Laptop or not?

sgc1107

sgc1107
Thinking of bringing my laptop & the only reason for this is to empty my card from my camera (photographer so I plan on taking a ton!) but is the safe big enough to put my laptop in? I do not want to leave it laying in the room! Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Obviously it depends on the size of your laptop, but the safe won't be big enough most most laptops. That said, I've taken my laptop on a cruise before and just left it in my bag in the room, no one ever touched it. If you need a little additional piece of mind you could keep it in your closet under a pile of clothes or something.

A few years ago I bought a netbook for this exact reason, emptying memory cards full of pictures. On that cruise the netbook barely fit in the safe on a carnival ship, so I ended up just leaving it in the bag as well.

I have taken mine on every cruise but I think I am going to leave it at home this time and just bring 2 photo cards to make sure I have plenty of room!!

I have brought my laptop on the Wonder several times and it fit it the safe. I know I brought it on the Dream but can't remember whether or not I put it in the safe??

Stephieann said:
I have taken mine on every cruise but I think I am going to leave it at home this time and just bring 2 photo cards to make sure I have plenty of room!!

I've thought of this however I shoot in raw format which take up much more memory. On my 32gb compact I can fit around 250-300 in raw. And a new compact flash is about $50 (for a reliable name brand) for a 32gb

I'm asking because a few weeks ago I saw a thread about an iPad stolen from a room what was under the bed in a bag!

I don't have measurements, but memory says would be difficult to get a laptop in the safe on the Fantasy.

I don't know how many pictures are in a ton :), but was worried about the same thing so took several 16GB cards with me. I had 2 cameras going and between them, have over 1700 pictures/videos. I just did a quick look at one camera has 1,167 pictures and 33 videos. Some of my videos are long too (I recorded the whole Pirates in the Carribean show).

Obviously it depends on the size of your laptop...
Exactly. My laptop with dimensions 14 3/8" by 9 3/4" fit into the safe on the Disney Wonder a month ago. OP should go measure his laptop now. :)

collectoraholic said:
Take a luggage lock & lock it in a suitcase when not in use if it won't fit in the safe. :thumbsup2

Great idea!!!

I say leave the laptop at home. No need to worry about it. Just buy more memory cards. They are relatively cheap and will fit in the safe.

I'm asking because a few weeks ago I saw a thread about an iPad stolen from a room what was under the bed in a bag!

This is why i have decided not to bring mine, i saw the thread also. We have never had a problem before but i don't want to take a chance!!!!

collectoraholic said:
Happy to help! :thumbsup2 We do this whenever my DH brings his laptop if we don't tote our big photography backpack. Just put it in a suitcase, lock it up & store it under the bed.

Ya there is no way in heck I'm lugging that thing around on top of my other stuff!

disneyfaninaz said:
I say leave the laptop at home. No need to worry about it. Just buy more memory cards. They are relatively cheap and will fit in the safe.

$50 a pop ain't cheap! Not SD cards we're talking compact flash, and I refuse to but an aftermarket brand. Not worth a possible problem loosing photos!

What about computers onboard? Anyway to use one to transfer to scan disk?

I have always brought my laptop on cruises with no problem. Now that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a problem, but I would guess that things like Ipads (& other assorted Iproducts) would be more of a theft risk than the average laptop.

What about computers onboard? Anyway to use one to transfer to scan disk?

The Classic ships have some desktops available but they are locked down to prevent any nasties being introduced into the system. Don't know how secure the laptops that are available to check out on the new ships are.

Do iPads fit in the safe on the Fantasy? I am considering bringing mine on our next cruise (mostly for amusement on the trip there) and would want to secure it for the duration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter