• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

last minute shopper: wii?

Dashzap

DIS Veteran
OKay, okay, I'm a little late starting my Christmas shopping this year. I was walking past a Nintendo demo booth this week and fell in love with Mario Galaxy.

Only problem is, we don't have a wii. I'm sure my kids would love one. Do I really have to shell out $550 and camp out all night in front of a store to get one???

Will the basic console run Mario Galaxy? Or do I have to invest in more software?

No, the wii console will support mario galaxy.
Might want to get an extra controller to play future games with for 2 players and such =]

I believe Mario Galaxy was made specifically for the Wii gaming system, which means it won't play on any other...

As to camping out... I think that was only last year's demand bc Wii was brand new at the time (yeah... we did the whole camping out thing... lol). I would *think* you'd be able to buy them in stores. I've seen the Wii available everywhere all summer.... but who knows now that it's Christmas... some stores may be out of stock... but I don't think you'll have to camp out. Spend $350? YES! Camp out? NO!

And by the way, Wii is FUN!! I even enjoy playing tennis on it... it gives you a good work-out :rolleyes1

550...? There is only one version of the Wii, a $250 version. If you have trouble finding one try asking someone there when they get the next shipment. I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart gets them each Sunday morning.

We got zsmile's at Wal Mart-$286 and it had two of each controls-you definitely want the two controls! They have them on the shelves here all over the place and you will love it!!! We just got the Mario galaxy but it is for Hanukah so I can't tell you how it is until Tuesday but the Wii totally rocks!

You all must live in some very rural areas to still have Wiis in stock around you. I got one yesterday because I got to Best Buy at 6 AM, so I would say yeah, be prepared to get there early and stand in line, but as was stated earlier, you definitely shouldn't have to pay more than $300, depending on what kinds of accessories you get.

the rules of buying the wii
they are 250 alone
they are never ever ever in stock
you have to be lucky to get one or camp out
or if all else fails you could buy one off ebay for 350

I think she's going to pay at least double on eBay. ;)

But when I went to get my nephew's Wii in April...

I woke up at un ungodly hour on a Sunday and got to Wal-Mart, and still had
people waiting in front of me. But at least it was only 6 people. I can't
imagine that I'd have any luck getting on doing that now unless I camped
out.

Dashzap and I both live in the greater Chicagoland area, so I'm sure it will
be the same for her, as well. :(

lol, no way. not paying more. :rotfl:

I *may* be inspired to camp out to get one next week. On the other hand, I may buy Mario Galaxy and wrap it with a post it that the wii is coming. My kids are old enough now to deal with a wait.

Camp out this Sunday, get yourself a Wii, then camp out next Sunday, get yourself another Wii, sell it on eBay for $500 and you basically just got yourself a free Wii. Hard work camping out, but it'll pay off ;) . There's still plenty of time until Christmas...

you never have to camp anymore NitendoWorld stroes always have them we have 1 here in manhatten and i believe there all around or you can just order 1 for one of there stores hope this helps

you never have to camp anymore NitendoWorld stroes always have them we have 1 here in manhatten and i believe there all around or you can just order 1 for one of there stores hope this helps

NintendoWorld is a one of a kind store, there in NYC. They have Wii, but on a first come, first served basis. I don't think it's possible for us to take advantage of their daily shipments. Nice thought, though. ;)

Like I said before, try finding out when they get there. I pretty much always see them there on Sundays.

I just purchased a Wii about a month ago for my daughter for Christmas... If you go online to Walmart's website, you can see what stores in your area have the item in stock.

You'll have to put in your zip code and the stores that have them will come up..usually it says "item unavailable" but they update their inventory every night and when they receive their shipment it will show how many they have available.. make sure you get to the store that day. I lucked out and got the first one off the truck - I'm not sure if it will be harder to get now that it's closer to Christmas, but I checked the Walmart website for a few days after I bought one just to see how fast they sell out and some of the stores still had them in stock for a couple of days after they received their shipments.

Good luck!

I have heard a few times in different regions (I answer calls in a phone center) but I have heard that Toys R Us stores have been known to have them sitting there, sometimes Target stores (who apparantly get alot more than many stores). Another suggestion is try to check out the early edition sunday papers that come out saturday night in your area. Rumor has it there may be something next week ;)

here is a list of things you might want to by with the wii

Wii: $250
Mario Galexy: $50
Extra Controler: $45
1GB memory card (standard SD) $15

overall $360

ok dont take my word for this but i heard if you buy a resevation type thing for a wii the 20 or 21 at gamestop and pay it off that day you should get one gerenteid by jan 25

ask about it at a game stop near you

I've lost momentum on shopping for the wii. My brother may have run one down for me, though.

If you even mention needing a Wii in my state people laugh at you.
yet people are selling them for rediculous prices on Craigslist.
There are a few reasonably priced ones there though check craigslist in your area under toys/games you might just find one there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter