Last 2013 Alaska? Weather?

nunzia

You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys
I was looking at Sep 2 Alaska sailing..is this too late to go and hope for warmish weather?

I was looking at Sep 2 Alaska sailing..is this too late to go and hope for warmish weather?
Define "warmish." ;) If by that you mean short-sleeve weather, then no. Will you get snow and ice? No. Typical Alaskan weather during that time--heck, during most of the Alaskan summer--means 50s and 60s with a fair amount of overcast skies, drizzle, and lows perhaps in the 40s. That's the typical weather, but your particular experience might be different, but I wouldn't count on it. That being said, Alaska is a majestic place to visit, and as long as you dress appropriately (layers, water-resistant outer jacket, et. al.), you'll have a great time.

We went on the next to last cruise of the season (so September), and it was in the 50s. We thought it was fabulous! (a cool break for us after a long hot summer) Plus, at the end of the season, everything in the ports is on sale! (fleeces, sweatshirts, etc)

We bundled up on the 7/26/11 cruise in Alaska. It was warmish the day we were at Mendenhal Glacier, but that was compared to the other days, where we took off our first two layers and enjoyed walking around in our sweatshirts & jeans instead of being bundled up. You don't go to Alaska for warmth, IMO. It was beautiful and DH's favorite cruise so far. We want to go back ASAP!

We went on the next to last cruise of the season (so September), and it was in the 50s. We thought it was fabulous! (a cool break for us after a long hot summer) Plus, at the end of the season, everything in the ports is on sale! (fleeces, sweatshirts, etc)

We were on the last Alaska cruise in 2011 (Aug 29 - Sep 7) and had similar weather - temps in the hi 50's - low 60's. It was misty/sprinkly in Juneau, but otherwise clear, from what I recall. Bring a waterproof outer layer and waterproof/resistant shoes, a hat & gloves and you should be fine.

I cleaned up an old pair of sneakers & used waterproofing spray on them - then tossed at the end of the cruise to make room for more souvenirs! I also bought a $20 winter jacket (on clearance) that has seen me thru two Indiana winters so far.

September 2011 wasn't too bad as far as the temperature, a sweatshirt and a rain jacket and jeans were fine for excursions. The rain jacket was necessary as it drizzled steadily in all the ports.

I'll agree with the end of the season sales in the port souvenir shops. I bought more stuff on that cruise...

We too were on the last 2011 Alaska, weather was great. Its not the Caribbean but we only hit 1 day of the wetter, damp dreary weather. Day in Tracy Arm got chilly sitting on the upper deck but they had blankets if you wanted to sit on lounge chairs, deck 4 is another option but you may lack sun. Ditto with everything on sale, there was only 1 more ship scheduled into port behind us so all shops were liquidating and the seasonal help were preparing to head back to the lower 48 for the winter, some already left. We flew up onto a glacier and into a lake with jackets and walked around town in short sleeve shirts (we are from Minnesota).

We were on the last Alaska cruise in 2011 (Aug 29 - Sep 7) and had similar weather - temps in the hi 50's - low 60's. It was misty/sprinkly in Juneau, but otherwise clear, from what I recall. Bring a waterproof outer layer and waterproof/resistant shoes, a hat & gloves and you should be fine.

Ditto to this. We went the last cruise in 2012 and the only rain we saw was in Juneau and that was drizzly, Seattle-like rain. We wore our heavy coats in Juneau and Skagway (because our excursion took us up in the Yukon), and a sweatshirt in Ketchikan. We loved every minute of this cruise!

I have cruised to Alaska twice. The first time in late August, 2009 and then again in late June 2012. The weather on our cruise in late August was absolutely beautiful. Temps in the high 60's and low 70's. It was sunny every day. Our cruise last year in late June was the opposite. It was cold, windy and rainy. You just never know. Alaska is very unpredictable.

There was a trip report in 2011 on the DIS from a poster who took a Sept cruise (non DCL) and they were miserable b/c of the weather. After I read it, I stopped considering end of the season cruises. Maybe just a fluke, but alot of people responding to the TR were reprimanding her for her decision to go cheap and go in Sept. The whole thing was super harsh and sad to read b/c they'd spent alot of money and it was a dream trip.

Anyway, I went last year in July and the weather was great. Hot in Skagway, nice in Juneau, and cold in Tracy Arm and Ketchikan.

This is the cruise we have decided on as well.
When I did weather research, there was not really a big difference in temps. from August to September.

We are going to do the layers and waterproofing of old sneakers (I love this tip) and just enjoy what looks like an amazing vacation.

I have sailed to ALaska in JUne-July-AUgust-September. August always seems to have the warmest weather- shorts weather! And, the salmon are running so you see more active bears and eagles. My one time September cruise was Sept. 20. It was chilly, gray and rainy.However, all of the shops were offering deep discounts on souveniers.

We're booked on this cruise (9/2/13). I'm expecting to be freezing, since I feel cold at anything below 70 degrees. I'll think "warm, winter clothes" when I pack, and I'll be quite content. My DH, on the other hand, thinks that anything above 40 degrees is warm, so he'll be thinking "spring weather". We both live in layers, and from people I've talked to who've cruised to Alaska at this time of year, that's the secret. The weather is changeable and varies from port to port, so just be prepared. Sweaters, sweatshirts, gloves, hats and waterproofed outer layers are all things that can be removed and re-added quickly!

I'm really looking forward to this trip, even though I hate being cold. Alaska is a beautiful place!

Beth

We were on the August 27 - September 3, 2012, cruise and had beautiful weather the entire week. Every port we were going around in T-shirts and sunglasses! Temps were in the mid to upper 60's. Glacier day was gorgeous. So, warm temps in early September are possible!

I've sailed to Alaska 3 times.
2 times in June............2004. They were having a heat wave ;) Mid 80s. It was wonderful
2012.......cold. Wore coats all the time. Windy too.

The other time was Sept 2010 and it was cold and rainy the whole time.

I would not hesitate to go again. I love cruising there.

We were on the August 27 - September 3, 2012, cruise and had beautiful weather the entire week. Every port we were going around in T-shirts and sunglasses! Temps were in the mid to upper 60's. Glacier day was gorgeous. So, warm temps in early September are possible!

I am so looking forward to this cruise.
I hope to see some beautiful blue skies, but I will take whatever we get.:hyper:

Our first cruise to Alaska was 18 Sep 2009 (not DCL). The weather was actually quite similar to what we had on our last Alaska cruise in June 2012. Generally about 50-55 degrees daily. Glacier Bay day & Juneau (both times) overcast and drizzly. The biggest difference was the amount of daylight. In June sunrise was around 4:30 am with sunset around 10:30pm. In September sunrise was around 7:00am with sunset being around 8:00pm.

Our first cruise to Alaska was 18 Sep 2009 (not DCL). The weather was actually quite similar to what we had on our last Alaska cruise in June 2012. Generally about 50-55 degrees daily. Glacier Bay day & Juneau (both times) overcast and drizzly. The biggest difference was the amount of daylight. In June sunrise was around 4:30 am with sunset around 10:30pm. In September sunrise was around 7:00am with sunset being around 8:00pm.

Oh wow! Thanks for that detail, so we will have regular days :):) even better.
We were wondering how we would sleep.

So dinner at Palo at 7:30 will be even better with a sunset.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter