Last minute trip to New Orleans-please read

coastiewifern

DIS Veteran
We just found out we'll be going to New Orleans while my husband attends a conference. We are leaving Sunday. I want to do some things with the kids (7 & 10) while he's at the hotel working. I know the zoo is great. I was wanting to take the on the steamboat company tour (steamboat Natchez). I was also considering a swamp tour but I am not sure since that is a ways outside of the city. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get discount tickets for the boatride or other attractions.
What other attractions would be kid friendly. I'd rather do outside things since the weather is supposed to be great.
I am excited to hear your suggestions.

Also we are bringing our bikes because we are leaving for FL from New Orleans. Do you think it is safe to bike around the French Quarter rather than walk? It might help preserve the little one's energy. What do you think?

The aquarium is a wonderful place to visit and there is an IMAX theatre next door to it that is great too!! Have fun :)

I haven't been in several years, but really enjoyed the aquarium and Imax theater. There's also a place you can take a tour of the Mardi Gras floats and how they're made - that was pretty neat. Neither are outdoors, but both were fun.

I second the aquarium. (I'm a season pass holder to the zoo and aquarium). Also, you must go to Cafe Du Monde for Beignets, the cathedral is a cool thing to see (kids won't find it to interesting though), I don't know how much the boat tickets are but there are little stands all over the place that sell tickets to that, the haunted tours, etc.
As for riding bikes in the quarter. Everytime I've gone it's been pretty busy there so I would say that it wouldn't be easy to bike directly in the quarter (like around cafe du monde). The area around the river walk (overlooking the water) has some nice open space to ride a bike though.
Have fun!

If you drive to the zoo you can bike around Audubon Park (it's just across the street). They have a very nice bike/rollerblading/jogging path that goes around the "lake" and by the golf course. The front of the park is on St. Charles so you can see both Tulane and Loyola University's street fronts. There are always ducks to feed.

By the way, the back side of the zoo is on the levee. You can bike up there as well to look at the river or they sell combination tickets for the zoo, aquarium, and the John J. Audubon boat (which takes you from the zoo to the aquarium or vice versa).

We bought the visiticket. You can go as many places as you want in a day. We only spent a small amount of time and saw quite a few things. We pricelined a room downtown and got a GREAT corner 4 star room. We started at the French Market. Caught the free shuttle to Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World - went on the steamboat for lunch and the tour - went to the zoo to feed the giraffes (and missed it because they started early!) - and finished at the Destrehan Plantation. After that, we had to go! It was probably 4:00 or so. We could have certainly spent more time at the zoo but I was really happy with all we accomplished! I would have enjoyed an airboat ride but nobody else in my family was crazy about the idea, it was way out of the way (west) and we were out of time! Check into that and price it out both ways but we really liked it!

Great suggestions so far. So do you think the zoo, aquarium and IMAX are doable in one day? They are all right next to each other right? I think the kids would like to ride the trolley too! That is out by the zoo correct?
Where is "city park"? Is that near the cathederal? I remember a plaza in NO where there were many street performer. My kids love that (reminds them of Epcot!). Where is that plaza? Is it near cafe du monde??

The IMAX used to have a GREAT film about the importance of the wetlands and their role in hurricanes and some about Katrina as well. Not sure if it's still playing.

After the aquarium, be sure to grab some beignets at Cafe du Monde - YUM! The Natchez, Cafe, and Aquarium are all right together, so it should be easy to knock out at one time. While you are in the area and if you are not too tired, wander Jackson square and check out the performance artists and local artisans (day or night). A loop through the Garden District on the street car is also a nice thing to do...

Also, I am not sure it would be appropriate given the ages of your children (I know my girls would probably not be ready) but I went on some facinating cemetary and walking ghost tours. The ghost tour was a night and pretty creepy, it may even have an age requirement. If you and hubby had a night free together, it was a lot of fun. The cemetary tour was during the day and quite educational and interesting...I would *consider* that for the kids.

Great suggestions so far. So do you think the zoo, aquarium and IMAX are doable in one day? They are all right next to each other right? I think the kids would like to ride the trolley too! That is out by the zoo correct?
Where is "city park"? Is that near the cathederal? I remember a plaza in NO where there were many street performer. My kids love that (reminds them of Epcot!). Where is that plaza? Is it near cafe du monde??

You picked a great weekend. The weather should be fabulous!

Now, to your questions....
The aquarium & IMAX are in the same complex. The zoo is a short streetcar ride upriver, and they are all doable in one day if your kids do the zoo like mine, zooming from one exhibit to the next! The aquarium & the zoo are not walking distance from each other, however. Check out the tourist coupon books which are usually at the front desks of the hotels, or AAA for package / discounts.

City Park is also a short streetcar ride away, but in a different direction. I don't know how late you're arriving on Sunday, but you might be able to squeeze in a visit to the Disney Dreams exhibit at the New Orleans Museum of Art, located in City Park. The exhibit closes the 14th at 5pm.

The "plaza" with street perfomers you're remembering is Jackson Square, and yes, Cafe du Monde is on one of it's corners.

For some good information (like the bike-riding question), pop over to our Metro NOLA thread on the Community Board. Friendly, real live locals frequent the thread and they can give you family-friendly realistic advice.

i would definitely do Mardi Gras World...take lots of pics!!

The plantations are nice but don't know if kids would really enjoy them.

There's a nice little Mardi Gras musuem right in Jackson Square if I remember correctly. Not the big one but still with plenty of Mardi Gras exhibits - my girls loved it. Jackson Square itself will be educational for your kids - spend some time walking through!! Have a beignet at Cafe du Monde, then go see the IMAX and aquarium.

There used to be a boat you could take from the aquarium out to the zoo - don't know if it is still running.

My daughter loves the Insectarium! When given the choice between that and the zoo or aquarium, she picks the bugs! It's just a couple blocks from the aquarium on Canal.

Personally, I think riding bikes in the Quarter with kids would be a little risky. The roads are pretty narrow, and with a lot of foot traffic and cars, I'd be concerned. I think you could ride on the riverfront though, so that might be an option.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter