Larger People Fitting in Ride Cars

mcgraws

Mouseketeer
I am somewhat above average in the weight department and I am concerned about the size of ride vehicles at US/IOA.

Are the ride vehicles substantially smaller than at Disney? Are there some rides I should avoid so I won't be embarassed.

I am woman who is about a size 20, 210lbs, should I be concerned?

I am somewhat above average in the weight department and I am concerned about the size of ride vehicles at US/IOA.

Are the ride vehicles substantially smaller than at Disney? Are there some rides I should avoid so I won't be embarassed.

I am woman who is about a size 20, 210lbs, should I be concerned?
The size of the ride vehicles depends on the type of attraction you're talking about. There are several attractions that have test seats out front for the sole purpose of testing them out before you spend time in the queue only to find you're not going to fit. There are test seats at: Dr. Doom, Hulk, Dragon Challenge, Forbidden Journey and Ripsaw Falls at IOA. At the Studios, there are test seats for Rockit and Revenge of the Mummy. There is no difference in the look of the modified seat except that it has two belt buckles instead of one.

You should not be embarassed to try the test seats...that's why they're there after all.

I think alot depends on where you carry the weight since the size issues I have heard about tend to be those that carry it in the chest and abdomen area ..In any event, don't be embarassed ,just give the demo seats out front a try first

I am a bit larger than the original poster, although we wear the same size, and I have never had an issue. I am concerned however about Harry Potter as the UOG talks about the challenges on this attraction for fluffier people. Does anyone have "big person" experience with forbidden journey?

Thanks!
Anne

I have concerns for FJ also. My son is taller than most with rather broad shoulders...It will be a shame if he doesn't fit.

We were there in December. Both my dd and her friend are plus size, and both of them were able to ride the Forbidden Journey. However, they could not ride the Rip Ride Rocket.

interesting...I have not tried that coaster yet, I have always been able to ride everything else....were they able to ride the hulk?

My DH was able to ride the Mummy last time we went (years ago). If he is still the same size, will he have problems on Forbidden Journey?

I too am interested in the size of seats. I am somewhat larger than the op... ranging from 270-280, I am usually a 28, carry my weight pretty evenly, although my hips have started growing larger than everything else. We are only able to spend 1 day at Universal, and while I am a HP fan, I don't expect to be able to ride FJ, but will check the test seat just in case. 2 years ago we went to Kings Island in Ohio, there was a brand new coaster and I tried the test seat and FAILED! All the rest of the rides I tried that day were ok though. Would rather know now if its gonna be ok, before I pay for non-refundable tickets.

I'd like to add another question to this one...

Now some rides do have test seats, like Rip Ride Rocket (which I didn't quite fit into, though if I'd forced it it might have gone, didn't facny the thought of riding like that though), but am I correct in saying the test seats are for the standard sized seats only or is is one standard seat and one modified seat?

If the test seats are only for the standard seats, how can you be sure you'll fit in a modified one?

I'd like to add another question to this one...

Now some rides do have test seats, like Rip Ride Rocket (which I didn't quite fit into, though if I'd forced it it might have gone, didn't facny the thought of riding like that though), but am I correct in saying the test seats are for the standard sized seats only or is is one standard seat and one modified seat?

If the test seats are only for the standard seats, how can you be sure you'll fit in a modified one?
The modified seats have the two belt buckles as opposed to one on the regular seat. On the coasters at IOA, there are modified seats on rows three and six of each train. On Revenge of the Mummy, the back row is considered modified seating because of the leg room. Here are the modified seats on Hulk and Dragon Challenge:

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

I don't have any pictures of Forbidden Journey's test seats. If the attraction has test seats out front and you are concerned you won't fit, make sure you try out the seats...that's why they're there.

The modified seats have the two belt buckles as opposed to one on the regular seat. On the coasters at IOA, there are modified seats on rows three and six of each train. On Revenge of the Mummy, the back row is considered modified seating because of the leg room. Here are the modified seats on Hulk and Dragon Challenge:

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

I don't have any pictures of Forbidden Journey's test seats. If the attraction has test seats out front and you are concerned you won't fit, make sure you try out the seats...that's why they're there.

Well, your answer didn't quite cover what I asked but your photos did. There's a standard and a modified seat outside for testing. I honestly didn't realise there were 2 different seats and the reason I didn't fit Rip Ride Rocket is probably because I tried the standard seat (I fit on the mummy just fine).

I'll have to double check next time I visit as I'd love to give rocket a shot. :)

I think there was a thread about people fitting on FJ with sizes listed. I rode everything last summer with no problems and wore a size 16/18. most of my weight is in the hip/but area so some seats were snug in that area but otherwise it was ok.

look for modified seats on rides and on FJ try to get a seat on the ends. These seemed to be bigger. Good luck and have a great time!!!

I can tell you from a recent visit that Forbidden Journey was not an issue for me (M,6',280) with the modified seats. Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Doctor Doom and RRR, I would really recommend using the test seats and insist on the modified seats if you need them. I was directed wrong in Dueling Dragons and Hulk and was really squished into a regular seat (in DD, it took two staff people to get it to close - how embarrassing for me). I am not an out-front person but I had to suck it up and end up verifying and making sure I got a seat that would work for me just so I would enjoy myself (something you may not be used to if you are used to going to WDW). It was a different experience going to Universal then to WDW, the one thing I was not really expecting.

I am a fluffy person and on the last day of our IOA my DD,DH and I were planning to ride the hulk coaster 10 times in a row (we were staying on site - HOORAY for front of the line!:banana:). However, even though I had fit in the "bigger" seat earlier in the week, the park attendant didn't care to take the time to help me get installed in the seat. Instead she embarrassingly kicked me off the ride. Needless to say, I am not going back there until I am sure I can ride every ride.

(This is why I love WDW ssssooooo much!:love::love:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter