late August?

mjc2003

DIS Veteran
I posted yesterday asking about the heat in last July...and now our work schedules are pushing a possible quick summer trip back to late August. We'd be looking around the 24th-29th, or something thereabouts. 4-5 days.

Anybody familiar with this time of year? Being the weekend before Labor Day, is it very crowded or are crowds "winding down"? It the heat tolerable, if you just do the parks early during the day and in the evening and spend the afternoons in air conditioning or in the pools, as others suggested for late July travel? Is this "Hurricane" season?

Any thoughts about late August travel would be helpful. Plan to call this morning to see about availability.

Thanks.

Yes it is hurricane season, and yes it will be hot.

That's all I know as we only do WDW from Oct-May. I'll be as usual "Up North" in MI, before heading back for school registration.

We have done that time period twice (mostly because my birthday and our anniversary both fall in that week). We didn't learn our lesson the first time, and did it again. NEVER again though!!! The heat was unbearable, and when it wasn't too hot, it was raining! I would not do that time of year ever again. The good thing is the crowds are low.

We're going from August 19th to 26th! We've never done this time of year either (always go in March). However, I got a great deal. Also I have family that have gone many times in late August and say it's fine (yes, it's hot, and yes it rains). The crowds are dwindling at this time from what I understand though.

We plan to do parks in the morning, head back to the hotel to swim in the afternoon and then do some more park touring in the evening!

We do the last week of August every year (we have been going 1-2 times a year since my oldest daughter,9, was 6 months old)..nice way to end the summer before school starts :)....As far as the heat, it is like walking on the sun hot..lol, but if you plan right you will be fine. Get out as early as you possibly can, stay in the parks for a few hours then head back to your resort and swim or rest...then head back out later in the day.
It will rain...everyday... sometimes a lot, sometimes a little and sometimes a REAL lot..lol, but normally doesn't last long. Bring ponchos and go with the flow :).
The crowds are low but because of the heat they are much crankier...another reason to get out of the parks mid day.
We go with 4 kids..this year they are 9,8,5,1 and have never had a problem, a meltdown or crabby kids, cause we plan and dont try to do everything. August can be done and you can have a GREAT time!

We have vacationed in the summer since 2008. Once in July and twice in August. We are going again in August. We love it. I honestly do not find it that much more humid than NYC in the summer.

The one thing we do is get there early and take a break about 1pm. I love the low crowds.

We went last year at this time and while it was hot, it wasn't that much worse than at home (we are from Toronto where it gets quite hot and humid in the summer). We don't have air conditioning so it didn't seem too bad to us since there are lots of air conditioned buildings to duck into (the attractions are air conditioned for the most part, too.

If you are badly affected by the heat, I would recommend a different time of year.

I
Anybody familiar with this time of year?

It the heat tolerable, if you just do the parks early during the day and in the evening and spend the afternoons in air conditioning or in the pools, as others suggested for late July travel? Is this "Hurricane" season?

Hurricane Season-June 1-Dec 1

The heat Starts in May, is bearable through June, from July through September it's darn right uncomfortable. Why visit the parks during this miserable time, we have no choice, the kids are out of school, so we make the best of it! The crowds IMO are still pretty bad in late Aug. After Labor day is when the crowds die down!

We do waterparks, they're a must. If and when we do the parks we come back at noon, swim, eat lunch, relax and head back out to the parks around 4:30-5pm. AM EMH come in handy for AK and DHS, you can get the parks done by 1pm!

The weather patterns have changed a bit so where we always had thunderstorms at 3:30pm and then back to sunshine by 5pm, not so predictable, especially right now many sections of Florida are in a drought!

We go every June and Aug and we still have a great time, and I'm sure so will you!

Thanks all for the responses. We basically cannot take another vacation this summer b/c of our work schedules, but my wife has to be in Orlando anyway for work at the end of August so this allows us to have a 4-5 day vacation...otherwise it's day trips and lots of sweating at home anyway....so I think we're going to suck it up and deal with the heat and go for it. Also, as if divine intervention, 2 WL's for our November trip came through today and one gives us back some points....so now we basically have enough points to do an August mini-trip without having to rent any points.

We did the end of August once about 8 yrs ago. I don't remember the heat being as bad as you all say:eek: now I am getting scared, because I convinced my Mom and Dad to go with us this Aug 23 - Sept 2nd. All My Mom keeps saying is, it better not be unbearable. She did go with us 8 yrs ago in Aug. I told her if the heat didn't stick with her to remember then it wasn't bad. I will not be telling her what is being said here:rotfl:
All I remember is having my son in just a T-shirt one day, and on another day we rented a boat at The Poly and it was HOT that day. Other then that I remember it not being any worst off then here in NJ.
We have done the mid of July 2x and I keep telling everyone it's not as bad as when I went in July. It was Freakin Hot then! I'll keep my fingers cross it isn't that bad and if it is I'll just hide from my Mom:lmao:

We have plans of going to the pool and using late nights, I think we will be fine:goodvibes.

Remember you are in Disney, I rather be hot in Disney, then at home :)

The week before Labor Day (last few days of August, first few of Sept, usually) is one of our " regular and usual" trips...

Yup, it's hot. If it were anywhere but Disney it would be unbearably hot. For some reason, at Disney it's totally bearable.

Crowds are way down. The parks may be even emptier post Labor Day, but they're definitely not crowded that last week of August.

All the tips already listed -- early mornings, evenings, slower pace, bringing ponchos for the inevitable (and welcome!) rain, using FPs, planning lots of pool time, etc. are really good advice!

But I think for us the real key is managing expectations. I expect to be hot. I expect to be sweaty. I bring extra t-shirts (one will NOT last the whole day) and I have lots of pool time in the plans...maybe that's why it doesn't seem to bother me so much at Disney. At home (Wash, DC area--built on a swamp and hot & humid as Disney!) the heat/humidity of August makes me truly miserable!

Have a GREAT time! Maybe we'll see you there (we're there 8/27-9/3)..

We went two years ago for the last week in August, and crowds were VERY low. They picked up the Friday of Labor Day weekend, but we were flying back on the Saturday.

The weather was actually NOT that hot for 5 of the 8 days were were there...a total fluke but nice.

This will be our 3rd year in a row going the last week of August. I find the heat isn't much different than in Boston during that time. It just doesn't cool down at night like it does in New England. The kids down south are back in school and all teachers up north aren't on vacation so low crowds compared to school vacation weeks. We feel it's the best time to go!

We've visited at that time on several occasions. It's not my first choice - sultry is not my preferred weather condition ;) - but we have a few birthdays around that time and sometimes you can't manage a trip any other time.

The crowds are moderate at worst. If free dining is offered, it can be busier.

The weather is a challenge, but pace yourself and you'll be okay. Keep your plans flexible, stay hydrated and dress for maximum comfort. Duck into the a/c when you need a cool break. Use the weather as an excuse to eat ice cream and Dole Whips! :lmao:

Yes it is hot, but we do like that time of year, but our girls love to swim so hot is fine.

Denise in MI

HOT HOT HOT

Hurricane season

Much lower crowds

In the past with free dining reservations were harder, not sure about this year.

We do a late August 1 year June/July the next so we can utilize AP's. We love both times of year, and the same rules apply, rope drop, pool relax in the afternoon, and back to the parks at night (or not if you had your fill for the day)

We've done several August trips (and planning one for 2012). We get to parks at opening, get out by lunch time and hit the pool or nap until dinner. On our last August trip on 2009 it only rained two out eight days. The heat really doesn't get to us. :)

Perhaps it was a fluke, but last year we went in August, at the end of the month, and it was cooler there than it was where we live in Pittsburgh, PA. We had high 90-95 degree weather all last summer, and Orlando was actually a lot more comfortable. We are going again this year at the same time, lines are short, and yes it's hot, but lots of rides are air conditioned and the pools at Disney are fabulous! :goodvibes

Perhaps it was a fluke, but last year we went in August, at the end of the month, and it was cooler there than it was where we live in Pittsburgh, PA. We had high 90-95 degree weather all last summer, and Orlando was actually a lot more comfortable. ! :goodvibes
I think a big part of it is the fact that we're on vacation, that's what makes it appear more tolerable! ;)

Perhaps it was a fluke, but last year we went in August, at the end of the month, and it was cooler there than it was where we live in Pittsburgh, PA. We had high 90-95 degree weather all last summer, and Orlando was actually a lot more comfortable. We are going again this year at the same time, lines are short, and yes it's hot, but lots of rides are air conditioned and the pools at Disney are fabulous! :goodvibes

Agreed, last August was cooler. All I brought was tank tops and I would of loved a short sleeve shirt. It did rain a lot and I'm sure that had a lot to do with the cooler air. It wasn't like I need a sweater or anything. August is do-able. Who knows what this August will bring - we'll be there too, but a little earlier than last yr (gotta take advantage of the APs before they expire for the year!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter