• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last Minute Gift Ideas for Stage IV Mom

bluerendezvous

DIS Veteran
Please, please help me! My mom has stage IV kidney cancer. Her eyesight is failing. I absolutely can not figure out anything for her for Christmas. She needs nothing. Ideas, please?

Some nice skincare products, or some clothing that she might like. It doesn't have to be something she NEEDS, just something she'll ENJOY. A talking book maybe???

What about an ipod and download some audio-books and music for her to listen to.

My mom is in a similar situation this year, bedridden under hospice care with end-stage dementia. Things we are giving her this year are a wonderfully warm, soft blanket (she gets cold easily), some lotion that smells nice, fuzzy socks, her favorite candies, some CD's that she can listen to when she is having a bad vision day, and an audio book. We tried to focus on things she could use immediately that would give her some comfort.

Bless you and your mom... this Christmas will be difficult for those of us facing the possibility of a last Christmas with someone we love. I'll be thinking of you. :hug:

Thank y'all so much. I think I'll go with the audio books idea. She does get cold easily. What about an electric blanket? As you can see, we live in S. Mississippi and don't have any use for electric blankets here.

Spa day, mani/pedi, maybe have a stylist come to the house for beauty treatments if she's up for not going out.

I hope your whole family enjoys the holiday together.

My grandmother died about 3 weeks after Christmas last year -- she had been bedridden and deteriorating for the past year. Various levels of consciousness, almost no vision left, etc.

I ended up getting her lotion (just Aveeno for sensitive skin -- was afraid any of the smelly stuff might cause a reaction of some kind) and made her a rice warmer for her feet. We also got her flowers often... even though she couldn't SEE them, the nurses would set them next to her bed & she could smell them.

If you have children, what about having them read her a story. I know Hallmark has books (mostly Christmas) that you can read/record with your own voice. Maybe some CDs (or an iPod) with her favorite music so it can help her relax.

Wishing you and your family peace this holiday season. :hug:

I would get her a nice warm blanket, some fuzzy socks, some oatmeal lotion, some tactile things that will keep her senses sharp even without eye sight, and maybe some soothing CD music.

Prayers for your family...

Sadly, I am in the same situation as many of you. My dad has stage four cancer and we are trying to make this Christmas extra special. He can't drive now, but the his van that he rides in (mom drives) needed a good detailing so I took that in yesterday to have it done. I got him a gift card for additional washes. I got him a gift card to his favorite restaurant where he still goes, even though he just sits with the food in front of him. He's got an electric blanket that he loves, so for those of you considering it, it might be a good idea. I am toying with the idea of an IPad. It would be a way for him to check his email and whatnot without having to go to his desk or hold his heavy laptop.

For all of us, may this Christmas bring good days for those who are ill and memories for us all to cherish.

I would stay away from electric blankets, I don't feel they are very safe (depending on your mom's level of health) I would make her a no sew fleece blanket. They are super warm and easy to make (I have NO talent at all and can make them). Just be sure and get the good scissors to cut the fringe.

Does she have a favorite singer coming to town? Concert tickets might be a nice way to relax and have fun.
Perhaps a play?

Such an outpouring of kindness and warmth! I knew I could find answers here. Thank you so much.
Mom can only manage going out to the hospital everyday to get her treatments and fluids. After she gets back, she's exhausted. I'm trying so hard to be in good cheer and find the Christmas spirit. After all, she's still here. Thank you all for your kind words. They really do help.

PS Thanks so much for all the ideas, hugs, and prayers. Prayers for those of you dealing with similar situations. You really helped me today.

Please, please help me! My mom has stage IV kidney cancer. Her eyesight is failing. I absolutely can not figure out anything for her for Christmas. She needs nothing. Ideas, please?

Recorded books? Essentially it is a book, but it is read to them. I bet, she would even enjoy books read to her by her kids.

A list of appreciation.
When my oldest sister was dying I wrote her a list of "The 10 best things about Annie" with anecdotes from throughout her life. That touched her.
For your Mom if everybody who knows her can write or record some of the good things from her life would seem like the best possible present.

I don't know about your mom's mobility, but I would be careful with an electric blanket. It might cause burns if her skin is fragile or she falls asleep with it under her.

I love the list idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter