• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last minute trip and lots questions

lmmantini

Mouseketeer
We are experienced DW vacationers, but not DL. Have only been to DL one other time, but not recently. Planning a last minute trip and will be there 2/28-3/3. I'm very much a planner so I'm already a wreck that we have 2 weeks to figure it all out. Our party will consist of me, DD16, and my best friend.

I haven't purchased our tickets yet. I have a Disney account and the app on my phone. If I buy tickets and they are connected to my account how do they each get their tickets? Do I have to have them sign in to my account from their phones too?

Should we get MaxPass if crowd levels are 2, 3, 4, and 8 on the days we are there? Can we get it just for the day crowd levels will be an 8 or do you have to get it every day?

I'm used to DW dining where you have to make reservations well in advance for table service meals. At this point we don't have any reservations and I have no idea even where to eat. Do I need them? Can we wing it and still get a same day reservation?

Any restaurant recommendations? I'm only 3 weeks in to WWs and doing well so I don't really want to blow it on fried foods and french fries.

I don't see any parades or fireworks on the calendar. Did they do away with them?

Is FP a good idea for Fantasmic? How is the viewing area? Is it the same show as DW?

Is there any special that we should do? It is HIGHLY unlikely that we will be back anytime soon. The only reason we are going is because we're going to be in Vegas and the flight from Vegas to Long Beach was really cheap so we figured why not while we're on the west coast (we're from the east coast).

ETA: How does EMH work? Do we only get to choose one or can we do both during the time we are there?

Thank you!

I can comment on a few of your questions but not all. Hope you have fun!!

Crowd levels of 2,3 and 4 are not reliable and do not expect the parks to be low crowds when you are there. We go around the same time of year and every time we come back it's busier and busier so I'd be prepared to use maxpass to get the most out of your day if you can afford it.

We only make a few dining reservations for character meals and anything like Blue Bayou - sometimes we make them the day before or day of for anything else. If you plan on a WOC or F! reservation I'd recommend booking in advance.

There are no fireworks or parades when you are going - the entire main street, hub and town square are walled up right now while the tracks are replaced. Bummer I know - we are there from March 2-10th.

If you are staying onsite then EMH is available Sat/Tues/Thurs at Disneyland Park and Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri at Disney California Adventure.

I'll be there that same week!

Parades and Fireworks - There are none for this time frame since Main Street is under construction in DL and they're getting ready for Pixar Fest in DCA. There is World of Color in DCA which I highly recommend (you can get a FP or they have a dessert package where you get seated at tables). From what I understand Fantasmic is quite different from the WDW version - The Fantasmic FP's don't count against your ability to get other FPs so it can't hurt to grab one. Or, if you're planning to dine at Blue Bayou, Riverbelle Terrace, or Hungry Bear already you might consider seeing if any Fantasmic Dining Packages are available.

Food and Wine fest will be going on in DCA starting Friday March 2. That's a special event that might be worth checking out (although you're probably used to Epcot F&W so it might be a let down compared to that). Mini Gay Days is Saturday 3/3 so you may see lots of people in red shirts and some special photo ops around the park but that shouldn't be a huge interruption to a normal park day.

I'd focus on the rides and shows unique to DL/DCA since you'll likely not be back - Carsland in DCA, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. And then Indiana Jones, Pirates (DL version is much longer/different), Matterhorn, Mr. Toad, etc. in DL. Show wise - I think Mickey and the Magical Map is a lot of fun and a great way to take a break in the middle of the day. There's also the Frozen musical in DCA if you like Broadway style productions.

If you're staying at a Disney property you get EMH each morning of your stay. The EMH alternates between DCA and DL each morning so check the schedule. If you're staying off site and pre-buy certain tickets you are eligible for a Magic Morning, which is only valid for early entry to Disneyland on certain days - https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/early-admission-options/

The good thing about Disneyland is you can wing it a lot easier than WDW! There's tons of good counter service options for food so you don't *need* dining reservations unless you really want to eat at a certain table service restaurant. Fast passes are only available day of so no pre-planning there either. You guys will have a great time! :)

We are experienced DW vacationers, but not DL. Have only been to DL one other time, but not recently. Planning a last minute trip and will be there 2/28-3/3. I'm very much a planner so I'm already a wreck that we have 2 weeks to figure it all out. Our party will consist of me, DD16, and my best friend.

I haven't purchased our tickets yet. I have a Disney account and the app on my phone. If I buy tickets and they are connected to my account how do they each get their tickets? Do I have to have them sign in to my account from their phones too?

Should we get MaxPass if crowd levels are 2, 3, 4, and 8 on the days we are there? Can we get it just for the day crowd levels will be an 8 or do you have to get it every day?

I'm used to DW dining where you have to make reservations well in advance for table service meals. At this point we don't have any reservations and I have no idea even where to eat. Do I need them? Can we wing it and still get a same day reservation?

Any restaurant recommendations? I'm only 3 weeks in to WWs and doing well so I don't really want to blow it on fried foods and french fries.

I don't see any parades or fireworks on the calendar. Did they do away with them?

Is FP a good idea for Fantasmic? How is the viewing area? Is it the same show as DW?

Is there any special that we should do? It is HIGHLY unlikely that we will be back anytime soon. The only reason we are going is because we're going to be in Vegas and the flight from Vegas to Long Beach was really cheap so we figured why not while we're on the west coast (we're from the east coast).

ETA: How does EMH work? Do we only get to choose one or can we do both during the time we are there?

Thank you!
Where will you be staying?

The dates you'll be there run into a Non-Disney event "Mini Gay Days". I'd expect the days leading up to the event to build with crowds.
By the way I'm not worried about the crowds. I'll be there with my DGS-25 and his fiance DGD-25 Feb 27th to March 2nd.

If you purchase your tickets from the booth they will not have a Magic Morning. MM only comes with tickets purchased prior to arrival.
If you're staying on-site this doesn't matter. Disney hotel guests get Early Entry.

I really like MaxPass. If budget isn't an issue go for it! Wednesday and Thursday you might do fine with the traditional FP's. For Busy days it really helps navigate the rides. Plus all the photos you can collect.

Advance Dining Reservations (ADR's) for a busy weekend will be necessary for the popular locations. Especially Fantasmic!, Blue Bayou is currently showing No Openings.

Since Main Street has the major construction project in full swing, no fireworks or parades are scheduled.
You'll have to catch the WOC in DCA.

You ask about EMH...
Disneyland has Early Entry (EE) for all Disney hotel guests.
Disneyland Park's EE days are Tues, Thur and Sat. DCA Park's EE days are Sun, Mon, Wed and Fri.

Disneyland offers Magic Morning (MM) with multi-day tickets purchased inadvance.
MM is ONLY at Disneyland Park. The only way to get in an hour early to DCA is to be a Guest of one of the Disney hotels.
MM days are the same as EE.

Geemo

We are not staying onsite, but will be buying 4 day park hopper tickets so if I understand it correctly we can choose one magic morning either Thursday or Saturday, correct? That probably means it would be best to use it on our last day because the extra magic hour is at 7, although we are taking the red-eye home that night so it will be a LONG day.

Magic Morning in Disneyland is Tues Thurs Saturday
Search LMTCLUB to buy your tickets it will save you money and you can preload them on to your app.
Get a FP for Fantasmic!
A FP For World of color is a must (Best show ever) Or book a world of color dining package.
I like the clam chowder in a bread bowl in the pacific wharf area. I always bring bread home on the plane for my family.

We are not staying onsite, but will be buying 4 day park hopper tickets so if I understand it correctly we can choose one magic morning either Thursday or Saturday, correct? That probably means it would be best to use it on our last day because the extra magic hour is at 7, although we are taking the red-eye home that night so it will be a LONG day.

We are in the same boat and are choosing to use our MM on the Thursday since it is the shorter of the two days, and we'll likely be tired Saturday morning from staying in the parks late on Friday evening. The 7am MM shouldn't be as crowded but if you're planning to stay till close on Friday and then all the way to close at midnight on Saturday that makes for some very long days on not a lot of sleep.

EDIT - I just looked at the park hours again and Thursday 03/01 the Magic Morning is also at 7am. Regular park hours for that day are 8am-8pm.

I'd go with MM on Thursday at 7am and book a Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn for 7am on Saturday.
When you have an ADR before the park opens to the public, you get in early to go to your reservation.

When we have saved MM for our last day, everyone is too tired to get up. Especially for a 7am MM.
I feel Thursday's MM won't be as busy as Saturdays.

Geemo

I'll address the WW question. I, too, am planning on making mostly wise choices. I've seen a lot of seafood (I know I'm planning to get salmon at BB), an egg white and spinach frittata (at Carnation Café, I think) and some vegetable dishes that sound good. Just make sure that the zero point seafood/chicken isn't smothered in cream sauce or fried and you should be fine. Also, stick to wine in lieu of sugary drinks. Soups are great choices, as long as they are broth-based and not cream-based (clam chowder in a bread bowl is probably 6000 points.), They have delicious fruit throughout the park - people rave about the pineapple spears. and I think a Dole Whip (not a Dole Float) is only 5 sps!

Dining reservations at DLR aren't as hard to get as they are at WDW, but I would still make them if you know you want to eat somewhere specific. Depending on the crowds, they might accept walk-ups, but it can be a long wait. I've also been there when they were turning away walk-ups. Things like Blue Bayou and the dining and dessert packages, almost always fill up (no walk-ups). You can often find same day reservations, but not for all places. It's pretty hit or miss. I would start looking now to be safe. My family's favorite places include Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, River Belle Terrace, Storytellers, and Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (check Open Table for this one). DLR also has a number of pretty good CS locations (e.g., Red Rose Tavern, French Market, Plaza Inn). I've not used WW, so I can't really comment on whether there are ww-approved options at any of these locations.

Yes, I would highly recommend getting a FP for F!. The show is not the same one that is being presented at DHS. This show has some elements that are similar and the overall story is similar, but the individual scenes and characters are different. DHS has a much better seating arrangement for the show, but the DLR show has better elements (the Columbia - although this was better in the old show, Mark Twain, the dragon!).

I think you can get by without MaxPass, but it really depends on your group. If you have someone that likes to be the FP runner, then it would probably work out to forgo it. If not, MaxPass is probably the better route to go. It also includes PhotoPass, which is nice.

Regarding your tickets: You only have to use the app for first entry (or you can print the tickets). At first entry you will each be given paper tickets and you can use either the paper tickets or the phone for entry from that point on. So everyone can scan in on the first day using your phone and use paper tickets thereafter, or they can scan their paper tickets into their own apps, or everyone can sign into your account - it all works.

MaxPass: I would probably opt for MaxPass for your group if possible simply because you're not familiar with the layout of the parks and the locations of the kiosks. If you use a FP runner, make it whoever has the best sense of direction and make sure they have a map. I've never been to WDW but I've heard some people get turned around when visiting their non-home park because the layouts are similar but a bit different. But you don't need MP, it's mostly a convenience thing and it makes it so you can better optimize FP. It's easy to add day-to-day so if you start off without it and you hate going to kiosks, you can add it, or if you only want it on certain days you can add it only on those days (unless you pre-purchase it in which case it has to be for every day).

Dining reservations: If there's anywhere you really want to eat, I wouldn't count on being able to walk up and get a table or being able to get a same-day reservation (sometimes you can, sometimes you can't). If you don't really care where you eat you will probably be able to get a reservation somewhere day-of but day before would be a better bet (people have to cancel the day before to avoid getting charged so reservations sometimes open up). Disneyland also has decent counter service so we typically only book an ADR if there's somewhere specific we want to go, and otherwise we just do counter service so we can wing it.

I’ll second last minute travel club tickets.

French market
Bengal bbq
Boardwalk pizza & pasta
Veggie sandwich at award wieners.

Are you thinking about a Fantasmic! Blue Bayou Dinner package?
I have been watching ADR's this afternoon and evening and have manage to snag this...
Wednesday Feb 28th @ 4:40pm for 3pp Blue Bayou Fantasmic! Dinner Package

If you're interested let me know and we can set a time for me to cancel and you to pick it up.
I've done this other times for people trying for specific ADR's.

Geemo

I'll address the WW question. I, too, am planning on making mostly wise choices. I've seen a lot of seafood (I know I'm planning to get salmon at BB), an egg white and spinach frittata (at Carnation Café, I think) and some vegetable dishes that sound good. Just make sure that the zero point seafood/chicken isn't smothered in cream sauce or fried and you should be fine. Also, stick to wine in lieu of sugary drinks. Soups are great choices, as long as they are broth-based and not cream-based (clam chowder in a bread bowl is probably 6000 points.), They have delicious fruit throughout the park - people rave about the pineapple spears. and I think a Dole Whip (not a Dole Float) is only 5 sps!

I suggest you look over the menus on the Disney site. This way, not only you will be able to see how the food is made, but the cost. There's lots of fresh fruit and vegetables throughout the parks and DTD. You can eat as healthy or junky as you please! In my humble opinion, on the day you use MM, make a ressie for Carnation Cafe for a late breakfast, or an early lunch. The food is really good.

Have lots of fun.

For healthy snacks I second the idea of fresh fruit. The pineapple is amazing. I also like the giant dill pickles. Bengal BBQ may be a good option as well. They have veggie and chicken skewers. Jolly Holiday has some very good salads, and you can ask for the dressing on the side. Carnation Cafe (TS) has a breakfast dish that looks pretty healthy -- it's an egg white fritata (and they are mickey shaped!).

You can link all the tickets onto one account and once your tickets are scanned at the turnstile, they’ll give each person a regular paper ticket to use the rest of the time.

You don’t have to get Maxpass every day. You have 2 options on how to buy Maxpass: When you buy your tickets, you can add Maxpass but if you do it then, you have to buy it for every day. You can also choose to not add Maxpass to your tickets when you buy them and once you enter the park each day, you can buy Maxpass for just that day. I would definitely get Maxpass on the 8 crowd level day. The other days, it depends more on what you care about most. A big advantage of Maxpass is getting a new Fastpass every 90 minutes (instead of 2 hours with regular Fastpass)- but if the crowd levels are low enough that most rides return times aren’t even 90 minutes ahead anyway, Maxpass wouldn’t have so much of an advantage in that way (but if the return time is in less than 30 minutes, and you use the Fastpass before 30 minutes have passed, you can get a new one immediately.) It is always nice to not need to walk around everywhere to get new Fastpasses no matter what time of day it is. It’s nice on a crowded day to be able to reserve a Fastpass at your hotel so you can take a nap (you can reserve from your hotel as long as you’ve entered the park that day already.) but you need to get a Fastpass for hours ahead to have time to take a nap. So, you couldn’t take advantage of getting Fastpasses while at your hotel if the return times are so soon that you’ll still be napping. It’s your choice. If you choose to do it some days and not all, do the busiest days.

You might as well get Fastpass for Fantasmic. Fastpass for Fantasmic is disconnected from everything else (So, you could get a Space Mountain Fastpass and immediately get a Fantasmic Fastpass or vice versa.). Just remember, Fantasmic is not on Maxpass so you do have to go to the Fastpass kiosk no matter what for FP for Fantasmic.

For Extra Magic Hours, it depends on whether or not you stay in one of the 3 Disney owned hotels. If you are staying in a Disney hotel, you can take advantage of extra magic hours any day that they are happening (and you need valid park admission for the day to get in). If you are not staying in a Disney hotel, but you have a 3 day or more ticket (so you would be eligible), you can enter for EMH once at Disneyland Park, and you can’t take advantage of it at California Adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter