Last Minute Trip - Yay or Nay?

We did a trip on short notice and I was stunned at how easily it all fell into place. Lodging, ADRs, FPs...all fell into place.

Have an awesome time! The more WDW the better!

Go!!!!! If I woke up tomorrow and dh told me to get in the car, we were going to WDW, I'd make it work. You can have a terrific time on short notice. My most spontaneous trip was two weeks out and I managed to snag fast passes for five for Frozen Ever After.

I don't think I've ever booked a Disney trip more than 2 months out. We used to go about twice a year when my kids were little whenever my husband had a conference or some other traveling for work. He's not a big Disney fan so it would work out well for us although he came on a couple trips so the kids would have some memories there with him. I would try to do some rides & restaurants that you haven't tried before. I would also call the shots sometimes so that you and your mom get to experience some of the things that you want to do as well. Personally, without my DH, I always preferred to stay on-site and use Disney transportation. Maybe look into a value resort, your DD would probably love the theming. The drive doesn't really sound all that bad to me, although I drive 3.5 hours each way every weekend with 3 kids to go skiing so 5 1/2 hours a day with two drivers doesn't seem that bad. I would definitely go for it!

Thanks everyone! I sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice - we did decide to book and pushed back our next trip into January/Feb (which hubby approved of for generally lower crowds).

I made our first day's FP a couple hours ago (eek!) :yay: So excited for my daughter to be able to swim in the condo pool and for F&G in Epcot!

Anytime I can get more Disney...I would. And I am an uber-planner. I would just take a different approach to the trip than my usual uberly-planned trips.

I just booked a May trip myself. Got all the FP's that we wanted including the big name rides. No issues with reservations either. I'd say go for it!

I think by DIS standards everyone of our trips is last minute lol! It is super fun and if you can let go of the details you will have an amazing time

Last minute trips are great. Our last one was planned with 2 weeks notice. It looks like, given the frequency that you've gone, that you'll have the right expectations. A last minute trip is really benefitted by not sweating whether you ride everything or not. If there choice is between going last minute, or waiting until November, go go go go go NOW!

I feel a little crazy considering it, but when I tried to brainstorm ideas for other vacations we could take that my daughter would enjoy, I really couldn't come up with anything that I thought she would love more than Disney. She still asks to go about once a week, lol.

ETA: Sorry, didn't see that you had already made a choice. Keeping this here for posterity because it's still a pretty cool alternative. Have fun on your trip!!!

If it would take a little pressure off to consider somewhere else, what about Assateague/Chincoteague? You mentioned that you're in VA, so I'm assuming NoVa, but could be wrong. I found Chincoteague to be a really easy drive, less crowded and hectic than the rest of the Eastern Shore, and really kid friendly (mini golf, bumper boats, gentle beaches, wild horse sightings, fantastic ice cream place). Just seemed like a slower, more relaxing pace, and that was perfect for us.

I feel like if it were me and I was given the choice between a second WDW trip in a year (we're going in May) and a leisurely trip somewhere else, I might just go with the somewhere else just because it was easier, slower-paced, and (probably) a little less expensive.

That said, it is definitely always hard to say no to the siren call of WDW, so I'm sure it would be a touch choice for me : )

I'm on the "I would always say yes to a Disney trip" train :) I visit the world 3-4 times/year and some trips are planned almost a year out, others 5-6 months out, & some 4-6 weeks out. I am heading back in just over a couple weeks for a quick impromptu girls trip and can't wait.

Due to my work, I can only do 6 weeks out planning (I have a clause in my contracts that I am required to have 6 weeks notice for onsite work including testimony or depositions). You'll be fine. I eat late, but with the exception of V&A, can get all the reservations I want just by re-checking. Don't freak out, outside of the Dis lots of visitors don't even think about vacation more than 3 months out. You'll be fine and realize all the super advance planning could have happened anytime. Also, I've been able to get whatever FPs I've wanted, or at least a VERY manageable group. Have a great time!

Our best trip was a last minute trip. It was planned about 4 weeks out. Best trip EVER!!! I think since we went with no expectations it was that much more magical. We got some great ADR's (including CRT, BBB, Ohana) and "accidentally" met every princess and some prince's without even actively trying.

If it would take a little pressure off to consider somewhere else, what about Assateague/Chincoteague?

My parents used to live on the Eastern Shore :) We're definitely planning on taking my daughter there when she gets a little older, especially to see the ponies! But, as you said, the Disney siren call got us this time!

Hi everyone!

I'm considering a last minute trip to Disney in mid-May. Hubby is going to be working crazy hours all month and the trip was suggested to have a little fun (he goes on this schedule 1-2 times a year and it tends to be a little overwhelming and stressful for the family, since I'm a SAHM without any family nearby!). It would be myself, my mom, and my three year old daughter (she has been to DW twice - November 2015 and November 2016).

But I'm having the worst time making this decision! All other Disney trips I've taken have been planned months in advance, so it's crazy to me to think we could be leaving in less than a month.

Have you ever done a last minute trip? Any advice or pros/cons I might not have considered? Is May about average, crowd-wise?

More info:
-We just went in November 2016 (myself, my mom, family friend and my almost 3 year old - we had a blast!)
-We were also planning another November trip this year, though we haven't booked anything yet. Hubby is a little concerned that it wouldn't be as special for our daughter having just gone 6 months before.
-Since we just went, we're not as stressed out about riding the "big name" rides that might be difficult to fastpass at this point. Honestly, we let my daughter call the shots most of the time last trip, which meant that we rode IASW and the Little Mermaid ride about 1678 times ;)
-We're also ambivalent about dining - we would probably try to snag a few last minute ressies, but we're also fine with CS dining.
-We would probably road trip down, from VA, but that also gives me pause. Never done that kind of drive with my daughter before! We would spilt the driving over two days. I do think this may be my biggest hang-up, even though I HATE flying.
-I can't say that cost isn't a consideration, doing two trips in one year (I never saw us a big Disney family, even though we enjoy it!). But between his bonus and other things, we currently have enough for both trips already, but I'm mindful of what else we could do with that money as well, though nothing pressing and/or significant.
-Probably staying off-site, if we do go

I feel a little crazy considering it, but when I tried to brainstorm ideas for other vacations we could take that my daughter would enjoy, I really couldn't come up with anything that I thought she would love more than Disney. She still asks to go about once a week, lol.

What say you, DIS?

In May you are looking at anywhere from a 5-9 crowd level. When would it be exactly?

Has your daughter ever done a road trip like that? How is she in the car? I drove to Texas from Atlanta (16 hours) when one was 2 and the other 9. It went fine. I had a DVD player but didn't pull it out until we got to Louisiana. I went to the dollar store and Five Below and new books and stuff for the car. I left really early, like 4am. She fell back asleep and we were in Alabama before breakfast. Now my older daughter?? She screamed 13 hours driving to Miami when she was 2. So it really depends on the kid.

For a child that age it isn't going to lose any magic. She might come to expect it though and be disappointed when you don't take a yearly Disney trip. I know we went 3 years in a row and by the time the third year came around the castle had lost some of its charm for me. I like 2-4 years in between my trips now, it makes them feel really special. But, my kids are getting a little older 9, and 17 when we go back in November so we don't need to go yearly anymore.

I did a last-minute trip in mid-Aug 2015 when I was sent to Orlando on business with about 4 weeks' notice. Even though crowds were relatively high (one of our days was projected to be a 9, turned out to be a 10), we still had a ball. Mid-May should have relatively low crowds--I think you'll have fun, too!

May is pretty good weather, too, and crowds are manageable. We love going in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter