Last minute call for more $$$$$ ?!?Updated with Disney's Response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notified 10 days before the trip that you owe 3 grand?...That's ridiculous, imo....Disney should've eaten it....that money is a drop in the bucket to them.

Good evening Outlander, I would be happy to respond to your questions:
As I posted earlier, I did indeed call myself to recheck the rate at least 3 times, that is because when I attempted to apply my PIN code, I was given 3, yes, 3 different amounts for the same original booking( same specifics)within the same phone call.
I did hear they were having trouble with the Pluto pin code.
#1 -was at least $1500.00 more than the original $5999.00 ( supervisor at that time and I both suspected it was being applied over 2008 room rates which had been added in the system that very same day.)
It does sound like the newly added room rates were part of the problem.
#2 - around $ 5,700.00 - as I posted earlier( still wasn't a 40% discount based on room rate math. ( this is the amount that "reappeared "in their system this week, according to guest services)
I'm not surprised this is the one that showed up as it is the most logical one. The one thing about the codes is that they are not easy to figure out but you can tell by the whole package discount compared to rack rates that there is a discount. *To all those that don't understand codes and discounts and special offers* The prices all work out to about the same! Yes, some are a little better than others and you can save a few hundred here or there but you are going to pay around the same (less than full price rack rate) for any 'discount' package. 40% off does not mean you get 40% off of the final package value no matter what. If 'Sallydisney' pays the non-discount price of $4000 for her vacation and 'Susiedisneypincodequeen' uses the 40% off pincode, she does NOT automatically get the exact same package for $2000 less. It just doesn't work like that! What usually happens, is it works out that you get an upgraded room for standard room pricing or something similar.
#3 - was $ 3329.00? - I have no clue but that was my supposed final answer at the time I hung up, again, they only read what's on the screen so I had to go with it.
I agree, who wouldn't go with the cheaper one!? Of course, being half of the other quotes, you would (as you were) be suspicious and take all precautions with documentation. But you would know that the screenshot isn't going to be the saving grace from a $3000 undercharge.:teacher:

What I ended up with was around $2,800.00 on the website and all the confirmations they sent me.
How did it get down to $2800 from the already too low $3329? I'm lost there.

Yes, I suspected a system glitch, and I called to keep rechecking , at least 3 times over 1 month. What was I supposed to say to CRO outlander " Um, I think I owe you guys $3,000.00." In my book, they had the opportunity to "catch it".
No, I am not suggesting that you tell them you think you owe them $3000. You already knew that. My point was, at what point would it have been 'okay' for them to have found the error? If on the very first time that you called CRO they said 'I'm sorry, we've found an error on your account and you owe us $3000.' Would you have been as upset? You knew all along that it was a glitch and the possibility of them discovering it was very real. I am just trying to understand if it was the timing of the discovery by Disney or the discovery itself that is causing the grief.
Yes, I am upset with the problem itself, because I feel a company of that magnitude should have better quality control, and better IT systems for that matter. I have had no problems when I stay at Holiday Inn.For a company such as Disney that prides itself on how it runs its business, seems like way too many widespread problems, but that is just my opinion. If the DIS members are a very, very small sample size of Disney's customer base, and we hear of this many problems ( possibly recent, I haven't followed that long,) but from what I see people post, it seems it has started to deteriorate of late.
I see you answered my previous question here. Actually, I can't even begin to address your issue if you feel that a comparison of staying at a Holiday Inn is comparable to staying at Disney.

And , yes, I am the most upset about the very, very late notice, as well as the fact that, had I ,myself , not called concierge and CRO 3 days ago to find out where my final documents were, I would never have known about the "balance" until I was in Florida, standing at a check-in desk being humiliated and probably screaming my head off in front of my children and everyone else.
As I mentioned previously, it really is too bad that Disney didn't discover this sooner. My guess is, the final 'check' for them comes somewhere right about when the itineraries are being printed up. That is probably why you didn't get yours. That is only my assumption but really, knowing you had a glitch price, I think you should have suspected (as you did, otherwise you wouldn't have called AGAIN) that there was still a chance they were going to discover the error. Whether it was 45, 30, 10 days out or at check in, preparation for the inevitable would have saved a lot of headache and hassle.

To coin a phrase they are running it like a " Mickey Mouse" operation, pun intended.
And the vast majority of the time, things go perfectly smooth.

What if it was not me, who was "aware" it may have been a glitch, but some poor first timer, non-DISer, less educated, less enlightened to the "wonderful world of Disney", they would be scr***d. Call me Underdog if you want, but no business should run that way, let alone Disney. Yes, I hold them to a higher standard, I believe they like that position.
I hold them to a higher standard as well and nothing here has changed that for me. I think an unusual set of circumstances occurred here and both parties had a part in how things evolved.

And , don't get me wrong, I don't believe the whole corporation is that way, but when you have a single pivotal department, such as Central Reservations, and poor management in that area to boot, it will be the beginning of the end for them. Especially if all of the management above is not watching.
I see it as having helped WDW, free of charge of course, because if it is true that they monitor these boards, I have just done the job for them, that they actually pay someone who works for thewm to do....
What if I hadn't posted? Would the next person it happened to post? Would the problem get corrected?

So, You're welcome WDW.
I'm sure they appreciate all you've done for them.

Outlander, Quid Pro Quo? What would you have done?
I think you've got the idea by now of what I would have done. For those who don't want to read or like to draw conclusions, I'll outline it here:

If I decided I wanted to take advantage of the mistake, I would try to ride it as long as I could but I would fully, unquestionably, be prepared to pay the fair price. Even if it was 10 days away from my vacation. Even if it was at check-in.
This isn't like the wrong price ringing up at the registers at Target or a $25 or $50 difference at the Holiday Inn. It was a very large difference and the answer lies somewhere in the middle.
I have no doubt that Disney will make some compromises for you because unlike most people here, I still believe they want to try to make things right. Of course, just like in the news, it's the dirt that gets the headlines so I doubt we'll get much of the good of Disney. C'est la vie.

I truly hope you have a magical vacation with your family.:wizard:

I really do hate the "you should have known better" tone threads can take on and not just on the resorts board but others as well.

If you go to buy a Mercedes and they quote you the Yugo price, SHOULDN'T THAT SEND UP A FLAG TO YOU? I build complex IT systems for a living and things happen. I bet most folks on here never read the fine print of their contract (airline, hotel, whatever) which is there to cover these types of situations. The legal measure is "what is prudent". It's there to keep businesses from going bankrupt due to a such "glitches". It's not like Disney set out to improperly load their 2008 rates and cause problems. Disney has thousands of IT people and all it takes is one person to screw up. Yes they're a big bad corporation who makes lots of money but that doesn't mean that they should have any less protection - CAVEAT EMPTOR! The OP obviously knew something wasn't right because she called back THREE times to check to see if the mistake had been caught! If you take it to the extreme, what if everyone who booked on that day got the $1.00 fire sale rate? Should Disney have to honor that rate too?!

It's unfortunate that Disney didn't catch the error until 10 days before her trip but, as one person stated previously, at least they didn't catch it when she was checking in. I agree that Disney could have handled it better in terms of customer relations but that's an HR issue and falls outside of the contract terms.

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN! :rolleyes:

Yes, I suspected a system glitch, and I called to keep rechecking , at least 3 times over 1 month. What was I supposed to say to CRO outlander " Um, I think I owe you guys $3,000.00." In my book, they had the opportunity to "catch it".
The OP admitted they knew something was wrong with the rate. Although I do feel bad and do think Disney should honor the rate this close to time. The OP is not 100% unknowing. I certainly would not have notified them of their mistake, but I would have had a plan B for if or when they caught the mistake. I hope you still have a great trip, OP!

Have a fabulous trip, Twinybelles. :goodvibes

I, too, will be at Disney with my four year old twin girls that week. :cool1: :cool1:

I think everyone is missing the Point that it WAS NOT a Price To Good It was a 40% discount pin code sent to the OP not found here on the boards and try to slip it buy.

I agree there was a glitch but it seems to be after the fact (10days before or so) and wiped her 40% off. Now when they try to apply it there are no longer rooms avail so it doesn't take. If a balance was due at the 45day mark the ressie could have been cancled all together for none pay of balance . It was not and nothing sent according to OP.

I agree with the Bait and switch here because of computer issues and it would be taken higher up the chain after the trip.

Here's how I see it ... The OP said she originally booked the same package at $5999 before any discounts came out. Then she tried to apply the Pluto code and was quoted 3 different prices on the package she already booked. When she checked the website, an even lower price was quoted. She knew at the time that the deal was too good to be true, but she booked it. I think many of us would be tempted to book it too. I would have thought..."heck, this is really cheap, but I've never booked here before, so it must be legit". Just to make sure, I would have called. (In fact - I did the same thing once when I booked airfare that sounded too good to be true, I called to check).

I honestly think her reservation probably reverted back to the original reservation once the computer glitch was discovered. Since she was willing to pay the original price once, it makes sense that she would pay it again.

I bet the pluto code probably wasn't even available for the room category she originally booked. Some how, she was able to apply the code and book it. I think it was an honest mistake. I often read about people getting really good deals through CRO and it seems to be the luck of the draw. If she never had the original reservation, her online reservation may have been honored or atleast modified to an acceptable degree (lower room category). But I think the original reservation is the reason Disney will not budge on this.

At any rate, I believe as a first time visitor she took that offer in good faith. Her situation should have been handled better by CRO. I hope that she will follow up and write a letter to describe how poorly the customer service part of her trip was handled. She does deserve some type of consolation for her trouble.

To OP - I hope you have a fantastic trip!!!!!!!!

p.s. I once booked a 5 night stay at Waterville Valley NH at a very good nightly rate. When I checked in the person behind the counter said, "You were given the incorrect rate for this room. The room is much more expensive than what you paid, but we will honor it". Her tone was so condescending and demeaning that she made me feel like crap (especially after driving for 10 hours). I vowed I would not return there soley on the basis of her abdominable customer service.

I once was online as the Marriott was loading some room rates in I guess. (Not Orlando) and it showed up as $17 a night for a regular room and $19 for a club level.
I figured what the heck, and booked one weekend that was about 3 weeks away, and then another weekend about 2 months away. This hotel was about an hour from my house, and made for a good little weekend getaway.

Within 15 mins my phone rang. It was the hotel saying it was suppossed to be 179 and 199 and it was some sort of computer glitch. I was expecting the call, but hoping it wouldn't be. She said she could offer me a rate of 129 because of the error. I said no thanks, if I see an item at walmart tagged $1 and all the rest say $100, walmart has to honor the $1 price. I said the same principal should apply. I wanted to push it a bit to see what would happen, not really expecting her to cave.
She said 'You know you are right, so please enjoy your stay'.
I stayed there for $19 a night TWICE. :)
THAT is good customer service!

I love Disney- love it! love it! love it! But I still have the objectivity to see when they make a mistake.
So WHAT if the price they told her was "too good to be true"- it was the price THEY told her. They didn't bargain or haggle over a price- they quoted her a price and then she paid it. Very simple. She confimed the balance due 3 times!!! 3 times!!!! If anyone is going to say, hold on... this seems to good to be true- it should have been a CM at CRO.

Not to mention the CM who quoted her the original price! Ok here's a person who books disney vacations all day long- it is their JOB to book Disney vacations. This person should have a very good understanding of what Disney vacations cost- with codes, without codes, DDP, park hoppers, etc. Some of you are still trying to say that OP should have known better???? (remember, she is a first time visitor) If anyone should have said, hang on, this doesn't sound right- it was the CM who booked her vacation! If it was the wrong price, or at least a price that should send up a red flag. I think there is a strong possibility that the CM didn't question the price, (or any of the other 3 CM who confirmed the price up to day 11) was because maybe it was the RIGHT PRICE!!!! Just a thought.:surfweb:
(I think some of you are just mad because you are paying $2300 for your value vacations, and she was only charged $700 more for her CL deluxe!!)
If I were OP, I would take it up with my CC company as a last resort. I realize you probably won't get anywhere now, but put them to work for you. Send them all of your documents and phone conversations. A lot of cards offer consumer protection against these sorts of things.
Good Luck- It sounds like you have planned the trip of a lifetime!

I agree totally.
I'm sure that a lot of people on this board have gotten a deal that seemed "too good to be true" from one merchant or another and accepted it.
I don't mean a cashier mistake in counting change or a wait staff forgetting to include all your meal.
I mean going to a store, buying a costly item, presenting a discount coupon and having the register scan it up at a "really good" price. You ask the cashier, "is that right?" they say it is, you pay and leave the store, get in your car and drive around to the pick up door.
At that point, don't you expect it to be delivered? How would you react if they said, "sorry, you will have to pay "$X" more if you want it"?

I think everyone is missing the Point that it WAS NOT a Price To Good It was a 40% discount pin code sent to the OP not found here on the boards and try to slip it buy.

I agree there was a glitch but it seems to be after the fact (10days before or so) and wiped her 40% off. Now when they try to apply it there are no longer rooms avail so it doesn't take. If a balance was due at the 45day mark the ressie could have been cancled all together for none pay of balance . It was not and nothing sent according to OP.

I agree with the Bait and switch here because of computer issues and it would be taken higher up the chain after the trip.

No matter how slice it.. something more was afoot here than the 40% off code...

2999 vs 5999 is 50% off the entire package including 50% off the tickets AND the dining plan.. Disney has NEVER offered any such huge discount on 'everything' in the package to my knowledge.

That's a pretty serious error on Disney's part. There was no code that I'm aware of that gave you 76% off your room rate... which is what it would almost have to be to "half" the price of the entire package.

:confused3

Knox

I think it is time for everyone to make their final posts on this topic. We are just going round and round about what Disney did or might have done.

Thanks safetymom.

Twinny, hope you have a magical vacation.:wizard:

I think it is time for everyone to make their final posts on this topic. We are just going round and round about what Disney did or might have done.

Deja Vu???

Twinny, I know you and your family will have a fabulous time at Disney.

Once you drive through those DW gates, no worries my friend!:hippie:

I will say thanks again! Not everyone who comes here looking for information is a veteran and I am sure this thread helped someone, glad I got to read it:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter