Late Flight after Cruise - Time Killers??

DutchsMommy

DIS Veteran
We'll be back from our Eastern on Dec 2nd 9am ish. Our flight is leaving MCO at 9:40pm. Anyone have any ideas for things to do? We won't have a car so either will have to rent one for the 12 or so hours we'll be in FL or take a shuttle/towncar to the airport and kill time there (not really my idea of fun). Does anyone know if the Hyatt at the airport offers day rooms? I was thinking maybe we could do Typhoon Lagoon but we'd have to rent a car and pay admission - it would be a pretty expensive day (but fun!!!).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Hyatt does offer day rooms. I've heard many DISers who check in when they have a later in the day cruise. They relax in the room or go swimming in the pool. There is also a great food court in the airport and lots of shopping as well.

We just hang at the Hyatt lobby and set up a laptop or portable DVD. Never knew they rented rooms, but why spend $100-$150 for a few hours?

We rented a car (very inexpensive from Budget) and spent the day in Downtown Disney. We were able to get lunch and walk around the shops. There was even a fabulous chalk art contest going on that day. Then we drove to the airport and returned the car. It was much cheaper than taking a towncar service.

We are planning to do the same thing, Budget rental and Downtown Disney before our 6pm flight. Sounds relaxing.

We're planning to check out Kennedy Space Center. Our flight doesn't leave until 8:45pm.

Thanks for the ideas. I think we'll take a trip to DD if I can get a good rental car rate. Whatever the rental cost is, I would imagine it would be cheaper than a day room at the Hyatt. We could even see a movie at DD I suppose. And try the famous Earl of Sandwich - which we havn't had the opportunity to visit yet.

magmom said:
We rented a car (very inexpensive from Budget) and spent the day in Downtown Disney. We were able to get lunch and walk around the shops. There was even a fabulous chalk art contest going on that day. Then we drove to the airport and returned the car. It was much cheaper than taking a towncar service.

We are arriving the day prior to our cruise in 2 weeks and staying at the Hyatt. I had considered Downtown Disney for the day so thanks for the tip about the rental car! I'll have to check that out.

A rental car won't cost you any more than Disney transfers for 2 people. You can rent the car at the port (arrange it in advance, the shuttle will be there to pick you up and take you to the rental place.) A small car is usually available for under $45, but remember to consider the number of passengers and amount of luggage you might have when thinking about your car. Of course, you need to add the cost of the tolls and gas. Transfers are $30 per person each way.

WIth the car, you can do the Space Center or Downtown Disney....or shopping. You could even choose to do one of the water parks for the day.

Without a car, you are pretty much limited to the Hyatt or the airport.

Laurajean1014 said:
We just hang at the Hyatt lobby and set up a laptop or portable DVD. Never knew they rented rooms, but why spend $100-$150 for a few hours?

They have 12 hours to kill. I can't imagine making my daughter sit in a hotel lobby for 12 hours. The 100.00 is a very reasonable price to me for not having to sit in a hotel lobby. We rented a car and went to Magic Kingdom for the day after one of our cruises.

You could rent a car and kill an hour or two at Ron Jons in Cocoa Beach. That would still leave you plenty of time to get to downtown Disney.

If it were us, we'd go to a park for the day. There's definitely more than enough time to enjoy something like that. The other things I'd think of doing would be a movie in DTD with some shopping and eating OR a water park.

Generally ...

... we're active sorts. SO we would get a car. In fact for our September sailing we have a whole day before and the whole day after the cruise as we jet at 7PM. So - we have a Minivan and a full size in our reservations - respectively at $33 and $40 inclusive of taxes and fees.

As for what we would do - in the past we have hit a part (lightly); gone shopping; and relaxed at a hotel (no room). BUT we would not hesitate to get a room if we needed it for comfort or rest - and we have not done the Space Port although I've wanted to do it several times - and not gotten to it yet. The weather just seemed too hot and or humid for me to want to do it when we had the chances.

Now... if we had unusual circumstances - like

We are getting a car from buget for about $40. Our SW flight is for 7:50 Pm, so we are going to Typhoon Lagoon for the day. TL closes at 5, which is a perfect time to head to MCO. It is a park, but cheaper than the "big" parks.

what i deciided to do is to just a extra day and go back to wdw and take an early am flight out the next day, then i'll be refreshed the next am when i get home instead of trying to find something to do when you have to get up at 6 am the last day of cruise to get breakfast and be off ship by 830, you wont have the added stress of finding something to do for the day and not really beiing able to enjoy that because you have to return rental car and get back to airport to get your flight the same day. so i vote for another day at wdw, yeah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter