Last minute trip to the poly!

Nolamom3

Earning My Ears
Next week is Mardi Gras and our kids have the week off. My husband decided (2 days ago) that he wanted to take advantage of the time off and plan a trip to WDW! I kept checking the website and there were no rooms available. Last night, we found a room at the poly and decided to go for it! I only have 4 days to pack for my family of 6!

I know there are renovations being done there but I'm hoping it won't be a problem. Anyone stay there recently?

I stayed there in June, which isn't all that recent. The good news for you is, the lobby is pretty much done. The main pool is still under construction. Captain Cook's is open. So is the Pineapple Lanai. When you check in, ask for a room as far away from construction as possible. This is what we did in June and we were very happy - we didn't hear any construction noise during our stay.

The feature pool is closed and walled off. You can expect construction to be pretty intensive, with the sound of jackhammers and clouds of dust forming around the area. You still have access to the monorail, the quiet pool, kona, o'hana, captain cook's, the pineapple lanai, and part of the beach. The transportation and ticket center is a short walk where you can also take the monorail to Epcot.

You lose out on that "wow" factor of being immersed in a tropical paradise right now. But there's still a LOT to appreciate about the resort.

These photos are from February 8th
10958347_926717204039621_1640493114113462532_n.jpg

10352575_926717220706286_7679454711864112801_n.jpg

I just returned from a week at the Polynesian. Other than some obvious signs (and sounds) of construction, I really didn't find it overly intrusive. Frankly, we expected worse. While we were there, the noise was occasional, not constant. Maybe it's because I live in an area of Washington DC pretty much always under construction, but we just weren't bothered by it.

Yes, there is a lot going on, there is certainly construction happening, and we had some dust on our car (but I also saw construction staff themselves constantly working to sweep up dust, etc.)

It's still a relaxing resort, in my opinion. We had a lovely room (in Fiji), enjoyed fantastic meals at 'Ohana and Kona, and felt the location on the water was still beautiful. I look forward to returning to see the changes when complete.

Stayed there last week of Christmas. Obviously the main pool is under construction. The quiet pool is still available (and I think you still get free passes to Typhoon Lagoon). All the restaurants are open and working normally. The entrance is covered up (nicely) but you won't see either pond going in. The lobby is... well it's not under construction anymore... ;). The only main hassle I had was staying in a building to the right of the GCH (east side) which required me going through the GCH to get to the docks and back. If you're on the left/west side of the GCH this won't be that big of a deal.

Thanks everyone! We hadn't planned to use the pool so that isn't a big let down for us. I appreciate the feedback. I'm still excited especially since it's spur of the moment!

We stayed at Poly for five days last month, and we were very happy. The new lobby is wonderful. I've been staying at Poly since childhood and have sentimental attachment to the old waterfall, but I far prefer this new updated look and feel. The path to TTC was closed during our stay, but I didn't find the re-route to add on that much time. We stayed CL, so we were in Hawaii right next to the main pool construction, but didn't hear it. The straight-into-the-pit construction photos are alarming - I took a few of them. But most of the time, I'm not sitting there looking straight into the pit. I'm looking out at the castle, the lagoon, etc. So it all depends on your perspective.

As for the pool, we were running lots of marathon weekend races and it was cold during our stay. We didn't miss the pool because it was too cold to swim anyway.

There's not a lot of trouble on the west side. The east side is a mess.

The walk to the TTC is messy and goes into the street. Half of the beach is blocked by the DVC bungalows and pool construction.

If you can stay on the west side, it'll be fine (just remember that big machines make noise. All the time. On the east side ... take deep breaths and think of England :)

have fun!

Thanks everyone! We hadn't planned to use the pool so that isn't a big let down for us. I appreciate the feedback. I'm still excited especially since it's spur of the moment!

I think it is very exciting! A last minute trip is always fun! Have an awesome time, and I would love to hear, I think a lot of people would, what you thought of the construction going on at the resort!

I think it is very exciting! A last minute trip is always fun! Have an awesome time, and I would love to hear, I think a lot of people would, what you thought of the construction going on at the resort!

Thank you! I will definitely come back and let yall know how it's going! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter