Large Fire In San Diego: Not a good DLR day.

I hope everyone is safe:):) Oh and that's really terrible to hear about a arsonist! Grrr...

Resident_Pixie: What a few days you have had! Glad that you and your family are all ok - and hey, a few unplanned at DL, yay!

Roses: A day off from school is always nice, but yeah, sometimes not so great. Hope all is good.

Pirate_Anya: Stay safe.

A few of you have asked me questions in game and I am a bit unsure how much I can or cant say so I just thought I'd update you here:
- We are still safe, although stressed. I have been watching the news close to 24 hours a day for 3 days (probably too much) to keep track of the fire nearest to us.
- We are close enough to think about a plan, but not close enough to have been affected yet - and hopefully won't be.
- I've packed a few things, but resisting the urge to pack the whole place pre-maturely.
- I have photographed the entire house.
- I cannot see flames from my house. (Thankfully.) My mantra for the week? "no wind no wind"
- The air outside is nasty. I usually have the windows open all day and my dog goes in and out from the yard all day as he pleases. Today he is under "house arrest" because we just aren't comfortable with him breathing the outside air all day.
- There is ash in the air, on the ground, on the car, etc....
- The authorities are fairly certain we are in the tense situation due to an arsonist who intentionally set this fire. There are no words. There is a $70,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person / people responsible.

I think that answers most of the questions some of you have asked me in game that I am just not sure how much I can answer there. Thanks for your concern and best wishes. Oh, and the answer to my favorite question: No, I have not ventured out to see W. or Schwarzenegger, but thanks for asking - you gave me a giggle.

And if I may just share: It is true that making sure our family, friends, and pets are safe is of course the most important thing, but when you are sitting in your house thinking, "What should I try to save?" it is a bit surreal. I am not beyond admitting that I like my book collection, my Disney collectibles, my artwork collection, our collection of all things Eiffel Tower. The list goes on and on. Sure, if I had to grab 1 "thing" and run, without question it's my angel, my pup. Although, when you have time to think about, "What do I want to take that can fit in 1 car?" it's amazing how overwhelmed you can suddenly feel. I cannot even imagine what those like Resident_Pixie have been through.

Several of you have kept me company in game the last few days, helped keep my mind busy, and have just let me get some nervousness out around you in a variety of way. Thanks for being there. It's odd - you can't really turn to your nearby friends in a time like this because they are all going through the same thing. How lucky am I to have friends around the globe from a little virtual game that I can get support from? Funny how life is sometimes. :grouphug:

I know there are others out there in the same situation as I, as well as worse. My thoughts and heartfelt hopes for everyone affected in anyway during these tense events. May you, your friends, your loved ones, and yes, even your "stuff" be okay.

Wishes and thoughts for the absolute best to everyone,
Dreams

And if I may just share: It is true that making sure our family, friends, and pets are safe, but when you are sitting in your house thinking, "What should I try to save?" it is a bit surreal. I am not beyond admitting that I like my book collection, my Disney collectibles, my artwork collection, our collection of all things Eiffel Tower. The list goes on and on. Sure, if I had to grab 1 "thing" and run, without question it's my angel, my pup. Although, when you have time to think about, "What do I want to take that can fit in 1 car?" it's amazing how overwhelmed you can suddenly feel. I cannot even imagine what those like Resident_Pixie have been through.

We have had to evacuate a couple times before due to fires, though thankfully (and shockingly) not this time. I have to say, that evacuation is the most surreal experience I have ever been through. In my mind, when I was younger, I used to think out in my head what I would grab if I absolutely had to, but actually having to do that is just incredibly bizarre. The plan that we've followed the times we have had to is that we get all the people first, then all the people get all the animals secure in the cars (which is quite a feat since we have two cats, a dog, and two parrots...one time a bird had to be taken in a laundry hamper). If our neighbors are not home, we get their two dogs as well. After all of that is secure, if we still have time we grab all of our pictures, which are in very useful and very compact cropper hopper photo cases that hold 2,000 each. If we STILL have time after that, we grab anything of sentimental value and then anything of financial value (i.e. laptop). The times we have had to evacuate, we've been able to take a lot of stuff with us. Maybe it's in part because we're so used to it that we know when to start packing up instead of waiting for official word from the firemen...because they won't tell you that you need to leave until it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. It took the fire being in our front yard before they told us to go one time. It's also actually pretty amazing how much you CAN grab when you have so much adrenaline racing through you. It's like it suddenly makes you superman/woman, able to lift heavy tubs without difficulty. The only thing is, once you get to slow down and the adrenaline high wears off, you ache all over for days.

To those close to the fires-

You have the prayers of 1,000 people from a small east coast Bible college! And from multitudes more all over the nation.
Please be blessed and stay safe.

I'm glad to hear everyone on here that's been affected by the fires is still okay. Well, as okay as can be given the situation. Continued pixiedust: and hoping the fire doesn't move any closer.

Being on the East Coast (where it has been constantly raining) its hard to imagine what it must be like over there. Big hugs to you all :grouphug: You are all in my prayers.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. They truly are appreciated.

Thank you Dreams for your well wishes. If you need any local help, PM me! We are safe, but do have terrible air quality. Yikes.

Hugs everyone. No VMK this week. I better log in soon and get my quest pin!! :rotfl:

Thank you EVERYONE for your well wishes and prayers. I am doing very well; no fire threat to me, but, like anya.sparrow, the air quality is terrible. The pollution caused by these fires is equal to the pollution emitted from 250,000 cars in one year. :scared1:

Stay safe everyone!

I hope all is well. May I ask, what is the cause of the fire?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter