Late August 2009 visitors, crowd levels

daisypaisyduck

Mouseketeer
We usually don't visit WDW until after Labour Day, most recently Sept 10-20 /09.I have booked Bounceback for Aug 26/10 for 10 nights
I am concerned with taking kids out of school again for the 3rd year in a row, so we want to go before school starts in September.
What was your experience with lines. I have only been in September , so I think a 30 minute wait is too long(spoiled).Should I stick to September or is late August (including Labour day) low as well?

We went in mid August (9th -16th) and other than dealing with the heat...lines weren't all that bad. Naturally, all the big rides were packed but with FP's and some planning, we did great and never waited more than 20 mins.

We were there this year Aug 29th -Sept 7th. And like you we always use to go in September. The crowds were great - never waited for more than 10 minutes on any rides except for TSM which we waited on 20 minutes and than used Fast Passes. It was the only ride we use FP for. We even had VIP Fast passes and did not use them, because there were no line up. The only day that was really, really busy was the Sunday before Labor Day! We really enjoyed it and were surprised, because I was expecting really high crowds. So we booked for August next year. Can't wait to go back!

We always go the last week of August so the kids don't miss school. It isn't as crowded as the rest of the summer becasue many schools are back in session already. This past August was the least crowded we have ever seen it. It was so enjoyable (except for the heat). Here are some pictures:

This was August 23 at 11:30 AM. We had just gone on Aladdin's Carpet ride twice becasue there was no line. We got off and my boys were waiting to get squirted by the camel. As you can see, they had the place to themselves.
IMG_4593.jpg

This was in front of the castle a little after 9:30 AM on Aug. 29, again hardly any people.
P8290475.jpg

It does get busy Labor Day weekend, though.

We got there August 28th and we were there until Sep 10th. Lines were great we didn't waited in lines more than 5 minutes for anything. Labor day weekend was a little more crowed than the rest of the week but still wasn't bad.

We were there 8/15-8/29/09. Crowds were heavy but manageable. We were in at rope drop each park day and out by early afternoon most days. A few days we stayed without the mid-day break. Use fastpass and you'll be fine.

stayed Aug. 23rd- Sept.6th, first week was busier than the second week. Looooved the second week, I am spoiled too. I went the previous Sept.:goodvibes. Will say EMH nights were crazy, usually avoid them like the plague, but GG wanted to hop. Ugggh, the difference in crowds was amazing and this was the second week.

I booked bounceback and will be staying 8/14-8/30 so our kids will not miss any school. If I could I would always go the first 2 weeks of September.

We were there Aug 22nd through Sept 5th, and the crowds weren't bad at all. Most all the rides were less than 10 minute wait, even managed to get on Tomorrowland Indy Speedway with a short wait (though it was early in the day).

We have gone the last week before Labour Day 4 years in a row now and the crowds are definitely "manageable". With early arrivals and FastPasses we avoid long lines. However, with the exception of this year we find evening EM hours to be too crowded.

This year was definitely the least crowded of the 4 and I think there are several reasons:
1. Free Dining started earlier this year. The last two years Free Dining didn't start until the week we arrived so people wanting to visit before school starts and get Free Dining all went the same week. This year that demand was spread over 3 weeks.
2. Labour Day was later this year and more schools started before Labour Day.
3. The recession is really impacting a lot of families.

We are booked for the same week next year but I am not expecting it to be as quiet. Hopefully for everyone's sake the economy will have picked up by then.

We were there from August 24th through Sept. 3rd this year. Crowds were very manageable to say the least. Average wait times were 15-20 minutes max, except of course for things like TSM and Soarin'. (Although Soarin' was walk on late in the day, as in 7pm or so, on our 2nd day there).

We almost always go this time of year, and crowds are one of the reasons why. Our daughter is now school age, so going in the April\May timeframe, our former favorite, is not really an option anymore considering we like to stay at least 9 or 10 nights. Also, free dining has really made this a favorite time for us, as we do enjoy character meals almost daily, so it really pays off in the end.

Like disneysteve, we were there Aug 15-29. The crowds weren't bad and there was a noticeable drop in the crowds the second week. Florida schools started on Aug 24, so that may have helped. We didn't do any rope drops or EMH's. I don't recall any waits beyond 20 minutes, with the exception of TSM.

Since we were offsite, some ADR's (like 'Ohana) were challenging since free dining kicked in on the 16th.

It did rain a little almost every day, but I can't remember any of the storms lasting more than a half hour or so and we lucked out in that we happened to be indoors anyway. You do need to keep in mind that late August is hurricane season though, but this year its been quiet.

I think if you have to go in the summer, late August is your best bet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter