• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last Minute Trip

JoanneDisFan

DIS Veteran
It's been 2 years since our last Disney Trip and in the midst of this DH quit his job, was jobless for 3 months and now has a job he loves but makes a lot less. It's a start up so the hope is one day he will make more money. But in the mean time we live a very frugal life.

I'm starting to really get the itch to go back to Disney. I turn 40 in Feb and I'm trying to convince DH it would be a great present to me. But it all depends on him making more money between now and then.

So my question is how much time will I need between getting the "Yes we can go" and the actual trip? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 week? I've always booked at least 6-9 months out for our trips so this is very new to me. Also last time we went was before magic bands and the new fastpass system. Also by then our kids will be 16 and 5 yrs old.

Any advice would be great.

You can book FastPasses at 60 days out, so that would be important if you plan to stay onsite. And dining reservations can be made 180 days out. Dining is only harder to get during free dining periods or very busy times of the year though. Those are the two issues you should be most cognizant of

Shortest wait i did was 48 hours last year. Last minute discounts has been common lately so no real loss there. Airfare was higher but reasonable. Fastpasses for what you can get, lines are shortest early morning and late at night. Mid Day is the longest and just be prepared for that (and do your meals/shows/parades in that time) Meals is where it got interesting depending on what your must do spots are. Concierge did go very out of their way to help once they realized it was a spontaneous trip. Late night before bed is when I would score the best reservations the next day. We walked into a lot of surprising places with no reservations Disney dining scout is also worth every penny and we have been using it heavy this trip, while here.

This trip was similar circumstances for me, When it aligned that vacation was possible, my daughter wanting disney was all that it took to just pull the trigger and hop for the best. It was our best trip at that time and we enjoyed it so much we went back 2 months later (with a little more warning of 3 weeks).

Now we are AP holders and many spontaneous trips since then. While you might have to skip some favorites with less notice, it will not be a bad trip. Think of the locals, they don't plan months in advance.

Last edited:
So to get decent fastpasses I probably want to aim for at least 60 days out. That is good to know. We have done free dining for the past few trips so I'm easy with taking a more laid back approach to dining this trip.

Accident: It sounds like your very last minute trip was lots of fun. Good to know that even at the last minute you still can make it work.

Im a local and I'm able to get good fastpasses a couple days before no problem. Sometimes major ones are not available, but if you hit the park at opening you can see those and then have your fast passes for the other major attractions.

Dining can be booked 36-48 hours in advance as well - as that's when everyone is cancelling.

I am consistently able to get into Be Our Guest within a day or two of going and get fastpasses.We only ever have issues with Mine Train or TSM, but we just wait in those lines or hit the park at opening.

It can be done. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter