Last minute Trip...Leaving Dec. 17th

mickistreeter

Earning My Ears
Ok...I really need everyones help here :worship:

For the first time in 8 years, we were not going to go, hubbys hours got cut, two salary cuts...it has just been a bad year! We usually go in January or February.

My sister has a condo booked starting December 18th until December 28th, Orange Gardens or something like that?!? I guess it used to be a Holiday Inn...Anyways, it sleeps up to eight people, there are four of them, and three of us. She said if we can make it down, we can stay with them for no charge! We do have our tickets yet...a few park days left and a lot of water park pass days. We will be driving from Wisconsin, so I figure about $500 in gas...though last year we found that gas was cheaper as we got farther down south.

Anyways...I need to make this as economical as possible! I am trying to plan this to surprise my hubby, pick him up from work that Thursday, and just take off! I guess I should explain also, because of the economy, for the first time EVER he has a two week shutdown starting on the 18th, so he will not have to use any of his vacation days :woohoo: We have ALWAYS wanted to do Disney at Christmas, and everything just seems like the right time! LOL, well, besides being very tight on money.

Does anyone know of any clean, yet reasonable hotels on the way down? If need be we could sleep at a rest stop...Though we have three drivers (myself, hubby, and son) if we need to drive straight through.

I am planning on packing a cooler so that we do not have to spend all that much on eating out.

We will probably stay for four or five days and then head back. Maybe do two parks?!?

I would really appreciate any budget saving tips :love: Or any thoughts or ideas you may have!

Hi I'm from Wi too. Since you're driving you can totally save on food. Especially for b-fast and you can pack a lunch and bring a smaller cooler for the water parks. Also make and freeze some meals for dinner like Spaghetti then just do a small grocery stop for salad & bread etc. when you get there. You have a few week until you go so watch your local stores for snacks and soda/water to pack with you. Good luck and have fun!:)

Thanks :love: That is a GREAT idea! I never thought of taking "pre-made" meals! That is an AWESOME idea! I always make way to much for supper anyways...The next few weeks I will make like spaghetti, Chili, sloppy joes, that kind of stuff, and freeze it and then pack it up in the cooler! I had thought about taking stuff for meals, never about making them before hand :yay:

Orange Lake Resort is a part of Holiday Inn Vacation Club. It is a large resort with good reviews on trip advisor except for the timeshare. If you decide to go through the timeshare to get more Disney tickets be prepared for a hard sell. I have friends that always stay there. You can go on Holiday Inn's website to check it out or even ask questions about it on the Orlando hotels section of this forum.

Your stars are definitely aligned for this :thumbsup2

Personally, since the time off is no issue and the room is free when you get there I would drive right through, and take a day at the beginning to relax. When I was younger we always drove straight from MA (about 24 hours) and it was not that bad.

have a wonderful trip!!

Another Cheese head here :lmao:
We will be coming back when you will be arriving. Have a safe trip. Watch the weather for snow (I know I don't have to tell you that though :))
We thought about driving also, but then Southwest started flying out of Milwaukee and we got flights for $74 each way :cool1:

When I was doing my homework on driving it looked like the area to stay was north of Atlanta, but to make sure and leave early in the am so you won't get traffic. I've never done this, but when we do drive, this is what we will be doing. But, if you are in the Ashland part of WI, you would probably want to stop WAY sooner than if you are in the Madison part of WI :)

Have a wonderful time. Maybe the BADGERS will be playing when you go down there!!!!! Last year they were playing the day we left. I wish we would've stayed.......

Orange Lake has a very NICE water park.. and several other pools, there is really enough there to spend a couple of days just doing that resort. As for a hotel down, not sure how far you will get, but we stayed on I 75 at exit 312 in Calhoun GA, north of Atlanta. there is a nice Cracker Barrell, we stayed at both Hampton Inn, around 75.00, new Holiday Inn Express for 79.00 senior disc. ( Non smoking). Laquinta.. not so nice, but newer for around 80.00 and a Country Inns and Suites around 85.00. Not the cheapest but a safe clean exit. You may be able to stay here on your way home, it;s about one days drive for us from WDW.

The best thing about this exit, is there is an outlet mall there too. Last year after Christmas, I found some really good deals at a Bath and body Outlet-Outlet, so it was the Outlet for the Outlet... a Robe for 8.00... it was fun!

I'll be driving from St. Louis on the 17th also, but going to Sebation.. ( after work also, so I'll be further than you.). Have a great surprise trip. YOU will love Orange Lake!:hippie:

Editing to add: dont' forget to use the Hotel coupon books that are available at the rest areas. I always use them If I dont have reservations.

You can also get alot of the Disney Christmas Spirit for free, take a monorail loop resort tour. Nothing like seeing the Gingerbread House at the GF, you could also tour the Epcot/Boardwalk area and resorts, enjoy an ice cream cone at Beaches and Cream and enjoy the chocolate carousel etc. Also the Swan and Dolphin has a great tree at the Dolphin and activities like carolers etc. Window shopping at the Marketplace could be fun too.

First of all--hooray for you guys! I agree, sounds like the stars have aligned just right for you to be able to take this trip. :cool1:

When we go to WDW, we drive from west MI, and like Melynny, we usually stop in Calhoun, GA. We've liked the Holiday Inn Express there, though it's been awhile since we've been, so not sure if it's still okay.

We also stay offsite in a condo and take food with us. We eat breakfast in the unit while we're getting ready for the day (quick stuff like cereal, pop tarts, bagels, etc.), do lunch in the parks (sometimes we do a "tailgate" picnic at the car if we park hop), and then usually eat dinner in the condo. We bring stuff that's pre-cooked and just needs to be warmed up, or we do simple things like rotisserie chicken from the grocery store with sides. We have Brita to-go bottles with filters for water, though I don't know if they make those anymore. Otherwise, we'd take bottled water into the parks. We can save lots of $$ on food/drinks by doing this.

Good luck with your last minute planning--we also may be able to take a last minute WDW Christmas trip too, but I still don't know. We don't normally do big trips without lots of planning so this would be a first! :scared:

We just stayed at Calhoun Exit 312, both ways down and back.. Hampton Inn on the way down. Great room great price, clean, rooms refurbished. Holiday inn, on the way home, good breakfast, all non smoking, still pretty clean.. the only thing, we found that the little coffeemaker stilll had one of those coffee pod things ( used) in it.. EEEWWW. everything else was very clean there. (This was thanksgiving 2009)

You could go to target or someplace and pick up a small gas camping stove, or electric skillet. So that way you have some way to heat up your dinner, and just stop at a nice rest area that has some picnic tables. You could also get hamburger helper stuff (as long as you don't need milk), that'll cook all in one pot. Always eat a nice full breakfast if it's included.
I always have my refillable mug on me, one of the ones they sell at the gas stations. It's like 4-6$ for the cup, but most places only charge 99cents or less to refill, and you can do hot or cold drinks. It's usually gas stations like Hess, Race Trac, Mobil, and 7-11 that allow for the cheap refills. Since it's insulated, it'll keep you going for a long time. Until pee break.

If you've got the water park fun and more option on the ticket, you can use that for Disney Quest as well. That way if it's too cold for water, you can still do some warm indoor things.

When I went with my aunt on this last road trip, from Dallas, Tx to Brazil, IN to Orlando... the two best hotels we stayed at were Microtel 80ish a night, and Country Inn and Suites (same price). Always look for the hotel coupon book, you'll be traveling earlier enough on your trip down that I don't think you should worry about places being sold out of the cheap rooms. But maybe if you like the hotel you stay at, check their website to see what discounts they offer for advance ressies. And with the slightly nicer hotels like that, you're more likely to have a mini fridge to keep your food cold, cause ice will eventually melt.

I don't suggest driving straight thru, you might end up spending your entire vacation trying to recoup...

As for your couple of days in the parks, I elect Epcot and Magic Kingdom to get the most out of the festive feel. Just don't visit the MK on a party night or you'll only have from 9am to 7pm. And the resorts are always fun to walk around and explore during the holidays. And they seem to be bringing in more live performances at DTD, at the lakeside theater thing they have.

Why is it when a female decides to do surprise trips and such to Disney, it's all hunky dorey for leaving the guy in the dark...
But if a guy tries to do a surprise trip to Disney, all they get is, make sure you tell her before you go so she can have time to pack??

Use Priceline bidding for hotels along the way. You can liley get a Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn sort of place for about $30 a night.

Why is it when a female decides to do surprise trips and such to Disney, it's all hunky dorey for leaving the guy in the dark...
But if a guy tries to do a surprise trip to Disney, all they get is, make sure you tell her before you go so she can have time to pack??

Because it takes MUCH more planning than guys realise....We females get crazy when it comes to our products (shampoos, make-up). Replacing things we forgot gets quite expensive! :teacher:

Thanks so much guys for all the tips :love: We are in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, so half way through the state. So not to bad! I am going to look into getting one of those hotels a few of you mentioned on priceline, that would save me a bit :goodvibes I right now am trying to plan my meals for the next two weeks so that I can make extra for freezing. I do have a few questions about Orange lake...I think they booked it through Orbitz, so I am not sure if it would be time share or not. I know it says it sleeps up to eight, so will it cost extra for us to stay with them? Right now they have it reserved for four. Also, another question, So if we are going to go from resort to resort on the monorail, just park at Magical Kingdom or Epcot and then jump on the monorail? Is that the best way to do it? Thanks again everyone for EVERYTHING!

Orange Lake is a big complex with different sized units, including studio (I think--and these would not accomodate your group), 1 bedroom units (also too small for your group), and 2 bedroom units (probably large enough to accomodate your group, though some time share resorts have 2 bdrm units that only accomodate 6--not sure about OL). They may have a 2 bdrm unit reserved (hence their invitation to your family), but unless they know for sure what size unit they've reserved, you should probably check to be sure. It could be a problem if the unit isn't large enough and they can't upgrade you (or would only do it for a fee). Better safe than sorry, in my book.

Regarding the monorail...it only goes to 3 of the resorts in the MK area: Poly, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian. If you park in the MK or Epcot lots, you can transfer to the resort monorail to go to these resorts. If you want to go to any other resort, you'll have to take another form of transport (car, boat, bus, etc.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter