• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Las Vegas to Disneyland on a Sunday

For those in the know.....

What is it like driving from vegas to DL on a Monday?

We are planning on leaving Vegas Oct 8, which is a Holiday? (I could be wrong, since as a Canadian I am not sure)

So would the Sunday driving rules, leave early etc apply if it is a holiday for the U.S.?

If it is not a holiday, any tips on what time to leave?

Thanks so much

We are planning on leaving Vegas Oct 8, which is a Holiday? (I could be wrong, since as a Canadian I am not sure)

So would the Sunday driving rules, leave early etc apply if it is a holiday for the U.S.?

Thanks so much
I do not know. If I had to guess I would say Columbus Day will impact traffic a little but nothing like a normal Sunday or a Monday which is a major holiday like Memorial Day or Labor Day.

FWIW, here is a list of American holidays for our international members:

"List of American Holidays" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1937849

It all depends. If half of Southern California chose to drive to Vegas for the weekend, it will be an incredible nightmare. Friends of ours were stuck in the Baker to Vegas relay race traffic on the way home, and it took 10 hours. They left at 11am. I would suggest being out of there no later than 9am.

My $.02 based on experience. I wouldn't leave LV no later than 10 a.m. or after 7 p.m. The majority of the traffic will be on the I15 until you get into So Cal metropolitan area. From there you can take the 210, 60 or 91. IMHO, the 91 is the best route and I disagree with an earlier PP to stay away from the 91. The 91 westbound on a Sunday will be fine. However, with one caveat and it applies to all of our freeways (an accident). If you have a smart phone, use sigalert.com or Google maps to monitor traffic.

For Virgoinab, our banks and governments get Columbus day off and So Cal traffic is light for a weekday. I would apply the same logic for that Monday as I would a Sunday. Traffic from LV maybe a little heavier than a regular sunday weekend based on the three day holiday for some.

Hmmm. I had not even thought of this. We will be leaving DLR on a Friday and driving to Vegas. I was hoping to stay at DLR until around 2...is that a terrible idea?

Again my $.02, you need to be on the road by 2:00 p.m. If it's a holiday weekend, even a couple of hours earlier.

Virgoinab said:

Thanks so much

We are leaving Vegas that day, too. DH is planning on everyone being up and ready to leave by 6 am. DLR should be open 8-12 that day so we figure we have a lot of time at the parks. We hope to be in there by 11 am.

Hm. Let me check my notes -

We reached Vegas at 705 AM on Sunday Jul 01. It was already 28C. We stopped for bathroom/gas/brunch in Barstow at 10 am and reached our hotel in Anaheim (Desert Palms Inn and Suites) at 130 pm. 36C. We wanted to get through the desert before the heat of the day hit. We chose the I15/91 (I think?)/10 route.

Going back to Vegas, we left Anaheim at 1130 AM Sunday Jul 08 and reached Vegas about 430 PM. Traffic going the other way (Nevada to California) was absolutely insane and was at a standstill in several places. Overheating cars everywhere we looked. Temps through the Mojave hovered in the 44-46C range.

Never considered travel issues between Vegas and DL. We are heading out next week, arriving at DL on Tuesday morning around 10 - 11am. What kind of traffic can we expect leaving Vegas on Tuesday around 6am?

Greg

gwidener350z said:
Never considered travel issues between Vegas and DL. We are heading out next week, arriving at DL on Tuesday morning around 10 - 11am. What kind of traffic can we expect leaving Vegas on Tuesday around 6am?

Greg

None on a Tuesday except maybe when you get into California metro area. The Vegas issue is only on Sundays and some holidays.

Greg

None, except if there is a fatality on the 15. It should be smooth sailing, that is the PERFECT time to leave Vegas and hit no traffic. Just don't go over 70, because the CHP is out in force.

Hmmm. I had not even thought of this. We will be leaving DLR on a Friday and driving to Vegas. I was hoping to stay at DLR until around 2...is that a terrible idea?

Keep in mind, 1/2 of Southern CA (okay, I'm exaggerating...but not by much) is in their car, heading for Vegas too. Even when traffic does start moving, it is a scary leap frog situation on the 2 lane road, with everyone trying to outrun their lane neighbor. Either leave by 8am on Friday to enjoy the day in Vegas or after 7pm on Friday.

None on a Tuesday except maybe when you get into California metro area. The Vegas issue is only on Sundays and some holidays.

None, except if there is a fatality on the 15. It should be smooth sailing, that is the PERFECT time to leave Vegas and hit no traffic. Just don't go over 70, because the CHP is out in force.

Thanks for the info, we are hitting the road early Monday and looking forward to a great vacation.

Greg

I live in Las Vegas and I can confirm, it is well known around here that you do NOT set off to Southern California on a Sunday afternoon. Now, if you leave really early or really late, yes, it will be better. It takes 4 and halfish hours to get to Anaheim, normally.

I do everything to avoid Sunday traffic from Vegas to CA. We don't DO Vegas, but we travel through it on the way home from other destinations. When DH and I were young and newly married (25+ years ago), we would do the Sunday trip, but after one Sunday after Thanksgiving, when it took us 12 hours to get home (normally 4 hours), I said never again. I'll have the kids miss school on Monday and travel on that day if I have to, but I usually travel a day early on Saturday. If it's a Sunday after a holiday, you usually have to leave before 6 am to guarantee no traffic. If it's a regular Sunday, then like the others have stated, go before 9 am or after 9 pm. It is way hot there. I just got back from Vegas on Thursday, and we had temperatures from 103-120 F. It never got below 100 F. If you're in stop and go traffic, you're likely to risk overheating even if you've turned off your AC. When we traveled through Vegas 2 weeks ago on our way to Colorado, there was an accident, and we were in stop and go traffic for about 30 minutes. We had to turn off the AC and were worried about overheating. Our car is in good shape.

What happens is the checkout times for the Las Vegas hotels are all at around 11am to 1pm. So everyone checks out and gets on the road at the same time. The previously mentioned before 8am or after 8pm rule seems to be good, either way check the traffic before you leave.

The other thing you could do is after Hoover Dam you could take US93 south after going back through Boulder City. You could cut over to I-15 by turning right in Searchlight. You could also continue down 93 to I-40 and jog down on some smaller roads to I-10 and come in that way. But the I-10 way will take 6 hours with no traffic, but it is more scenic and less traveled than I-15.

I personally would stick with I-15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter