Last Mission space questions... I promise! Help me convince DH!

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
Last night I was telling DH about mission space and how they have changed it. I asked if he would come on with me and he said no. He gets a lot of motion sickness and is worried the ride will do it to him. So here are the questions...

1. does the gentle ride spin at all???

2. Is the gentle ride like a simulator? Would he get sick on it?

3. What is the appeal of the gentle ride? What do you get out of it if you don't experience the lift off feeling?

That's a good question! I would like to know the answer too. We have been too chicken to ride it ourselves, but now since they have the gentler version I might try it. Is it ok for a 4yo? She has been wanting to ride it, but I have had to tell her that it is a grown-up ride so far.

I have a question about mission space also. Is there a special line you go to with the softer version or you just ask the cast member???? I usually can not ride rides like this.

There is no spinning in the mild version. It is like a simulator. It is a small space with four seats and a console in front of each seat with some buttons and a video screen. After you are securely in the seat, the console comes down and close in front of you so that you can reach the buttons by just putting your hands out.

The story plays out on the screen directly in front of you. The vehicle moves around to simulate the motion of a real space vehicle. Even though it doesn't spin (and therefore allow you to experience the g-forces), it still feels very real. You move forward and backward and side-to-side as the story plays out taking off, flying around the moon and landing on Mars.

I get terrible motion sickness just riding in a car, so I was nervous about the ride. But the whole family wanted to do it, so I figured I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised that I did fine during most of the ride. The lift-off and flying in space part was great! Even the landing was okay, until we went through a series of canyons (ala Luke Skywalker going through the trenches of the Death Star). I got a bit queasy during that part, so I just closed my eyes until it was done.

All in all, my family enjoyed the ride and we're glad we gave it a try. We'll do it again in the future.

In May, there were two CMs at the entrance who asked if you wanted the "spicy" or "mild" versions! They then gave you a ticket with the appropriate color (orange for spicy and green for mild). There is a point inside where another CM asks you for the tickets and puts you into a line based on your choice. The day we did it, the green riders were on the left and the orange riders were on the right.

When we went in early June, they were calling the two versions of it "intense" and "less intense." Like the other person said, "intense" is orange and (this one spins) "less intense" is green (and doesn't spin). My DH referred to it as "hurling" and "non-hurling." LOL! My DH cannot go on rides that have a harness or anything around the body because he gets claustrophobic. So, he didn't ride it, but I did the "less intense/green" side and absolutely loved it. I'd say it's like Star Tours or the old Body Wars in that it's a simulator, but it didn't feel as "jerky" as those two rides, probably because it's newer. The way Bobkbaines described it is exactly how I would have described it, too. :goodvibes I also look forward to doing it again in the future.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

PRINCESS VIJA said:
Last night I was telling DH about mission space and how they have changed it. I asked if he would come on with me and he said no. He gets a lot of motion sickness and is worried the ride will do it to him.
I too get motion sickness, but the New M:S did not bother me at all. What rides bother him and which do not. This way I can see if he has better or worse motion sickness than I do.

PRINCESS VIJA said:
1. does the gentle ride spin at all???
DH and I think it might, but if it does is in only slightly.

PRINCESS VIJA said:
2. Is the gentle ride like a simulator? Would he get sick on it?
I too get sick on simulators and this did not bother me.

PRINCESS VIJA said:
3. What is the appeal of the gentle ride? What do you get out of it if you don't experience the lift off feeling?
The gentler ride is awesome for somebody like me who could never ride. DH has been on the original M:S many times and he said all that was missing was the no gravity part. The ride was fun for me and I would do it again. DH loved that I could ride with him too, but said he might still do the original.

Any other questions. BTW we just returned from WDW.

DisneyClay said:
I have a question about mission space also. Is there a special line you go to with the softer version or you just ask the cast member???? I usually can not ride rides like this.
Yes there are two lines. One is green (gentler) and the other orange (original). The CM will make sure you get the correct card at the ride entrance.

mickeyfan2 said:
I too get motion sickness, but the New M:S did not bother me at all. What rides bother him and which do not. This way I can see if he has better or worse motion sickness than I do.

BTW we just returned from WDW.

He gets sick on any roller coaster type ride and hates simulators. He does like splash mountain though... go figure? :confused3 I just want to present him with the info and he can choose.

Hope you had a great time at WDW! :thumbsup2

PRINCESS VIJA said:
He gets sick on any roller coaster type ride and hates simulators. He does like splash mountain though... go figure? :confused3 I just want to present him with the info and he can choose.

Hope you had a great time at WDW! :thumbsup2
Most simulators and roller coaster get me sick. I can ride BTMRR once or twice each trip and only do SplashM every few trips. The last drop is too much for me.

We had a great time!!!!

My advice. I have done the "spicy" version of Mission:Space. Now, due to an injury, can only maybe do the "mild" version. Don't fret with your husband. If he's even the slightest bit worried do this. Have him go on the "spicy" side with you. Then he can experience the entire preshow with you. Right before you board the capsules, he can take the exit. He'll have to wait maybe five minutes for you to return from Mars.

And tell him it's not that bad. I did this with my husband at Twilight Zone and it was so painless. The Cast Members basically trip over themselves making sure you get out before riding. Meeting up afterwards is easy.

One advantage of going "green" is less waiting time. We waited only 5 minutes to get on. I thought it was very mild and agree its alot like star tours if he has been on that.

We were at WDW last weekend. DW will not do many rides. She is not even happy with PotC.

We went to EPCOT early and while I ran to get FPs for Soarin, she loves it, she walked to M:S. She thought she might give green a shot and to my delight when I got back to her she said she was ready. She mentioned that the CM said it would be no problem.

We walked up to M:S and stayed to the left for green while orange entered at the right.

Since there is no centrifuge spinning, that part of the warning was not given but they still mentioned that if you are not sure if you want to ride you can exit.

We took off, flew our course, did the evasive maneuvers and landed and DW was thrilled with it and said she would like to do it again. Even though I have done the full M:S I will say that I enjoyed the green just as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter