• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Large Party - Grand Villa?

Thanks all, I've done my homework with points, so I know what my options are. Leaning toward GV at AKV at the moment, but understand what you mean about possibly needing two contracts. We'll shoot for Sun checkin, Friday checkout in mid-June, for the moment. So, since that would require 525 points, I'll probably have to shoot for two DVC rental contracts, one for the first half of the week, one for the second?

I chose AKV because, even as an extended family of 9, it's all about the grandkids, and I know they will be excited to get back to the rooms and see the animals.

Make sense?

I highly recommend AKV! Our extended family of 11 stayed there for a few nights pre-cruise. We had an amazing time. Since the GV was so large, we never ran into any privacy issues and didn't feel like we were all on top of each other. The guys really enjoyed the pool table which are only available if staying in Jambo House. We have fond memories of sitting around that great big dining table at dinner. It was one of the best vacations we ever spent together.

I highly recommend AKV! Our extended family of 11 stayed there for a few nights pre-cruise. We had an amazing time. Since the GV was so large, we never ran into any privacy issues and didn't feel like we were all on top of each other. The guys really enjoyed the pool table which are only available if staying in Jambo House. We have fond memories of sitting around that great big dining table at dinner. It was one of the best vacations we ever spent together.

Sounds like you had a great time. Any inconveniences with the bathrooms with that many people? What age kids were in you party? See lots of animals from your balconies? Did you like the pool and did you make it over Kidanis water area? How did your family like the restaurants there? (Sorry for all the questions, you've got me all fired up again! )

Sounds like you had a great time. Any inconveniences with the bathrooms with that many people? What age kids were in you party? See lots of animals from your balconies? Did you like the pool and did you make it over Kidanis water area? How did your family like the restaurants there? (Sorry for all the questions, you've got me all fired up again! )

I'm happy to answer any questions!

We didn't have any bathroom issues. Each bedroom had its own bathroom plus a 4th off of the foyer.

My niece and nephew were four and six at the time. There were a total of nine adults consisting of myself, two married couples and my three adult sons who were 20, 22 and 24.

As for animals, we saw many! Views were great and we had three large balconies.
We didn't go over to Kidani that trip but really enjoyed the Samawati Springs pool.

While I love the peacefulness of Kidani, we really enjoyed being in the middle of it all at Jambo House. It was the perfect location for our family. We were near all of the restaurants we enjoy dining at each trip and had easy access to The Mara which was important due to having the kids along. The grand villas at Jambo House are also slightly larger than the ones at Kidani. I did a lot of research before making the decision to stay there and it worked great!

ETA: I just realized that I didn't really answer your questions about the restaurants. Boma is our favorite buffet in all of WDW for both breakfast and dinner. We dine there each trip regardless of where we stay. Jiko offers fine dining and is another one our favorite spots. As I mentioned before, you'd have easy access to The Mara at Jambo House. We've eaten there many times and like that it's adjacent to the pool. Kidani only has Sanaa which is a sit down restaurant, although they're testing out quick service offerings for breakfast.

Honestly, for a large group, Jambo House IMO offers more flexibility. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Honestly, for a large group, Jambo House IMO offers more flexibility. Hope that helps.

I was leaning toward Kidani, but I see you've been to both. You may have convinced me of Jambo, assuming I can get in! Since you've been to both, which pool did you like better? Were both savannas comparable for number of animals?

We recently stayed in a Grand Villa at Old Key West. There were 10 of us total; 3 generations! The youngest was under a year old.

It was really cool because each family had their own bedroom and private bath, but we could all congregate very comfortably in the kitchen and living room. I recommend a GV just for that reason because if you had separate rooms, you wouldn't have those big living spaces to hang out in.

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. We are planning on staying at OKW in a GV because there will be 7 of us going (2 families) and we thought that they could have their own space and we can have our own space and then meet in the middle to have meals or hang out in the front room/patio. I was contemplating on just getting 2 1-bedrooms for each family, but I think the GV is the way to go in the end.

I was leaning toward Kidani, but I see you've been to both. You may have convinced me of Jambo, assuming I can get in! Since you've been to both, which pool did you like better? Were both savannas comparable for number of animals?

I took a poll and my family all agreed that they love both but give the edge to the one at Jambo House. On a prior trip, I do remember my niece and nephew had a great time at the water play area. You can always shuttle over.

As for the savannahs, I'd say they're pretty comparable but there are some differences as to which animals they have at the various ones. This site lists which animals are on each savannah and also has other helpful info: http://www.aklresort.com/. We don't have a preference, we've enjoyed them all.

12-13 of us, including 5 kids. First couple of times we did 2, 2 BR, but last trip we all had our own studio. As much as we all love each other, We really liked having our own "private time" once in a while. It also uses less points. When we talked about next summers trip, the group requested studios.

12-13 of us, including 5 kids. First couple of times we did 2, 2 BR, but last trip we all had our own studio. As much as we all love each other, We really liked having our own "private time" once in a while. It also uses less points. When we talked about next summers trip, the group requested studios.

so what did you do when you wanted to come together as a group?

I'm happy to answer any questions!

We didn't have any bathroom issues. Each bedroom had its own bathroom plus a 4th off of the foyer.

My niece and nephew were four and six at the time. There were a total of nine adults consisting of myself, two married couples and my three adult sons who were 20, 22 and 24.

Can you tell me what the sleeping arrangements were for everyone in the Jambo gv? Was anyone sleeping in the living room pullout sofa? It seems that's the sleeping place that gets disturbed by early risers and I prefer when no one sleeps there, but sometimes it can't be helped.

We have a group of 9 going for 10 days in May and had no trouble renting points for a GV at each resort, but we are (intentionally) doing a 3-way split between BLT, GF and AKV. We had considered doing 2 two-bedroom villas, but we like the idea of everyone being under one "roof". Good luck in your planning!

We all have different routines, but with the size of each of the GV's, we aren't worried about "separation" :)

We have a group of 9 going for 10 days in May and had no trouble renting points for a GV at each resort, but we are (intentionally) doing a 3-way split between BLT, GF and AKV. We had considered doing 2 two-bedroom villas, but we like the idea of everyone being under one "roof". Good luck in your planning!

We all have different routines, but with the size of each of the GV's, we aren't worried about "separation" :)

We've come to that conclusion too, we love the idea of hopefully doing some animal viewing at AKV when we return each day. And, it appears that there is usually no problem getting a GV at the 7 month window during the time we are going at AKV, and I already have my renter points lined up.

I would do a Grand Villa, OKW (where a Grand Villa is the best DVC deal I know of). OKW GVs have an awesome large balcony.
There are some that overlook one of the pools, and while not officially in the HH area, are close enough to walk to the HH area.
OKW points are also easy to find on the rental market.

Another option is an SSR Tree house. With 9 you will be maximizing allowed occupancy, which means a bit crowded. But you will have a bit more outside space, than you will get with an OKW GV.
SSR points are also easy to find on the rental market.

Both of these should be reserved 11 months out.
I would start finding a person to rent from at least a few weeks before the 11 month window, so it can be arranged ahead, and the owner can make the reservation as soon as the first date of your reservation falls into the 11 month window.

...Another option is an SSR Tree house. With 9 you will be maximizing allowed occupancy, which means a bit crowded. But you will have a bit more outside space, than you will get with an OKW GV.
SSR points are also easy to find on the rental market.

Both of these should be reserved 11 months out.
I would start finding a person to rent from at least a few weeks before the 11 month window, so it can be arranged ahead, and the owner can make the reservation as soon as the first date of your reservation falls into the 11 month window.
But two of the nine would have to be kids or short adults to sleep in the bunks. They are smaller and narrower than twin beds. And the floor space in the bunk bed room is very limited.

We were in 2, 2 BR at kidani. HAving stayed at jambo, liked it same. Park days so no pool time. Loved the grounds and the transport.
Set up was good but table was small for room size imho.
Enjoy ur trip

We were in 2, 2 BR at kidani. HAving stayed at jambo, liked it same. Park days so no pool time. Loved the grounds and the transport.
Set up was good but table was small for room size imho.
Enjoy ur trip

Were you able to be near each other? Did you feel like you still got a lot of together time? I'm thinking of doing this with my family - DH, me, DS23 in one, DS27/wife/baby and DS29/wife/baby in the other.

Were you able to be near each other? Did you feel like you still got a lot of together time? I'm thinking of doing this with my family - DH, me, DS23 in one, DS27/wife/baby and DS29/wife/baby in the other.

The rooms were down the hall from each other ( about 4-5 apart, same side) and worked fine for us. We seemed to be n and out of each other's rooms constantly. We spent most time at parks and had snacks but no meals in rooms. The actual table area not conducive for group eating for us.
We set up times that worked to all meet at our room n off we went for the day. I think it'd work fine as ur set up!

We all LOVED waking up n coffee on balconys watching animals... and the oatmeal downstairs at store was YUMMY too. Enjoyed our stay very much. Buses were excellent, resort immaculate and the CM's near animal viewing areas were Awesome as well
Enjoy

There are only six GV at Jambo House, we rented for one night at the 11 month, and by 9 months there were none left...so happy we didn't wait to rent...think hard, I know the points are cheaper after 7 months, but you can be locked out.

Should I shoot for a grand villa, or would you recommend multiple smaller villas for the added privacy?
Well, we're the vacation all together kind of people, so we've enjoyed the OKW GV's many times over the years. We don't see each other too often so when we get together, privacy is the last thing we seek. Meals together, staying up late telling stories, sharing the day's events, wine on the patio balcony, we love being together. My two cents! Good luck with your decision!

Well, we're the vacation all together kind of people, so we've enjoyed the OKW GV's many times over the years. We don't see each other too often so when we get together, privacy is the last thing we seek. Meals together, staying up late telling stories, sharing the day's events, wine on the patio balcony, we love being together. My two cents! Good luck with your decision!

You sound like you're describing our family, we're the same way. Plus, we're shooting for first week of June (last week of lower points), and given dsruba's chart, we should have no problem getting a AKV GV at the 7-month window; already have my point renter lined up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter