• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Late July - are we insane????

100AcreMom

Disney Addict
We are considering a trip the last week of July. We have always gone off-season, although last October certaintly felt like peak time. Are we out of our minds? Is late July better than mid-June? I know that lots of people go in the summer and love it - I just don't know if we are those people. Any advice?

We will be there in mid to late July as we have been pretty much every year for the last 6 years. My wife is a teacher and that just works well for us.

It will be hot and humid, there will be some rain, but it is still Disney :earsboy:

Well if you're insane, then I've gone over the fence too... oh wait... forget that... too many people think I'm crazy already...:lmao:

Oh well, seriously though... we enjoy traveling in late July/early Aug as opposed to off season. The crowds may be greater but the hours are extended, there are more activities available, and extra cars are added to monorails/rides/ect to accomodate peak attendance. Those extra hours make it so much easier to take a break in the middle of the day and go back into a park later in the evening to enjoy a few less crowded and more relaxed hours vs trying to jam-pack all your park excitement into shorter off-season daytime hours.

The DDs and I will be there then this year. You'll notice us easily, we'll be the folks your mother warned you about - relaxed looking tourists without a map or agenda making the most of a "lazy butt touring plan" with a focus on trading pins, swimming/lazing around SB, eating, watching crowds/sitting on benches, and splashing each other in the rain puddles until completely drenched.:cool1:

The heat and humidity would kill me - literally.. But if that's when you can go and that's when you want to go, why not?

Have a great time! :thumbsup2

we will be there in late July too.. end of summer school and before band camp starts.. the hours are long and you can go early morning.. leave when it gets hot and comeback for a full day at 4 pm when it cools dwn a bit. remember that MK is open to midnight or 1 am.. so lots to do in the cool of the night.. plus it is teen heaven.. sleep late , lazy around and then get a full day in til the wee hours of the morning..

We are going at the end of July too...I think we will be okay with the heat from So. California where it is way hot! and have been to Jamaica twice in July

We were there last year late July - early August. It was so horrible that we are going back at the same time this year :banana:

Count us in also for a late July / early Aug trip! Same time as our first trip 2 years ago and we had a blast! We had a good touring plan and coped with the heat. Best wishes on your decision!

We went on our first summer trip as a family in mid August 2007, then we went in mid June 2008 and also late July/early August 2008.

I remember before that August 2007 trip we were a bit nervous about the heat (and at that time our youngest was only 1)... But we were very pleasantly surprised that it was fine! HOT, yes, but totally doable. So we went back last June, and then on a very spur of the moment trip in July/Aug.

I don't think it's much different heat-wise from mid June to late July. It's all hot. lol And there's always that chance of summer thunderstorms.

You'll never know for sure until you do it yourself I think. You may go and say "never again" or you may go and say "this isn't so bad". :)

we're july/august people too. Yes, off season has it's benefits. But to me, having always gone as a kid in the summer, I just enjoy disney more in the summer. Its how it's supposed to be. Hot, sweaty, crowded. But it's Fun. :)

Thanks for the input! We have always travelled as supercommandos. Obviously, a trip in July will require a different mindset. :cool1:

I too work at a school so we often find ourselves at the "world" in late July. This summer we will be there the 3rd week of July. Like everybody said, just take it easy and you'll have a blast. Take time for a mid-day break. Our son is 8 so swim time is a must, and it's so good to be away from the parks during the worst part of the day. Of course we're from GA so we're used to the heat. Take advantage of the extended park hours and especially the evening EMHs. Be warned that AK is by far the hottest of the four parks. Something about the vegetation and layout makes it seem a lot hotter, but the AK has evening EMH also.

PS: Drink lots of water! We always bring a case from home and take advantage of the in room refrigerator.

I'd been Xmas-New Years, Memorial Day, June, July, Aug, and everything in-between. A crowded and hot day at the world still beats the pants off a day at work, IMO. Go for it!!

Lol,I think I might be insane too. Taking our first summer trip July 13th thru 18 and I'm gonna be 6 months preggo!:scared1:

count me IN for the july ppl...im a teacher and love the hustle and bustle:confused3

Be warned that AK is by far the hottest of the four parks. Something about the vegetation and layout makes it seem a lot hotter, but the AK has evening EMH also.

PS: Drink lots of water! We always bring a case from home and take advantage of the in room refrigerator.

yep//

we use the a/c strategy.. events in the morning wo a/c and then a/c for the heat of the day... each park has a/c parts..like doing soaring and behind the seeds etc during the day, hitting Hall of Presidents to cool off, or planning the Lion King show, Nemo or tough to be a bug when it is hot..

Lol,I think I might be insane too. Taking our first summer trip July 13th thru 18 and I'm gonna be 6 months preggo!:scared1:

been there , done that and bought DVC so I could rest in a seperate room.

Lol,I think I might be insane too. Taking our first summer trip July 13th thru 18 and I'm gonna be 6 months preggo!

We were there in May '01 when I was 7 months pregnant. I have never been so exhausted in my life! Take it real slow and drink LOTS of water.

Be warned that AK is by far the hottest of the four parks. Something about the vegetation and layout makes it seem a lot hotter, but the AK has evening EMH also.

It's the extra "rain forest humidity" they pump in - gotta love the WDW theming! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter