Last Minute trip for hubby and I! How to stretch our budget?

billwendy

DIS Veteran
Hi!
Haven’t been to Disney since 12/2014! We are Disney people celebrating our 25th & 30th anniversaries! We have our room at the Pop and our 3 day park tickets. We will be driving from Austin, TX. Besides eating in our room, sharing quick service meals, going to he Disney outlet stores how can we find more budget friendly things to do on non park days?

We like to visit other resorts. Both Port Orleans resorts have entertainment several nights a week. The EPCOT and monorail resorts are beautiful to visit. CBR is a quick skyliner ride with different food options.

The outlet stores have been somewhat disappointing lately. Resellers get there first thing in the morning and grab up a lot of the more desired items. We used to come home with lots of stuff now it is not unusual for us to not get anything.

I agree with visiting the various resorts. You can wander around for free, only have to spend money if you want to get a drink or snack! Just keep in mind that if you're driving your own car and don't have an ADR or other reservation at a given resort, it's best to park at Disney Springs or at one of the parks and take Disney transportation to the resort you want to visit.

Also, we have a lot of fun riding the Friendship boats between Epcot and the Studios and stopping off to visit the resorts along that route (Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach, Swan & Dolphin), riding the Skyliner from the Studios to Caribbean Beach and from there to Pop and Art of Animation (they have their own Skyliner line from CBR) or to Riviera (on the Epcot line from CBR), riding the monorail to the resorts near MK (Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary), and finally riding the boat from Contemporary to Wilderness Lodge and then to Ft. Wilderness (or you can ride from MK to WL or from MK to FW, separate boats). Oh yes, there are separate boats from DS to POFQ/R, OKW, and SSR too! You can reach any of the other resorts via bus from a park.

Disney springs has lots of entertainment for free just walking around. if you don’t want to eat at raglan road you can still go to the bar and have a drink to watch the entertainment or stand outside to see the entertainment at the outside venue there. You could share wine and an app at the wine bar around the corner from raglan road. The bowling alley at Disney springs is fun and you can order apps. On the boardwalk the pizza place has a decent to go pizza for a reasonable price and you can watch the entertainment on the boardwalk at night. And you can always go to any restaurant and just share an appetizer, you don’t need to get a full dinner.

Chicken Guy and Earl of Sandwich are the best deals at DS IMO. I'd skip the outlets.

Go to Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Lodge. If Boma is out of the budget, The Mara has lots of the same items. You can split a meal and then split zebra domes (a must!) After you wander through the gorgeous lobby you can head out back to the savannah, sit in the rockers by the firepit and watch the animals. I can't imagine a better deal than that!

Hi!
Haven’t been to Disney since 12/2014! We are Disney people celebrating our 25th & 30th anniversaries! We have our room at the Pop and our 3 day park tickets. We will be driving from Austin, TX. Besides eating in our room, sharing quick service meals, going to he Disney outlet stores how can we find more budget friendly things to do on non park days?
Don't drink alcohol or soda/water only.

Leverage happy hours for food specials.

How long will you be there and are your tickets hoppers? Could the 4 day one park one time tickets work for you?

Don’t go to the character warehouse outlet on a Saturday it’s crazy busy. Also the regular stores like Target and Walmart will have Disney souvenirs cheaper than onsite. If you book a package, they send you vouchers for free mini golf before 4pm .

Stay away from the outlets. Bring breakfast bars/cereal fruit so you don't have to go out in the morning. Bring a case of water and chill it in you frig or freezer and you can bring it in the parks. For your non park days bring items to make sandwiches, salads or wraps and picnic by your pool and enjoy some relaxation time. A Disney trip doesn't have to be on the go all the time. Buy a few reduced price gift cards now as a kind of savings plan. See gift card thread for help.

Agreed on many of these:

1. Bring bottled water, a lot of it.
2. Bring bags of almonds, cashews, and peanuts to snack on in the parks.
3. Bring protein bars.
4. Skip the outlets. Skip the shopping.
5. Enjoy walking the great Disney resorts, including the Boardwalk.
6. Ride the cool transportation, like the Skyliner, Monorails, Boats (skip the buses when you can ;-).
7. Don't share lunch, get a full meals -- skipping lunch will only make you crave expensive snacks.

Enjoy!!

Hi!
Staying onsite absolutely has its perks, but Pop isn't all that special in and of itself. Since you have a car, perhaps consider half the week at the Pop /choose carefully what days will benefit your park days most -- then spend the rest of the week in an off-site. Your money goes farther off-site ... we're getting a 4-bedroom townhouse just off the property for $200/night.

Skip the outlet stores. What's the point of souvenirs anyway? They just clutter up the house until they become next year's yard sale fodder.

Since you're two adults, I'd plan to pack the park days and "Go Commando". Do as much as you can and get as much mileage out of those tickets as possible.

Activities & ways to save money:
- Be sure you pack basics like good socks, Tylenol and sunscreen. These things are quite expensive at Disney.
- Watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the Polynesian beach.
- Ice cream at Beaches & Cream.
- Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge are worth a walk-through.
- Lots to do for free at Disney Springs.
- Consider ordering children's meals. They're considerably cheaper and all I really want in the heat.
- Carry snacks with you in the parks.
- The cheapest purchased meal you can have at Disney is pizza delivered to your room.
- Do sit down for lunch and dinner in the parks. You'll benefit from the rest and air conditioning ... but make your meals quick and cheap. Inexpensive in-park meals aren't special, and they take you away from the park activities (for which you've paid so much).
- Pools and hot tubs at your resort.
Chicken Guy and Earl of Sandwich are the best deals at DS IMO. I'd skip the outlets.
Join the online Earl of Sandwich loyalty club for a good discount.
Same thing: Join the Sprinkles Cupcakes loyalty club for a free cupcake.
Don't drink alcohol or soda/water only.
Since you're driving, bring your own sale-purchased drinks from home.
Don't carry heavy bottles of water in the park; instead, ask any counter service restaurant for a free cup of ice water.

Good ideas @MrsPete!

We wear Bombas (merino wool) or SmartWool socks. Expensive, yes! Worth the comfort, yes! Buy a multi pack men's extra large (they run small IMO). Cotton socks are ill fitting and just plain irritating.

I always bring Dr Scholls moleskin (off brands are terrible!) and a small $Store scissor (kid's dept). Keep this in your park backpack.

$Store often has brand name cans or bottles of coffee. We bought two cases of Starbucks (reg $4 can) in vanilla and mocha for $1.25 a can. WAY cheaper than two coffees for $12-18! Tuck a couple in your backpack.

Enjoy your trip!

Good ideas @MrsPete!

We wear Bombas (merino wool) or SmartWool socks. Expensive, yes! Worth the comfort, yes! Buy a multi pack men's extra large (they run small IMO). Cotton socks are ill fitting and just plain irritating.

I always bring Dr Scholls moleskin (off brands are terrible!) and a small $Store scissor (kid's dept). Keep this in your park backpack.

$Store often has brand name cans or bottles of coffee. We bought two cases of Starbucks (reg $4 can) in vanilla and mocha for $1.25 a can. WAY cheaper than two coffees for $12-18! Tuck a couple in your backpack.

Enjoy your trip!
Totally correct about only Dr. Scholls moleskin. I never get blisters but a badly broken ankle now has created goofy pressure points on the ball of foot (everything shifted) and moleskin has been a lifesaver...especially at Disney. Even though I always travel with small scissors, I precut several moleskin, sounding the edges, and even toss an extra one in my backpack. Certainly has saved the day.

A savings tip: We rarely buy dessert at any sit down dinner (even back home we 'try' to watch sugar and calories, aside from $). At Disney, I justify buying a Frozen Banana at a park that sells them (AK & MK have been successful). Not only do I love but so much cheaper than formal dessert and at least it's a banana plus nuts (aside from the chocolate) and I feel at least slightly more nutritious.

i would consider just adding another day park entry to your trip. We ended up spending way more money on our resort days buying stuff we didn't really need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter