhorn bobsleds once, it depends. Sometimes the park isn't as crowded, but I believe July is one of the peak months for Disney so it's going to be crowded no matter what. I don't think doing Cars Land twice is unlikely since you will be there for a week! Just get there at rope drop, since Bobsleds do not have a FP I believe the right sided line for the Bobsleds goes faster than the left! but I am not sure if that's true anymore. (I haven't been on the bobsleds in awhile sadly)

During off season I know going Tuesday-Thursday is the best time to go. =)

Who are you going with? Are you going with children? Are there any kinds of rides that you or whoever you are going with are not fans of?

The most popular rides I have found tend to be: Peter Pan's Flight (I love this ride even though I am an adult, it's one of my favorites), It's a Small World, PoTC, Matterhorn Bobsleds (it will be open when you are there, and since it's been closed so long a lot of people will want to ride that ride, I suggest you stop there first maybe), Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones (it also breaks down often, so I suggest maybe using a FP for this ride especially!), and Space Mountain. I also would count on Star Tours being crowded too. A lot of these rides are somewhat close together except for Indiana Jones which is on the opposite side of the park. Fantasyland isn't too far from Tomorrowland.

With DCA I suggest you try to hit California Screamin' Mickey's Fun Wheel, (Love that ride so much), ToT or TSM (unless you have no interest in going on it). You may have an easier time getting on some of the rides since Carsland is where a lot of people may congregate too. So maybe try to hit that place first, then go to the other rides. Since I haven't been to Cars Land yet (since it hasn't opened) I have found that the rides I have mentioned have a huge wait along with that Ariel ride. Since DCA is a bit of a smaller park, the lines tend to be longer imo compared to DL, but they may be the same during the summer.

This is all just my opinion though!

It's my mom and I. She's in her mid-50's and did WDW with me last year for a week like a trooper. We'd like to try everything at least once if possible. We've done Star Tours, Soarin', ToT, TSM, PPF, PoTC, Splash, IASW at WDW, but I realize there are some differences in rides. Plus, we enjoy them so we'd want to do them again anyways! We're going to try for Rope Drop most days (minus our one day we're doing Chef Goofy's) and will try to get fastpasses first thing and hit the big attractions first. Hopefully that'll work.

For some reason, if Carsland is like the WWOHP opening in Florida, the rest of the park will be a cake walk. I went to WWOHP 3 days after it opened and that part was packed and had staggered entry, but the rest of the park was 20 mins or less waits. However, I realize that this will be the time the SoCal pass people will be trying to get in their last visits before their passes are blacked out.

Thanks for all of your input. DH and I are trying to figure out if we will be miserable in the crowds or if we will be okay as long as we get there early each day, are expecting long lines (although we will most likely skip all the thrill & water rides--DDs are mostly interested in princesses and fairies) and just enjoy the fireworks and other entertainment.

Or maybe we will steer clear of DLR that week and plan a later trip.

I know that Veteran's Day weekend is supposed to be busy--will the crowds be horrible if we go to DLR a few days before (Thurs/Fri/Sat - 11/8-11/10)? Would the beginning of Thanksgiving week (11/18-11/20) be any better? Or are all of these dates going to be just as bad as a pre-4th-of-July trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter