Last minute trip-good neighbor hotel-first timer-help

petunia

DIS Veteran
Booking a last minute 3 night stay (few weeks from now)..20 times to wdw never to land..only looking at good neighbor since the cost is almost free for the hotel compared to me getting tickets separately..however the first/cheapest 5 or 6 that Disney lists all have meh reviews. Not looking for pool or theming as are with our teens and will be in park all day, just dont want roaches really and maybe walking distance to parks...any recommendations or do I have tp look at the higher priced ones?

These are listed by cheapest
Motel 6
Sonesta
Sheraton Park
Holiday Inn Anaheim
Best Western Pavillion

Hilton Anaheim (convention center) honestly has the best deal of the nicer hotels in the area. We usually end up there most times.

I have stayed multiple times at Motel 6 Main Gate. Its about a 15 minute walk to the bag check at the pedestrian entrance on Harbor Boulevard.

I have walked it but I used to get the ART bus back , as after a 14 hour day in the park my feet had enough. Its a safe enough walk back though, there were streams of people walking from the parks at 11pm.

There are two blocks, connected on the upper levels by stairs and outside corridors. The main building has a elevator, the black block doesnt. There is also a laundry room in the main building.

I havent been there for a few years but there wasnt any food onsite. They had vending machines and microwaves for guest use in the lobby area. They also had complementary coffee in the mornings up until 10am I think.

There used to be a small convenience store onsite but it had random hours.

There is an outdoor pool but I never used it. They have a luggage store.

I always found the staff to be nice and helpful.

The rooms are huge but basic, two king beds, no carpet in the rooms. I never had any issues staying there.

I only switched to Tropicana or Desert Inn and Suites due to the distance from the parks. Motel 6 is just that bit too far walking distance for me now after staying across the street from the pedestrian entrance on Harbor Boulevard.

If you want close and walking distance check out the Desert Inn & Suites, Park Vue Inn, Best Western Park Place Inn, Candy Cane Inn, Grand Legacy, Anaheim Hotel, and Tropicana Inn.

If you want really cheap and just a place to sleep and shower, Motel 6 Maingate is your place. It's about a mile away but you can take the ART shuttle.

The thing is that most people have already booked up for December so you may have a hard time finding a decent price at a lot of places!

I'd take a look at the hotels right across the street. The walk is literally less than 5 minutes. You could compare prices of these vs. Motel 6.

BW park Place Inn
BW Anaheim Plus Inn
Tropicana
Park Vue
Desert Inn and Suites
Camelot

Make sure you read reviews online! We are always tempted by the Motel 6, but it usually doesn’t have the best reviews….

My husband stayed at the Sheraton Park last year and absolutely loved it. He said it’s his new favorite spot. That being said, I have seen online that some of the hotel workers are striking. I’m not sure if they still are. But if you decide to book here, I would call and ask about it as I’ve read some guests could hear the workers on strike early in the mornings.

Someone else mentioned the Park Vue Inn. We also really love that place. Such a close walk! Another one that has a lot of room types, includes a hot breakfast and is walking distance is Desert Palms. Candy Cane is also a popular choice. Have a fun trip!

I've stayed at the BW Pavillions a few times. It's clean and walkable and cheaper than the BWs on Harbor. The walk isn't too bad, but it's definitely longer. The walk is entertaining as you pass by paradise pier, the grand Californian and walk through downtown disney. You can exit back to the hotel through the GCH or the new exit in DCA to save a few steps.

If you don't mind driving in and paying for parking, the hotels in Garden Grove are great for the value. Most have a shuttle or easy access to the ART buses.

Thanks many of these are not on the list, perhaps booked already as someone mentioned? As I said, dont need luxury or pool etc just didnt want bugs or filthy.

Thanks all!

BWPPI is not fancy, the pool is really meh but the rooms are clean and comfortable and so close to the main gates.

Winner in my book

I've stayed at the BW Pavillions a few times. It's clean and walkable and cheaper than the BWs on Harbor. The walk isn't too bad, but it's definitely longer. The walk is entertaining as you pass by paradise pier, the grand Californian and walk through downtown disney. You can exit back to the hotel through the GCH or the new exit in DCA to save a few steps.

If you don't mind driving in and paying for parking, the hotels in Garden Grove are great for the value. Most have a shuttle or easy access to the ART buses.
How long was the walk?

I hope this link works. This is how we went when we stayed at BW Pavilions. We tried ART a few times and hated it so we went with the walk each day.

Shared route
From Best Western Plus Pavilions to Disneyland Esplanade, Disneyland East Esplanade, Anaheim, CA 92802 via Downtown Drive.

25 min (1.1 mi)
To see this route visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/iMWCLkXTyaFmq9wZ7

I am going to say this with the full disclosure that Pavilions was a perfectly acceptable hotel, it was also my very first experience with a roach. I did not handle it well at all. Went to flip off the lights for the night and my daughter asks what the thing on the wall is. Well it was a roach. They came and sprayed the threshold into the room for us and they had just trimmed up the landscaping and said that disrupts them sometimes. Since then I've had one other roach experience in the area. I really don't like bugs, so for me it was not a good night sleep after but staff was nice and they handled it.

I totally understand it can happen anywhere. I just hadn't had an experience with one yet. I very rarely tell this story but since you specifically mentioned roaches I wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks many of these are not on the list, perhaps booked already as someone mentioned? As I said, dont need luxury or pool etc just didnt want bugs or filthy.

Thanks all!
It's definitely possible they're sold out since you said your dates are soon, but if you are also looking only at booking Good Neighbor hotels through Disney that could be another reason. Not all of the hotels suggested in this thread are Good Neighbor (which is a truly meaningless designation at Disneyland. Park Vue and Desert Inn are not Good Neighbor, for example) and some may not allocate all their rooms to third party bookings. So you may find some additional availability by looking to book directly. I know you mentioned earlier that the hotel was near free when booking a package but that's almost never the case at DLR so I'd double check buying discounted tickets elsewhere and booking rooms separately.

Last edited:
BW Stovall's Inn is good. Clean. Parking is $15/night if you are planning to have a car. They have a pool but we did not use it.
Its a straight walk down Disneyland Drive. At the end, you can either go left towards Downtown Disney or go right towards DCA through GCH. The walk is partly shaded up until you reach Paradise Pier Hotel. About a 15-20 min walk.

Where do you usually stay at WDW? The reason I ask is if you are thinking the motel 6 would be comparable to a value at WDW you will be very disappointed. Also recommend the hotels @Pluto468 mentioned, and suggest booking directly through them and not Disney due to allocations.

I haven't seen anyone mention it but check The Anaheim Hotel. It's probably going to be a little pricier but I would pay more to be closer to the parks. It's about an 8 minute walk. We stayed there for a girls' trip in June and I already have it booked again for next October.

I would highly recommend the Candy Cane Inn. It's been recently renovated, is walking distance from the parks and has free parking and a really good free breakfast. The free parking alone will save you $15-35 per night. They also have a free shuttle service, which is really nice when you're tired at the end of the day.

We ended up going with Sheraton Park..only went with the "Disney Good Neighbor" because pricing out the tickets and most value hotels in the area were more than just getting the package thru Disney (totally not because I think it means anything:) I figure we can uber if we're exhausted but only shows an 18 min walk and seemed clean upon reviews.

We ended up going with Sheraton Park..only went with the "Disney Good Neighbor" because pricing out the tickets and most value hotels in the area were more than just getting the package thru Disney (totally not because I think it means anything:) I figure we can uber if we're exhausted but only shows an 18 min walk and seemed clean upon reviews.
There is a line of taxi's right at the exit if you need a ride, that you can just ask "how much to go..." usually $20 will cover it. Be at your hotel in 5min.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter