• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last-Minute Resort Change -- Advice Please!

WayneWatsonFan

Earning My Ears
OK, so we are set to stay at All-Star Music Jan 9 thru 13, 4 nights, with 4 day Park Hopper tix.
It's myself and my two teenage children (daughter 19yo, son 16yo), and we are fine keeping our original reservations, but wanted to look into what options were out there last minute.
Talked to a Disney customer service rep this morning about what resorts are open and available those 4 days.
Here are the options, priced low to high with the total amount I'd pay to upgrade to each right now:
1. Coronado Springs - standard $384.
2. Port Orleans Riverside - pool view $469.
3. Caribbean Beach Resort - pirate room $648.
4. Fort Wilderness Cabins $1061.
5. Wilderness Lodge $1246.
6. Animal Kingdom Lodge $1442.
7. Polynesian $1685.

Any advice/recommendation on making this change and which resort would give us the most bang for the buck and best experience would be greatly appreciated!
:confused3
Thanks!

Just my opinion, but I would stay put. I think it is natural to second guess your resort decision (I know I always do until we get there), but I would stay right where you are. I think for a 4-night trip, some of those upgrade costs are crazy.

How much time are you going to be in the room or at the resort? I would probably stay with the original reservation if you plan to mostly be at the parks all day. If you plan to have a lot of down time at your resort, then you might want to upgrade, but I would base it on what each resort would offer your family that you know you would take advantage of.

My choice would be Poly if you can check on that upgrade cost and what you are getting. It seems very high. Is that for just a garden room? TPV? Or CL maybe?

For my family personally, a very important factor for us is sleeping arrangements -- how many beds and are they comfortable... I'm not sure what is important to you guys or even if you are planning to be at your resort very much. Again, just for our family personally, we enjoy resort time, so our resort is pretty important to us.

As far as sleeping arrangements, we are a family of 4 and our kids need to be spread out a bit. So we always stay away from the rooms with just 2 beds. In your case, not sure how you feel with 1 teen girl, 1 teen boy, and 1 adult. If it matters to you guys:

Poly has a daybed, so essentially 3 beds = 1 bed for each of you:).

The Cabins would give each of you guys a bed, I believe. You'd have to check on that though. We have never stayed at the Cabins but are always intrigued by them. They are pretty spread out -- I think a lot of walking and some sort of bus system just for the inside of Fort Wilderness. That is what kills it for us.

WL and AKL are both great -- love the themes and beauty. Rooms are very small -- if you got a bunk room I'm not sure if your kids would fit in the beds. I am an adult (5'1") and did fit in the bottom bunk but it was very uncomfortable. Otherwise, you'd get 2 queens I believe.

We have stayed in a pirate room at CBR and it was cute but small and we found it to be very removed from the main building. It wasn't very convenient to fill our mugs, etc.

I would upgrade to CSR based on larger bed sizes and nicer pool. I don't know if any of you work out, but there is also a fitness center at CSR. Also, lots of food options.

How much time are you going to be in the room or at the resort? I would probably stay with the original reservation if you plan to mostly be at the parks all day. If you plan to have a lot of down time at your resort, then you might want to upgrade, but I would base it on what each resort would offer your family that you know you would take advantage of.

Thanks for all the great input so far, guys. Much appreciated.

In regards to what tobikaye said: That's the thing, the three of us are pretty much planning to be in the parks from open to close, if possible. That's probably the reason we picked ASMusic when we made our reservations so long ago.

OK, so we are set to stay at All-Star Music Jan 9 thru 13, 4 nights, with 4 day Park Hopper tix.
It's myself and my two teenage children (daughter 19yo, son 16yo), and we are fine keeping our original reservations, but wanted to look into what options were out there last minute.
Talked to a Disney customer service rep this morning about what resorts are open and available those 4 days.
Here are the options, priced low to high with the total amount I'd pay to upgrade to each right now:
1. Coronado Springs - standard $384.
2. Port Orleans Riverside - pool view $469.
3. Caribbean Beach Resort - pirate room $648.
4. Fort Wilderness Cabins $1061.
5. Wilderness Lodge $1246.
6. Animal Kingdom Lodge $1442.
7. Polynesian $1685.

Any advice/recommendation on making this change and which resort would give us the most bang for the buck and best experience would be greatly appreciated!
:confused3
Thanks!

For the price, I would upgrade to either CSR or POR. The rooms and beds are so much more comfortable. Especially after a long day at the park, I want a comfortable, quiet place to sleep. The CBR pirate rooms are too much of a trek and the others are far too much to justify the jump in price IMHO. Too much construction going on at Poly to spend an extra $1600! If you want to consider another one, I would do WL simply for proximity to MK.

Did you do your original booking under the Late Winter room-only offer or Play, Stay, Dine? If so, I would call back and make sure that discount was applied when you were quoted the prices above. Although the offer expired (so you can't get it now if you didn't book it originally), if it's attached to the original booking, they will still honor it on a resort change based on availability.

The Cabins would give each of you guys a bed, I believe. You'd have to check on that though. We have never stayed at the Cabins but are always intrigued by them. They are pretty spread out -- I think a lot of walking and some sort of bus system just for the inside of Fort Wilderness. That is what kills it for us.

Yes to pretty much everything.

Each cabin will have a bedroom with a twin bed, a bunk bed, and a TV. in the middle of the cabin, there's the bathroom, a full kitchen (full sized fridge with icemaker, full sized oven and cooktop, toaster, microwave, coffee maker, dishwasher), dining table. In the front is a living room with a sofa, another TV, and a fold-down double bed. Outside, there's a large wooden deck, maybe 20 by 20, with a charcoal grill. (The Trading Post sells charcoal, and fixings for burgers or hot dogs.)

So it's a heck of a "hotel room".

And it's really quiet. The woods just soak up noise. And your "hotel room" doesn't touch anybody else's room. Your closest neighbor is maybe 100 feet away, through the woods.

But, being all spread out like that comes with a price. Your cabin might be as far as a mile from the bus station, or the boat dock for the boat ride over to MK.

To solve that, Disney runs buses back and forth, within the campground, taking people back and forth between the entrance and bus stop, the Trading Post (which also has several other activities, like the main pool), and the boat dock (which also has several things, like three places to eat)., and their cabins.

So, you may have to wait 5 minutes or so, to catch a bus, just to take you to the entrance to your "hotel", so to speak.

Or, many people rent golf carts, to get around the campground. ($60 a day, for a four person golf cart.)

WL and AKL are both great -- love the themes and beauty. Rooms are very small -- if you got a bunk room I'm not sure if your kids would fit in the beds. I am an adult (5'1") and did fit in the bottom bunk but it was very uncomfortable. Otherwise, you'd get 2 queens I believe.

Also agreed. WL and AKL are very magical places to stay. (To me, walking into the lobby at WL is one of those great moments that says "You're at Disney.) WL has the quiet, outdoorsey feel of the cabins, but it's not all spread out. The rooms are quite a bit smaller. (But then, all standard, non-suite, rooms are quite a bit smaller than the cabins.)

And WL also shares the same ability to take the boat to MK, (Actually, it's the same boat, just goes to both places.), which is also one of the things that really "makes" a stay at Disney. To me, leaving the park and getting on that boat, as it chugs across the lake, is just a really great transition from the bustle and crowds to the quiet of the "wilderness".

To me, AKL seems almost as quiet. Rather similar atmosphere. (I understand the same architect designed both of them). And it's got the animals. (If your room has the appropriate view.)

All three of those, to me, are pretty magical vacations.

Me, I'd really prefer the Cabins, or WL, with AKL being in third place.

But is it worth the extra money, for your family? I can't say. If the only thing you're going to be doing at the resort is the pool and the bed, ASMu might be just perfect. (In fact, the pool at ASMu will be better than at the Cabins. The pools at the cabins are just pools, (And they may be a bus or golf cart ride away), although the main pool does have a water slide.)

Browsing the photos on Disney's web site, and deciding if the ambiance resonates with you, might be a good idea. Those places certainly do have atmosphere.

For the price, I would upgrade to either CSR or POR. The rooms and beds are so much more comfortable. Especially after a long day at the park, I want a comfortable, quiet place to sleep. The CBR pirate rooms are too much of a trek and the others are far too much to justify the jump in price IMHO. Too much construction going on at Poly to spend an extra $1600! If you want to consider another one, I would do WL simply for proximity to MK.

Did you do your original booking under the Late Winter room-only offer or Play, Stay, Dine? If so, I would call back and make sure that discount was applied when you were quoted the prices above. Although the offer expired (so you can't get it now if you didn't book it originally), if it's attached to the original booking, they will still honor it on a resort change based on availability.

Looking back, I booked this package on Oct 27, 2014, and the confirmation email says it's under the "Magic Your Way Package". Any idea what that discount was, in general? And I would have to call and check to see if that discount was applied to the quotes I was given today? Makes me wonder if they were now, as the first reply to my post pointed out that those numbers seemed very high...

Far as I'm aware, "Magic Your Way" simply means it's a room + ticket package. It doesn't say what kinds of discounts you might have had.

I would upgrade to CSR based on larger bed sizes and nicer pool. I don't know if any of you work out, but there is also a fitness center at CSR. Also, lots of food options.

Ditto this. CSR is described by many as the WDW Deluxe Lite Resort, and for good reason. I'd grab one of those rooms for the extra $390. While you are at it, you might as well inquire into how much a CSR Business Class room is and I would even suggest that booking if it would be a $500 ish up-cost (rather than $390).

For the length you are staying and with 2 teens, I would change to POR... beds are way more comfy, rooms a bit more spacious, awesome food court, fun lounge/lobby, beautiful grounds, HOT TUB for soaking after long park days and boat to DTD. :thumbsup2

For that kind of money for just a short visit just stay put. Don't second guess your original decision and just go with it and enjoy. You will be in disney no matter where you put your head down at night.

If you're good with 2 double beds stay put. If you'd prefer 2 queen beds move to CSR or POR .

Stay put. You're basically going to be sleeping in the room and not much more. You said yourself you'll be at the parks open to close. And teenagers can sleep anywhere!!!

Think of the money you're saving by staying put and use it for something else fun--special dinner, extra souvenir, etc. Not worth $400 to $1600 more just for a bigger bed!

I'd stay put and bring a twin air mattress so everyone has their own bed. I have 17 year old boy/girl twins and have been using an air mattress at Disney for years.

Every family is different -- you guys can decide if 2 beds are sufficient for you. For us, we definitely need the extra bed. I like the idea suggested above about the air mattress -- I've always thought about it but was never quite sure what exactly will fit in my luggage and if I can still manage the 4 free pieces of luggage with the air mattress considered....

In any event, if you guys indeed are going to be at the parks from opening to closing each day, then I'd just stick with what you have -- the reservation you currently have sounds like it would work just fine for what you need it for.

Just got back (4 hours ago!) and stayed at ASMusic one night then moved to CSR for 5 days. It was my dd20, ds18 and myself. ASMusic has a cute theme and our room was clean and functional. However, we found a huge difference in the beds from ASMusic and CSR. The queen beds were far more comfortable than the full size and we just had more room in the room itself. The resort was much quieter and the food was better. If you will spend most of your time at the parks then staying put may make more sense, but if you need a good nights sleep after that long day in the park and can make the move to CSR I'd do it in a heartbeat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter